Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about building up an urban/dirt jumper, and Jenson has the Steelhead frames for cheap, but I can't find any reviews on them.

Anyone have any experience with these frames?

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
trailrash said:
I'm thinking about building up an urban/dirt jumper, and Jenson has the Steelhead frames for cheap, but I can't find any reviews on them.

I like mine quite a bit. I rode both a Planet X Pitbull and a P2 (as far as park / DJ hardtails go) before this bike, and I like the Steelhead considerably more. I have the XL, which is longer in the top tube, making the bike more more trailworthy than the two mentioned above. I've got mine built up SS and fairly neutral so that I can take it in the skatepark, jumping, or on trails.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Love mine!

I have been riding an XL as my skatepark, DJ, and street rig for the past 8 months or so and love it. This is my first non-XC bike and I dont have much to compare it to aside from a quick spin on some friends bikes (STP, P1, etc.) but I prefered my ride to theirs on the jumps and trails. The XL is a bit long in the top tube for really serious skatepark riding but not un-manageable. The geo is good with the 130mm fork i am running, manuals easliy and is very predictable and stable in the air. Its also rock solid and I am a big boy at 6'4" & 200# . Set up as a single speed with BMX cranks and a burly set of wheels its pretty much indestructable.

I would highly recommend it as an inexpensive way to get started. FYI - I also think Beyond Bikes has them on sale now for around $150, not sure if thats less than jenson. . .

·
Registered
593 Posts
j77 said:
everything you need and nothing you dont. thats perfection :cool:
Thanks man I love this bike. I built it one handed while I was healing from a broken ar/wrist. I ride it at a local skate park, DJ spots, trails and to get back and forth from the local bars. I live in a city and it is so much fun to ride. Plus when I was out of commission for 6 weeks that I put it together I had to not rush anything. It took me a week to put it together. Normally I can't wait for anything so I wind up building bikes and not getting the spec right because I fall victim to instant gratification. I had no choice this time and I love it sooo much more.

·
Registered
401 Posts
awesome build-

j77 said:
everything you need and nothing you dont. thats perfection :cool:
that's a nice avatar you got there j77 -is that a sleestack? Axis - how much does that weigh? I want to build one for the local jumps or to take down the bikepath without drawing too much attn...

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Fun bike

trailrash said:

I'm riding mine now for everything, and running a 130mm fork, the geo works great for park/ jumps/ trailriding. It is awesome to go straight from the sk8pk to the trail w/o having to change anything.
Almost making me wonder why I thought I needed a dually for Denver area riding. Oh yeah, lifts, drops and stunts, now I remember... :)

·
Renegade of Krunk
604 Posts
I've got atleast 4 friends that all ride Steelheads, they are probablly the best frame for the money right now, hardtail wise. I've been on 2 different steelheads and they are great bikes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Does the Azonic feel any different than a comperable Aluminum frame? My current aluminum frame is nearly the same geometry as the Steelhead. Does the steelhead ride smoother? Is it good for both DualSlalom and Freeride?

What size of tire can it hold?

How do you adjust the chain stay length without messing up the disk brake mount alignment?

What size of a fork is it designed around? How big can it go fork wise? Super-T capable or what? Can it take NorthShore riding with up to 8-10 foot drops? I can't imagine a 7 pound frame would break under those conditions right?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Axis said:
I have one with a 100mm DC Jr T and 24" wheels. I love it. Get one now!!
out of curiosity, why the dual crown fork? I'm pretty sure the stiffness and strength of one of the newer 32MM stanchion forks would compare to the Jr. T, plus you could do x-ups and what not. Either way, seems like an odd combination to have a 24" SS urban bike with a dual crown.

·
Registered
593 Posts
MD Bullit said:
out of curiosity, why the dual crown fork? I'm pretty sure the stiffness and strength of one of the newer 32MM stanchion forks would compare to the Jr. T, plus you could do x-ups and what not. Either way, seems like an odd combination to have a 24" SS urban bike with a dual crown.
I had that fork just laying around for a long time. Then
i had the idea of shortening the travel and walla it is on the steelhead! Works great too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.