Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
Carl Mega said:
Depending on trail conditions - I was thinking of heading over there this weekend. Does anyone have the skinny? thnx.
my friend rode there last weekend and said it was good to go, a few spots of snow but not much....planning on going tomorrow afternoon...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Directions to trailhead and recommended route

Heard it's great there, but confusing if you don't know where you are going. What trailhead are you guys starting from and what route/trails are you following?

Thanks!

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
PattD said:
Heard it's great there, but confusing if you don't know where you are going. What trailhead are you guys starting from and what route/trails are you following?

Thanks!
i usually start at pine valley ranch if going up for the day (cty rd 550 if camping)...i climb Buck gulch about 30 min up, stay on the trail (veer left on singletrack past the kiosk), when you hit the double track i go right on that (left would go back down on strawberry and straight would be homestead) up to charlies cutoff, hit that (its fun)...when you hit the T at the end of charlies i go right (i think you are now on homestead)...after you cross the creek there will be a short uphill and just keep going straight on Sandy wash for quite a while til you hit the double track that is buff creek rd (from charlies to buff creek it is a good 20-30 minutes almost all downhill) i then turn right and follow that up to baldy (15-20 min), climb back up (again about 30 or so minutes...at the first intersection that is right away you can either climb gashouse or baldy, i prefer baldy, at the next intersection once up top go right, down to a doubletrack, go right, veer left on doubletrack and you will climb back up to where charlies is...from there either go straight down to strawberry and down, but sometimes i hit charlies again (i think i said its fun) and at the T go left on homestead to strawberry...that usually takes me 2:30-3:00 hours....hopefully that makes sense if you are looking at a map....i would say most trails are good both ways except charlies and shinglemill (its a grunt from buff creek road to cty rd 550)...if thats confusing let me know and i will try to be more clear..have fun

·
Your bike sucks
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to add that Pine Valley is off of 126.

Like Billy, I start there and do a similar loop to his description (up proposed/Homstead) - charlie's - sandy wash.....Also, I like riding up Morrison Creek or Shinglemill and then riding the CO trail to Grn Mtn and then back up Gas House (or Baldy) and finishing up with Skipper/Buck Gulch. A map helps the first couple of times out.

I'm heading there is about 1/2 hour.

·
Your bike sucks
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my report. Almost everything was in fantastic shape....

Strawberry, Charlies cut-off, Homestead, Skipper, Buck Gulch, Sandy Wash - all good to go - some down'd trees but that's about it.

Morrison Creek and the top 1/2 of Shinglemill was good - I didn't ride the bottom 1/2 of Shinglemill (saw others who did - they didn't mention anything so I'm assuming good to go)

Colorado Trail (Shinglemill to Grn Mtn) had some snow and wet - 85%-90% of the trail was perfect - if you are a super concerned about trail conditions then skip it but IMO it's OK to ride (provided you exercise caution to minimize your impact) - it's going to see lots of user traffic regardless

Grn Mtn loop had very little snow and good to ride - Very end of CO trail had some serious drainage issue but IMHO no harm, no foul - someone is going to need to improve the drain that runs across the trail so it stays there and doesn't run down the trail.

Gas house was good to go.

I didn't ride Baldy but I'm pretty sure it would be fine.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks!

Carl Mega said:
Here's my report. Almost everything was in fantastic shape....

Strawberry, Charlies cut-off, Homestead, Skipper, Buck Gulch, Sandy Wash - all good to go - some down'd trees but that's about it.

Morrison Creek and the top 1/2 of Shinglemill was good - I didn't ride the bottom 1/2 of Shinglemill (saw others who did - they didn't mention anything so I'm assuming good to go)

Colorado Trail (Shinglemill to Grn Mtn) had some snow and wet - 85%-90% of the trail was perfect - if you are a super concerned about trail conditions then skip it but IMO it's OK to ride (provided you exercise caution to minimize your impact) - it's going to see lots of user traffic regardless

Grn Mtn loop had very little snow and good to ride - Very end of CO trail had some serious drainage issue but IMHO no harm, no foul - someone is going to need to improve the drain that runs across the trail so it stays there and doesn't run down the trail.

Gas house was good to go.

I didn't ride Baldy but I'm pretty sure it would be fine.
Heading there this week sometime. THanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.