Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about heading down to Allegrippis in a few weekends to hopefully find some dry, fast trails. Does anyone know if the area is rideable yet? Any tips on places to stay and other things to do in the area? Coming down with a few from Upstate NY as everything is pretty muddy up here.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Rode Fat Bikes last weekend. Trails were really good. We removed a few tree branches on the trail, but the loop we did was pretty good. The only tracks we seen were from skinneir mountain bike tires and that was only here and there.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Without camping or renting a house, the closest "hotel" I think is Huntington Motor Inn. Nothing spectacular but it is a place to stay.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Rothrock Outfitters, they have Rooms upstairs, we stayed there for Frozen Fat. The Train is Fast Moving....but I drew the short straw and slept on the couch. The other guys didn't hear it at all.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Locally, we've got the typical spring rains lately, but also have had a few warm (high 50s, low 60s) sunny breezy days which will help dry the trails out. I stayed away from Allegrippis this weekend, but plan on hitting it next weekend unless we get showers later in the week. I'm thinking trails will be good to go starting next weekend, although they might be a bit leafy yet until the traffic picks up and grinds them up. A lot of the trails have a stony soil so it dries out pretty quick, and with no leaves on the trees it helps.

Raystown lake is a very popular vacation destination so a lot of private and public campgrounds are in the area. Sounds like you are coming a bit early in the season, so some may not be open yet depending on your actually trip dates. (2) campgrounds are right on the Army Corp. of Eng. grounds that house the trails. Susquehannock is basic camping/no running water sites. Seven points is much larger and has power, showers, etc. Both are on ReserveAmerica. A few hotels exist in nearby Huntingdon as well - about a 15 minute drive from the trailhead.

If you're looking for other activities - rent a canoe or kayak and spend some time on the water at Raystown Lake. If you are looking for more riding opportunities, Rothrock State Forest is nearby - lots of riding options, but nothing like Allegrippis. Rothrock is more traditional PA singletrack - rocky, technical, ridges, etc, riding - probably more what you're used to up in NY.

·
VMB
89 Posts
We've stayed at The Woodland Camping Resort quite a few times. They have a couple of cottages and the trail is right across the road from the campground entrance. The cottages are pretty nice with lots of bunks and a full kitchen. Lee is the owner, cool guy and real laid back. WOODLAND CAMPING RESORT

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, very helpful! We will most likely be camping so the seven points campground was on the radar. A couple of us will be heading down Easter weekend so if anyone wants to ride drop me a line on here. I just bought a new Devinci Troy and my other buddy rides a Devinci Dixon, so we're excited to put quality miles on the new rigs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I live about 20 minutes from the trails so you guys can all just crash on my couch. I'm kidding of course. My wife would kill me.

The trails are about 95% dry as of this morning and we have a major trail work session going on this weekend so it will full speed ahead from here on out.

Hope you enjoy "Grips" as much as we do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds good. I am planning my first trip out there in a couple weeks if the weather is good. I'll probably camp out so I'll try the place above.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Allegrippis is riding dry and fast. Did a monster ride out there yesterday. Trails are in great condition due to no tree canopy overhead yet (drying out quick after rains), and some TLC from recent trailwork. Loving the new berms on Osprey. Not sure I'll ever have a big enough pair to hit that new double though. Bit leafy in some spots yet so check your speed on the descents.

Hit the south trails now before the undergrowth jungle eats into the trail corridor. Big tree down on Dark Hollow that requires dismounting. Looks like its a work in progress for removal. You'll see it on the way in on the climb, just remember is there on the way out on the descent - would be a bad way to end a ride.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Huntington motor inn is pretty inexpensive but still pretty nice. Talk to the guys at rothrock outfitters, they have a Facebook page. Best trails ever. I go 4-5 times a year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for the reports and advice. We are waiting for warmer weather at this point unfortunately. Our trip was supposed to be last weekend but night Temps of 35 aren't ideal for camping. Haven't heard anything but great things about the trails, so we are excited to get down this summer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anyone have a review of Dirtfest. I was thinking of going but would probably be solo unless I brought the baggage. Is it a bad time for a first ride at Alligrippis?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Anyone have a review of Dirtfest. I was thinking of going but would probably be solo unless I brought the baggage. Is it a bad time for a first ride at Alligrippis?
I'd say it is a GREAT time for a first ride. Most of the high-traffic trails will be one-way traffic only, lots of like-minded folk to hang out with, even if you're solo. It's a good way to learn the trails and hang out. Plus if you have any issues, mechanical or otherwise, there's lots of support to lend a hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts