Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intrigued by an ad/review in some mag, can't remember where: the cog is bolted to the rotor mount and you flip your wheel around. Front brake only of course. While I've never done a fixed gear roadie or otherwise I was wondering your thoughts on this. Pedal strikes would be horrendous I'd imagine, and you couldn't go very fast down, but it'd be fun for the engagement right? Or more frustrating than enjoyable?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haven't witnessed it firsthand, but if you or anyone else does - please get video of the crashes. I'm not sure what the crashes will look like, but they sound like they'd be awesome - especially if the rider unclips and throws both legs out wide on a downhill to just let the pedals spin out before disaster strikes.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of what I was thinking. Still may give it a try though...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree, fixed mtb is not as difficult or insane as most think. It's a whole different style of riding, but yes, you can still go real fast, yes, you can still ride techy singletrack, no, you don't go crazy out of control fast on descents.

My fixed mtb is a 26" bike, but I may throw a Tomicog on my Monkey one of these days and go 29er fixed.

Here's the bike:

Here are some pictures of my favorite trails, FOMBA in NH, that are a blast to ride fixed:

My fixed cx not-quite-a-29er bike:

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
I don't know why you would want to bolt a cog to the rotor mount as it's just a easy to build up a fixie hub for a mtb. One of the guys in Austin rides a 29er fixie, old link here...

http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18584

Ridden with him a couple of times and seems he can clear almost everything out on the trail.

·
Registered
314 Posts
marzjennings said:
I don't know why you would want to bolt a cog to the rotor mount as it's just a easy to build up a fixie hub for a mtb. One of the guys in Austin rides a 29er fixie, old link here...

Ridden with him a couple of times and seems he can clear almost everything out on the trail.

Well, I already have the disc/ss wheel. That's a pretty good reason to bolt a 30 dollar cog on and be done with it. I don't run a rear brake on my fixed mtb, so it's not like I'll need the disc brake.

·
old part timer
137 Posts
It has allowed me to have some fun on rides that had become pretty boring and forgettable due to sheer repetition. It gives me a new way to train as well. It is an easy switch if you already have a single speed and can live without a rear brake for a ride or two.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
FKMTB07 said:
Well, I already have the disc/ss wheel. That's a pretty good reason to bolt a 30 dollar cog on and be done with it. I don't run a rear brake on my fixed mtb, so it's not like I'll need the disc brake.
Good point, but I think I'd like to still have a rear brake even if I went fixie just to make controlling the rear wheel a bit easier.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,613 Posts
Rode fixed off road for a good 5 years, about a year back on a freewheel. Fixed is fun, and there's definitely a rush to cleaning really rocky, technical stuff without coasting. What I've found, though, is that coasting can be a lot of fun too.
I'd been told that riding behind me at Big Laguna was like watching someone pull out of a spectacular crash, for 2 hours. Riding a freewheel again makes a lot of the stuff I ride less dangerous, or at least seem that way.
FWIW, I was using 32x16 both in SoCal and here in Texass after we moved.

Los

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've been riding fixie for the past two winters, but not the rest of the year. It adds a little spice to winter riding, especially on long boring snowmobile trails. I still have trouble crossing some rock piles and bigger logs, I haven't perfected the technique of spinning my rear tire yet to "clock" my pedals. Pedal strikes are common, so if you have a purdy set of cranks you polish every night, swap 'em. Crossing skinny bridges is a challenge also because you can't coast and focus solely on your balance. The real reason I started was you still have a chain to stop you if your brakes fail from ice. All that said, I may go back to coasting next winter. My $.02 fwiw.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Fomba,

FKMTB07 said:
I agree, fixed mtb is not as difficult or insane as most think. It's a whole different style of riding, but yes, you can still go real fast, yes, you can still ride techy singletrack, no, you don't go crazy out of control fast on descents.

My fixed mtb is a 26" bike, but I may throw a Tomicog on my Monkey one of these days and go 29er fixed.

Here's the bike:

Here are some pictures of my favorite trails, FOMBA in NH, that are a blast to ride fixed:

Hey my son rode down that steep roller on his 16in when he was 5yr.(he will be 7 in April).. I know grown men that won't ride down that.....:thumbsup: FOMBA is a fun place to ride........CF.

·
MoJo Moto
254 Posts
marzjennings said:

Yep...that's my buddy Todd....AKA Fixey Todd...

I was with him on his first ride....with NO brakes!!!

He rides eveything, the dude is way bad. It's tuff to keep up with him on his On-One Inbred 29er.

Gets lots of looks for sure.

I'll tell him about this thread.

tootles...

moto.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I love riding fixie 29er off road.

Been doing it for over a year, logged about 600 miles off road doing it.

Its the best, it takes riding and makes it artistic.

Nothing climbs like a fixie. nothing accelerates like a fixie.

in 600 miles I had one pedal strike and I use 175mm cranks.

Its all about rhythm.

I stared with a tommicog, then built up a eno hub.

I love it, adore fixie riding its the best, IMO, and YMMV.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
marzjennings said:
Good point, but I think I'd like to still have a rear brake even if I went fixie just to make controlling the rear wheel a bit easier.
you'd be surprised what you can do with just your legs. Something like 80% of braking power normally comes from the front anyway, so you really don't lose much at all.

A bolt-on cog is a really good way to try it out and decide if you like fixed off-road, even if you do want more control down the road. The difference between fixie with and without a rear brake would be nothing compared to the difference between fixed and freewheel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes -
I enjoy riding fixed off-road.....more so than on-road.
I mount a drilled cog to the disc mount. Takes a tungsten carbide bit with cutting oil.....or just buy a Tommie cog. Pedal strikes happen, but after a while you know when where and how much! I've been riding fixed off-road for a couple years - gotten many miles under belt.....cause that's the only bike I ride :)

Like Motopail said - I first rode brakeless, don't try - you gain nothing.....and could loose everything :madman:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I've always been curious about trying this out. The Tomicog is the cheapest way to figure out if you like it or not. One of these days I'll have to try it. Trails around here seem pretty fixed gear friendly.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts