Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi -

I had/rode a '03 Jekyll 500 for about 18 months. It was a big improvement over my 1st mountain bike, lighter, disc brakes...but then on a whim I bought a Giant NRS last October and have only been on the Jekyll 1x since then...

I never really used the lockout so I can't comment on that.

After getting the NRS I was able to compare the peddle bob, climbing, skidishness, etc of the two bikes. You definately loose a little of the peddling efficiency with the Jekyll. How significant this will be for you will largely depend on your weight and the amout of pressure you charge the suspension with. My SO also had a Jekyll, he weighs more than me, and had a big problem with the bob. He also needed to rebuild the rear suspension 2x in the 2 years that he rode it, mine was rebuilt 1x. I still have the Jekyll and tried riding it a few weeks ago - compared to the more rigid suspension of the NRS, I felt like I was floating down the trails - didn't like it, so I gave it to the SO's nephew - he likes it.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
My wife has an 05 Jekyll Fem. She likes it well enough - it fits her well. The biggest problem with the bike is its heavy. Her Petite size is just about 33 lbs. which is a lot of weight for a 110 lb rider. I have friends with Jekylls with higher end components and some of the bikes are very light - they all like them.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Is this it?

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/02/cusa/model-2VN7W.html

Not a bad spec of parts (it looks like there is a lockout on the rear shock), but as you suspected, the biggest problem with the Jekyll before 2004 is that they do not have a platform rear shock. My Daughter has a 2003 Jekyll 500 which even bobs a bit with her on it. It does have a lockout, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having FS. The platforrm shocks that came on all but the lowest end Jekylls in 2004 mostly solved that, and along with the 135mm travel that came along in 2004, they ride much better.

The Headshock is more of a racing fork. It is VERY precise steering, but plush is not among it's attributes.

If you like the Jekylls (and I think they are a nice rig), try to find something like a 2004 Jekyll 600 Fem. Nice bike for the money.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4VN6W.html

Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.