Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I need to ride more.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've hiked this trail, someone told me it's the Corral trail, not sure if that's the correct name or not..someone said it might be Burro Trail, but I've also heard the Ames trail called that.

Just wondering if anyone's ever tried riding this. It looks higher and longer than Corona Loma. I'm sure most would do this as a downhill from National, like Corona Loma.

It hits National about a 1/2 mile East of Buena Vista parking lot.

Attachments

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Yes. We call it "Old Man" or "Viejo". It heads south up the hill from the saddle at National about 1/2 mile east of Buena Vista. It is a nice technical descent. Far more challenging than Corona Loma. It comes out on secret trail.

·
I need to ride more.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dobbs said:
How did you get those trails on your Google Earth map? Did you draw them in, or is there some feature or database I don't know about?
It's a feature on Google Earth Plus which costs $20/year. About 90% of the tracks were uploaded from my GPS, and then I cleaned them up by hand. The other 10% were added manually by hand. I actually have a ton of placenames (markers), but I turned them off to keep the image a little cleaner.

Richard

·
I need to ride more.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tiSS'er said:
Yes. We call it "Old Man" or "Viejo". It heads south up the hill from the saddle at National about 1/2 mile east of Buena Vista. It is a nice technical descent. Far more challenging than Corona Loma. It comes out on secret trail.
I think I'll try Corona Loma first then. Those are two names I haven't heard before, I'm beginning to think I should upload all my maps and have a survey on what people call each trail.

Richard

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
FastrThnU said:
I think I'll try Corona Loma first then. Those are two names I haven't heard before, I'm beginning to think I should upload all my maps and have a survey on what people call each trail.

Richard
See my ride report from a few days ago - we rode it on Monday for the first time.

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
waltaz said:
See my ride report from a few days ago - we rode it on Monday for the first time.
No, you rode Corona Loma, not the Corral Trail (Old Man or Viejo) that he's referring to. tiSS'er hit the nail on the head, it's a good technical descent.

·
Registered
339 Posts
DethRider said:
what is that next trail behind Corral called I hiked up it once. But It didn't look ridable
Next to it as in "on the South side of the Park" or behind it as in "on the North side of the Park?"

If former, then Corona Loma. Else If latter, then Geronimo or Sex Offender. Else, I don't know what you're talking about.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
AZ Mikey said:
No, you rode Corona Loma, not the Corral Trail (Old Man or Viejo) that he's referring to. tiSS'er hit the nail on the head, it's a good technical descent.
I know, that's what I was referring to, because Richard said he was going to hit CL first...;)

·
I need to ride more.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ames Trail

DethRider said:
what is that next trail behind Corral called I hiked up it once. But It didn't look ridable
I met a 70 year old guy hiking that trail once and he said it was called the Ames Trail, and was made for the original owner of the first ranch in Ahwatukee before he started hiking it as a boy scout.

The "wiki" on Ahwatukee does say:

The Legend goes that in 1921, Dr. and Mrs. W.V.B. Ames built a house on approximately 2,000 acres (8.1 km²) on the southeast side of the South Mountains

So I guess it could be true. The old guy said Dr. Ames wife wanted a quicker way to get up to Fat Man's pass, so she had the trail built.

I hike it frequently, but I don't think most people know it continues down to Hidden Valley between Fat Man's Pass and the Natural Tunnel. I'm just saying that because the trail is very well used up to the top, and then almost disappears on the descent down to hidden valley.

I have never seen a bike on that trail, not sure how ridable it is. It may be ridable to some people, but I'm not about to try it.

Richard

·
Registered
339 Posts
DethRider said:
on the south side it was east of the water tank
East of the water tank is a short up (rideable) called Beverly Canyon. It crosses the fire-road and follows the power lines down to the 46th street lot. That's the only marked trail between 48th street and the water tank heading up the hill.

·
I need to ride more.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya_Hozna said:
East of the water tank is a short up (rideable) called Beverly Canyon. It crosses the fire-road and follows the power lines down to the 46th street lot. That's the only marked trail between 48th street and the water tank heading up the hill.
Actually Ames is between Beverly and the Corral-Viejo-Old Man trail. It's probably used more then Corral or Corona Loma on the south side. I usually pass a dozen people on a Saturday morning hike. Note quite as popular as Telegraph Pass, but definitely more people than Corona Loma. Again, I've never seen a bike on it though.

Richard

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Wow...I think it's interesting that we're talking about these relatively obscure trails all of a sudden. With all the attention and riding that SoMo gets, by alot of very skilled and hard core riders, it's curious to me that these trails aren't ridden more often, it at all. Specifically, Corona Loma and Corral, since Ames seems sketchy.

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
waltaz said:
Wow...I think it's interesting that we're talking about these relatively obscure trails all of a sudden. With all the attention and riding that SoMo gets, by alot of very skilled and hard core riders, it's curious to me that these trails aren't ridden more often, it at all. Specifically, Corona Loma and Corral, since Ames seems sketchy.
I liked Viejo (Old Man or Corral) when I rode it, but I'm not a big fan of riding Desert Classic back after the ride (this would apply to Corona Loma and Telegraph also). There's something about riding DC after having so much fun on the interesting trails that really turns me off.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
AZ Mikey said:
I liked Viejo (Old Man or Corral) when I rode it, but I'm not a big fan of riding Desert Classic back after the ride (this would apply to Corona Loma and Telegraph also). There's something about riding DC after having so much fun on the interesting trails that really turns me off.
Go in at Warpaint, a couple miles west of the water tank. So when you come down CL or Corral, you're done in 5-10 minutes. That's what Crash and I did on Monday. We used DC eastbound as a warm-up on our way to going up and over Beverly.

·
ride.
122 Posts
some also call it Kemosabe ...i was riding this on a regular basis last year until i just got too much flack from some hikers..they have been trying to close it to bikers for years now. have found hundreds of roofing nails at the upper start and once even came down to find big boulders levered into the trail at the bottome of the drops(..this bit of "trail maintenece" sent me to the ER with some broken ribs)
with some work it can be a really fun trail, by far the most difficult on SoMo in my opinion (take that for what it's worth)
I'll ride it with you any time man

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.