Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been out on Stiles Ranch trail in Santa Teresa in the last few weeks? I heard that they were planning "trail maintenence". I'm worried it will be the same as the"maintenence" they recently did on the Fortini trail. Those people won't rest until every inch of that park is wheelchair accessable. :madman:

·
Crazy Dutch Bastard
87 Posts
I rode it last Tuesday and it was alright. They sanitized it a couple of yrs. ago with the effect you can image, but it's slowly eroded back to its rocky self over time. I don't think it is quite as challenging as it once was, but it's fun nonetheless. BTW, I ride it mostly in the up direction (after going up coyote peak and down rocky ridge)

-DanT

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Mike E said:
Has anyone been out on Stiles Ranch trail in Santa Teresa in the last few weeks? I heard that they were planning "trail maintenence". I'm worried it will be the same as the"maintenence" they recently did on the Fortini trail. Those people won't rest until every inch of that park is wheelchair accessable. :madman:
I rode Stile Ranch on Tuesday, three days ago. It was still nasty old Stile Ranch. They sanitized it a year or two ago, but it's eroded pretty quick and back to being fun. I didn't see any sign of new trail work in that area in the last few months, other than the new entrance at Vincent about 6 months ago, and a few months ago the Bernal Rd. side of Stile Ranch by IBM and the little bridge got dozed up to the first switch back. The trail was boring in that part anyway, and still is.

On the other hand the Vincent/Fortini singletrack is now a 1.5 track as it was dozed (Sweeco???) flat. However, I can't get too upset about that as the singletrack was very badly eroded and it really needed major repair. And the steep hills on that section will erode it back to singletrack fairly quickly. Already rocks are starting to push out like a kid's new tooth.

Nevertheless, I'm thinking of suggesting the Governor can cut costs on well-meaning park trail maintenance.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good news. Along with the climb out of Mockingbird in Quicksilver, riding up Stiles is one of my favorite afterwork "workout" rides. I'd hate to see it flattened.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The last 2 or 3 switchbacks closest to McKean are pretty lame now. Just flat without rocks. Other than that, its still pretty darn rocky. The set rocky switchbacks closest to the IBM building are the same as they have been for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.