Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Hunting Ground" is this chunk of BLM land south of Whitewater and West of US 50, between US 50 and the Gunnison River. The BLM land starts just south of where Kannah Creek goes under US 50. According to the map I just got from the BLM, there appears to be several trails in the area, and at least one loop. All this is North of the access road to Bridgeport/Dominguez Canyon.

The reason I ask is that we will be moving down to that area at the end of April and (of course) I would like to ride some of the trails down there, IF they are rideable, meaning that thay would actually be worth the effort to ride to the trailhead(s) from the house. I have gotten totally spoiled by living in the Ridges area of the Redlands, where trail access and the trails, including the LLs are great!

I suppose I will eventually try Kannah Creek, but that might mean a shuttle to the top of Grand Mesa. It also sounds pretty difficult.

·
Registered
93 Posts
RickC5 said:
"The Hunting Ground" is this chunk of BLM land south of Whitewater and West of US 50, between US 50 and the Gunnison River. The BLM land starts just south of where Kannah Creek goes under US 50. According to the map I just got from the BLM, there appears to be several trails in the area, and at least one loop. All this is North of the access road to Bridgeport/Dominguez Canyon.

The reason I ask is that we will be moving down to that area at the end of April and (of course) I would like to ride some of the trails down there, IF they are rideable, meaning that thay would actually be worth the effort to ride to the trailhead(s) from the house. I have gotten totally spoiled by living in the Ridges area of the Redlands, where trail access and the trails, including the LLs are great!
I've driven around there several times and have only seen jeep trails; no singletrack-type trails that are comparable to LL or Loma. The landscape, which looks uninspiring from US 50, is actually quite interesting as you get closer to the river. There are rocky patches and small canyons similar to those at the LLs. The potential is there, no doubt, but, without looking too hard for it, I have not seen anything that looks like singletrack. Also there are the usual "party spot" signs here and there - patches of broken glass, spent shell casings, etc,...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have lived out that way for about 8 yrs. It is my primary riding area. As the other post states, all jeep roads, but fun, and good for a workout. Not technical. The closer you get to the river the more interesting the terrain gets, and great views of the river along the rim. I access the area via Bean Ranch Road, and have a couple of 1..2 hr loops I do routinely (starting from my house). I'm sure longer rides are possible, that is just my normal avail window.

I'm out of commission until June due to injury, but give me a shout early in the summer and I would be happy to show you around.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sgwhitewater said:
I'm out of commission until June due to injury, but give me a shout early in the summer and I would be happy to show you around.
SG, I gladly accept your offer! Our new house is just North of Kannah Creek, in the Pronghorn development & not far from Bean Ranch Rd. We're still scheduled to move at the end of April.

I'll send you a PM in June. Thanks again for the offer.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.