Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an Orbea Alma and am wondering if anyone has any experience with riding one. I'm looking at either the carbon M50 or the aluminum H20. They both come with solid specs and look like fast rides. I mainly ride fast xc, lots of climbing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one from 2015 or so. Pretty happy with it.. I mean it's a well build XC Hardtail with good geometry. To be honest it's hard to mess up a XC HT these days :).
Which model do you have? Do you have the Reba suspension? Did you have to upgrade it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a nice ride for sure. What's the weight? That is definitely different than the 2018 Aluminum Alma that I'm looking at. The geometry then was much different...steeper HTA which actually isn't bad, especially for climbing, which I do a lot of here in the Andes.

Seems like Orbea Hardtails are not really that popular in the states, but way more popular in Europe and S. America.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an M50 and have only been riding it a few months, but love it for the type of riding I do (XC, I enjoy climbing). Changes so far are a carbon bar, shorter stem, and an Ardent on the front. The only other thing I've thought about upgrading is the wheelset. It works but is not the lightest.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an M50 and have only been riding it a few months, but love it for the type of riding I do (XC, I enjoy climbing). Changes so far are a carbon bar, shorter stem, and an Ardent on the front. The only other thing I've thought about upgrading is the wheelset. It works but is not the lightest.
Yeah, I like the idea of the carbon M50 if I can squeeze it. I am surprised that for a carbon frame that it is not much lighter. I think the aluminum frame is about 27lbs and the carbon M50 is about 25lbs. So, I would probably try to upgrade the wheel set as well. That would definitely get it down in weight. Do you have issues with the Reba fork?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I like the idea of the carbon M50 if I can squeeze it. I am surprised that for a carbon frame that it is not much lighter. I think the aluminum frame is about 27lbs and the carbon M50 is about 25lbs. So, I would probably try to upgrade the wheel set as well. That would definitely get it down in weight. Do you have issues with the Reba fork?
Reba has been great, but I’ve also been riding a rigid singlespeed for the last 5 years. It might just been in my head, but the carbon frame feels like it has some vertical compliance to take the edge off as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I think I have narrowed some things down. Jenson is offering a sweet deal on the aluminum H10 which has a nice spec of GX Eagle. They also have the H20 a hundred bucks cheaper which is spec'd with XT and SLX with a nice 1X 11-46 on a Sunrace cassette. Either one of these would be sweet rides in my opinion. There is also a 2017 M50 on eBay now being sold from the Pro's Closet. It does look like it has some wear, but nothing major. So, I'm trying to decide between brand new aluminum frame with great specs that weighs about 27lbs, or a used 2017 carbon frame that weighs 25 lbs. I think I am leaning towards the aluminum, and my first upgrade could be a new wheel set that will get the weight down some. Unless of course I can find an M50 size XL new for under $1500, but so far that has not been the case.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Alma-29-H10-18-Bike-2018

https://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Alma-29-H20-18-Bike-2018

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Orbea...9-Carbon-Shimano-SLX-XT-RockShox/382801334524

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the 2018 Orbea Alma H20. I was going to get the H10 but someone grabbed the last one, so I went with the H20. I just don’t have enough cash for carbon right now. Anyway, I’m super pumped. Now I just have to wait 2 months until I’m back in the states to pick it up. I snagged a ridiculous awesome deal. Big time sale originally $1800 marked down to $1200. Then since Jenson messed up the order and it took a while on the phone to resolve it, they took an additional $120 off the price. $1150 delivered to my door. Can’t beat that. The only upgrade that I will do immediately is get the Reba upgraded to the RCT 3 compression damper so that the fork is buttery smooth. Then I’ll upgrade the wheels around Christmas when I can get some more cash together. There is only 1 left on Jenson. Who wants it?

https://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Alma-29-H20-18-Bike-2018

·
Registered
884 Posts
I went for the Rainier. Let's see how it holds up.

Kinda wish there was a 150mm option for the 27.2 droppers. but 110mm is enough for a hardtail.

I put a 50mm stem on my XL Alma. I'm 6'4 and even though it's made the cockpit smaller..I really like how the bike handles now. I think I'll keep it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Be aware of that the alu alma version has the 141mm qr rear which are boost qr. That means that there are no factory replacement/upgrade wheels out there. So the best is the carbon version which has normal boost wheels.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts