Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
I've got old bikes
13 Posts
Hey all, I'm a soon to be Alma owner - bought the last 2019 M50 27.5" Jenson had in stock for $1k + shipping. I've been looking to get a new bike as I haven't ridden in a long time and miss it - my vintage bikes aren't trail usable currently/have 26" wheels so I wanted to pick something more modern and of reasonable spec. I was looking for something on the more "fun" side of geo/spec but for the sale price I couldn't pass the Alma up, everything else I've been looking at has been double the price for similar spec even on sale.

I have some RF carbon risers I'll probably put on to raise the front a bit as I don't need or want to be in race position.

·
I've got old bikes
13 Posts
Well that was fast! Got the bike today and swapped RF SixC riser bars on, flipped the stem (it was set to neg rise), and put on my Atomic pedals which, like the bar, look a bit overkill on the Alma. I need to cut the seat post a bit as I am in full roadie extension with the post dropped as low as it can go - not a fan of seat tube bottle mounts for this reason. Also need to trim the bars in a bit which I never got around to when they were on my old ride and then get to setting up the fork.

The hubs are MT400s btw, didn't see any info on that. Bike came with a build sheet and the listed weight w/o pedals but I assume with reflectors was 26.52lbs.

·
I've got old bikes
13 Posts
Might as well keep this post going :)

Seatpost cut, ahh. Decided to go ahead and buy a Shimano shifter, I'm just used to the trigger down shift and really don't like SRAM's dual thumb method. Debated SLX/XT/XTR, do I stay cheap or do I blow $100+? Got the XT with 20% off, felt like a happy medium. I don't want to put too much into this bike as I'd like to move to a full sus bike with a lower/longer chassis if I get back into riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Might as well keep this post going :)

Seatpost cut, ahh. Decided to go ahead and buy a Shimano shifter, I'm just used to the trigger down shift and really don't like SRAM's dual thumb method. Debated SLX/XT/XTR, do I stay cheap or do I blow $100+? Got the XT with 20% off, felt like a happy medium. I don't want to put too much into this bike as I'd like to move to a full sus bike with a lower/longer chassis if I get back into riding.
You got a great deal on your Alma! I'm debating a 2019 Alma or Niner Air 9 RDO at a much higher, although still discounted, price. I'm also meh on the SRAM shifters--considering waiting for the 2020 Alma with SLX to go on sale, but that will mean I miss a season.

How are the Mach1 Klixx 23c stock wheels? Is the rear hub a regular boost or is it a 141 QR boost as was alluded to higher up in this thread? Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
my 2019 m30 has a 148mm long 12mm bolt through rear axle. the standard wheels are fiine....nothing amazing but there staying true well enough.

also i cant remember the exact weight but it was higher than i expected. my 2017 cube reaction of similar spec is noticeably lighter. I still like the alma though...but mostly for its looks as i love the colourway of the green and turquoise. dont get me wrong its not a bad bike and it rides quite nice and its not bad value. i just wish it was a little lighter but i am working on that (it just wont ever be as light as the cube with similar parts) but its still not bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks. Useful to know. The Alma M30 has a claimed weight of 25-26 lbs. Wrench Science lists the Alma OMP frame as 2.43 lbs (1.105 kg). If that's true then theoretically one could get the Alma's weight down. Looks like the Cube frame also comes in 2 flavors. The lower end 2020 Cube Reactions are listed at ~30 lbs but the ones with the C:62 frame and better forks are more like ~23-24 lbs.

also i cant remember the exact weight but it was higher than i expected. my 2017 cube reaction of similar spec is noticeably lighter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i cant remember the total weights but i know my 2017 cube reaction weighs just over 850 grams less and it has slightly lighter fork but the difference is equalized with it having a larger chainring and a chainguide and heavier saddle and tyres. im not sure that 25-26 lbs is correct as im sure mine weighs about that now and ive changed a fair bit to get it thereabouts. i will weigh mine again tomorrow if i remember and report back. i am only using luggage scales so im more interested in the difference between my bikes hence why i know the cube is lighter. the 2017 cube is different from the 2020 models so maybe they got heavier. the cube does have a shorter 142 x 12mm bolt through rear axle and its starting weight was 11.95 kg with a 2 x setup and a manitou m30 fork which i have replaced with a fox 32 (non stepcast) performance fork.

·
Registered
19 Posts
also the c62 are carbon and the non c62 ones are aluminium (for the current ones) so that may be why your seeing the heavier weights. the cheapest cube with a carbon frame costs 1499 and weighs 26.2lbs but has cheaper components such as a judy fork. a similar spec c62 race weighs only 23.6kg. Also the alma uses skinny ikon tyres too so once you put on a tyre of a more normal 2.3 size with some better grip that weight will go up too. Im not trying to say the alma is bad it does ride nice but when a company doesn't list weights on there sales literature i think its because there not exactly best in class. I know i can feel the difference between the two bikes in a fast lap of a local circuit but its not like the alma is a boat anchor....just that low weight its not its best feature. To be honest if i didn't like its looks so much (i think the 2019 turquoise and green is beautiful) i would prefer the cube as i know ill be a tiny bit faster on it. the alma rolls along nicely i just have to work a smidge harder is all but were splitting hairs here really its still a very nice bike so dont be too put of by what im saying. if your after the lightest bike i would say look elsewhere but if your not super bothered with a tiny but more weight go for it a its still a nice handling bike.

·
Big Damn Hero
491 Posts
Old thread... but my 2 cents are below. :)

I've had a 2012, 2015 and 2019 Alma. The progression over the years has been amazing. The 2019 frame is such a huge improvement over the earlier frames, it's crazy. The frame is stiffer and has far better geometry. It's much less punishing on the lower back as well, they engineered some flexibility into the seat stays and after the first ride I could feel the difference between the 2015 and 2019 frames. My second ride on the 2019 frame was actually a 19 mile sprint race and I took 2nd place... amazing.

The challenge I've faced is that the frame is fragile. I have only purchased one Alma, but have had to get warranty replacements for the first two as they both developed cracks in the seatstays. Fortunately the wonderful service and warranty took care of me quickly and easily both times.

I've ridden/raced the Alma all over TX and Colorado and it's been great. It's handled everything from 60 mile marathon races at chunky trails to short hour long sprint races and never missed a beat. I would highly recommend an Alma to anyone looking for a 'comfy' and race focused hardtail.

RHR.jpg

IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_7266.jpg

21 - 30 of 30 Posts