Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first Brooks for my Fixie, and not even having broken it in I am in love. I am considering a sprung model, specifically either the Flyer or Conquest, for my SS mtb. Any opinions on using a sprung saddle on a rigid bike, or on a MTB in general?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I rode a Flyer on my Karate Monkey. Nice saddle, but heavy. It was very comfortable riding off-road -- noticable flex in the springs, but not too springy. The springs were creaky at times. I did some good rides on it (Downieville, Bootleg Canyon, Sun Valley, HITG & Mr. Toads in Tahoe) and never felt that there was any real downside other than the weight. No problems getting behind it for steep downhills etc.

ON and SS, I do most of my climbing out of the saddle, and on a hard-tail I hover for most of the downhill, so I will probably go with something lighter in the future. For fixed I ride on the saddle a lot more, so that's where the Flyer will likely end up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If they weren't leather, I'd be riding one now. I rode on one before going vegetarian (gone vegan since) and they are very comfortable.

No, not trying to start a debate. Just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i love my brooks flyer.i had it on the fixed monkey for a long time and now its on me
moto monkey,4 inch fork SS with the flyer saddle .ya its heavy but so comfy almost
like a softtail or suspension post,:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call guys. Looks like a Flyer may be in my future. Brooks recommends the Conquest, shorter and narrower, but I will have to compare the specs on that.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Another reservation some folks have is water exposure. I proofide mine every so often and generally avoid riding in the rain (trail damage in my area). However, I have been caught in showers while riding, and I crashed in a stream once, totally submerging the saddle in icy snow-melt, and had to ride for at least another hour on it. No real damage or excessive stretching of the leather.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
IAmCosmo said:
If they weren't leather, I'd be riding one now. I rode on one before going vegetarian (gone vegan since) and they are very comfortable.

No, not trying to start a debate. Just my personal opinion.
So what did you do with the saddle?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did consider the water issue, but I don't ride in the rain at all. I usually ride with a seat bag that would protect from anything thrown up by the tires or what not.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
word!

ionsmuse said:
What do you do with a pair of good leather hiking boots after hiking in the rain? Dry 'em.
I am with you there. I don't worry about water too much. I don't plan on any saddle lasting forever. I figure the water damages the leather to some degree, but I will likely break a saddle rail long before the leather is totalled.

May be I would be more anal if I spent big coin on Ti rails or something...I just figure that my Brooks costs about the same as most other "good" saddles I have owned, and I certainly did not expect them to last more than a few years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
fixgeardan said:
i love my brooks flyer.i had it on the fixed monkey for a long time and now its on me
moto monkey,4 inch fork SS with the flyer saddle .ya its heavy but so comfy almost
like a softtail or suspension post,:thumbsup:
Didn't you find bouncing a problem at higher cadences?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't answer that question yet, but Brooks claims the springs are stiff enough that you won't feel them at all until a big bump. I would bet that rider weight has a lot to do with that, and tire size, and any other suspension.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
velofix said:
Didn't you find bouncing a problem at higher cadences?
no it didnt bounce really,it more like floats,you get a floating sensation,and when you
hit a big bump you notice the springs when coming down.its very cool if you can just
get over the weight!i have but it still haunts the weight weanie in me.my monkey weighs
30lbs.but its smooth.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I tried it (Brooks Flyer) for a while but did not notice a huge plushness advantage over other non-sprung Brooks saddle...I also ride Brooks Narrow B-17. I ended up selling because it weighed almost twice as much as my B-17 Narrow (900g vs 550g) and it did not feel all that plush. I contribute most of the reason to spring being way over sprung for my body weight of 155lbs. If I weighed over 180+lbs, I may have felt that steel spring plushness. It was also somewhat cumbersome to dismount off the saddle on the steep techy section since it was very wide. On the other hand, I dig the B17 Narrow.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Picture please?

fixgeardan said:
no it didnt bounce really,it more like floats,you get a floating sensation,and when you
hit a big bump you notice the springs when coming down.its very cool if you can just
get over the weight!i have but it still haunts the weight weanie in me.my monkey weighs
30lbs.but its smooth.
I too ride a Monkey...My Brooks is un-sprung though. I stopped caring about weight a long time ago (but I still know what you mean). I would love to see a picture of your set up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.