Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone bike in the snow? I have a few friends who bought fat bikes and do it, but I've seen some people do it on regular bikes.

Just curious on what tires to get? I wan't more of an "BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A" type tire (you know, a really good all-rounder so I don't have to change them again next spring/summer).

I'm looking into these Continental Trail Kings:

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-...023686&sr=8-3&keywords=continental+trail+king

Thinking about going wide in the front (2.4 in) and 2.2 in the rear.

We don't get much ice here.

What do you think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone bike in the snow? I have a few friends who bought fat bikes and do it, but I've seen some people do it on regular bikes.

Just curious on what tires to get? I wan't more of an "BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A" type tire (you know, a really good all-rounder so I don't have to change them again next spring/summer).

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-...023686&sr=8-3&keywords=continental+trail+king

What do you think?
Trail king 2.2s are what I'm running front and back. I run them year around. I was playing in the snow just this week and they seemed to do alright.

But I don't have any tires to compare them against. Other than my wife's bike that has specialized fast tracks on it and they are horrible in the snow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trail king 2.2s are what I'm running front and back. I run them year around. I was playing in the snow just this week and they seemed to do alright.

But I don't have any tires to compare them against. Other than my wife's bike that has specialized fast tracks on it and they are horrible in the snow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Perfect, thank you for the response! Anyone else?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
It depends on how much and what type of snow it is. 1-2" isn't usually problem. If it's powder, 3" sounds do-able but much deeper and it gets tougher to pedal and keep traction. Give it a whirl with whatever tires you have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Give it a whirl with whatever tires you have.
I have before and they are really bad, Bontrager Connection Trail B's.

What else would be a decent non-studded tire?

I found Maxxis ADvantage's for a decent price in 2.25 in.

·
Hooligan
993 Posts
the biggest, most aggressive tires you can get your hands on. before I could afford a fat bike, I ran 2.5" wet screams. On a normal bike the name of the game is to just claw through as best you can.

·
Registered
155 Posts

What do you think?
I have ridden in the snow many times I ride tubeless continental race king 2.0 without issue.

Sent from mTalk

·
Give'er!
544 Posts
I recently upgraded to a fat bike (made a bigger difference than I thought it would), but up until last week I was using a 26er with homemade studded tires. They're just a cheap set of 2.1's, but I'd imagine having tires with larger spaced out knobs would make things easier. On any form of heavily treaded snow or frozen hardpack they work awesome. When the snow has a softer surface layer, uphill at least it could be character building but still doable. Ice is a non-issue if you "stud" them. :)

15589592_2035642336662567_649374522022478610_n.jpg

·
Registered
184 Posts
I run a DHRII up front and DHF in the back, as big as I can fit. The DHF isn't great for grip but the DHR works well. A mud tire will probably shed snow better than either, though. If there's a layer of hard snow on top, I pretty much end up walking. The soft floaty stuff is fine, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts