Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of upgrading my stock Bianchi rigid fork to something a bit... "plusher" Possibly a Spicer Ti or maybe a Winwood Purist??? Anyone ridden a carbon fork? Anyone ridden both Ti and carbon??? -Bob

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
XCBob said:
I was thinking of upgrading my stock Bianchi rigid fork to something a bit... "plusher" Possibly a Spicer Ti or maybe a Winwood Purist??? Anyone ridden a carbon fork? Anyone ridden both Ti and carbon??? -Bob
pace rc31. about 700g uncut, in a 440mm length. disc only, unless you by the canti clamps.

rides like a dream!!! i have ridin' the pace, vicious, kelly, on-one ti, spicer ti and walt forks rigid forks. the pace is my fav, with the walt works fork coming in second.

i might be ordering one soon, for another possible 29er ss project.

cheers!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That takes the Purist out of the running

shiggy said:
I saw the Purist at Sea Otter. Looks good except clearance is just 59 mm between the blades. Many 2.3" + and some 2.1-2.2 " tires will not fit.
Thanks Shiggy. That takes the Purist out of the running. -Bob

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
I ride a pace. I love it. I came off a 80mm fox vanilla and while it's not as plush I actually prefer it for its directness, uber quick stering and the fact it's 1.3kg lighter. It has a noticable fore and aft flex while being remarkably rigid when you try to trist the wheel. IMO it rides much better than standard steel or al rigid forks. It also has heaps of room for big tires.

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
XCBob said:
Winwood also makes a carbon mtb fork, but for some reason is not susp-corrected.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
XCBob said:
Where can I find a Pace rc31? Are they available in the States?
Bob,

hey there. if you're interested in the pace rc31 PM thru MTBR or email me at kamnpritiATgmailDOTcom

cheers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
shwinboy said:
I ride a pace. I love it. I came off a 80mm fox vanilla and while it's not as plush I actually prefer it for its directness, uber quick stering and the fact it's 1.3kg lighter. It has a noticable fore and aft flex while being remarkably rigid when you try to trist the wheel. IMO it rides much better than standard steel or al rigid forks. It also has heaps of room for big tires.
Is the flex a problem with disc brakes? do you find any rotor rub during a climb?

·
Wandering not Lost
632 Posts
ok...have to ask

if I run a 100 mm fork w/ a 26" wheel what length rigid fork would I need?

I am sure the answer is here...just having a dumb day...

thanks

or tell me if I am right....

430mm = corrected for 80 mm travel right?

so 450 mm for the 100....sorry working on little sleep

https://www.starbike.com/php/basket.php?lang=en

I think this is the fork...seems it will b e about 315 shipped to me...

·
Let me ask my wife
358 Posts
What was the shortest axle to crown length these forks came in? Where the older RC30's any shorter?

·
Registered
112 Posts
pace forks

XCBob said:
XCBOB,
I have the Pace forks on my dean colonel. They are 3 1/2 years old and are fantastic. I would not consider any other rigid fork. Bags of room between the tyre and crown and tyre and legs. I had no issues with disc rub(when I had a disc) now use Avid arch supremes again no issues with the canti mounts. Agree with other comments on fore and aft movement, this does not affect steering ie both legs move together. The forks survived a 12hr race in Sydney 3 yrs ago and a very harsh SSWC '03. They still look brand new. If they suited the road bike they would be on that too! i bought mine from the UK when there, however, a web retailer in UK stocks them all the time go to
www.wiggle.co.uk
buy them and enjoy

steve

·
Registered
439 Posts
HoSS said:
What was the shortest axle to crown length these forks came in? Where the older RC30's any shorter?
Current RC31's are 440mm a-c

The older ones (silver crown) are 420mm

not sure about RC30's. (there have been quite a few variations of them over the years)

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
the pace rc31 fork is available in 420 or 440mm lengths. it's disc only out of the box. if one wants to use v-brakes, they have to buy the clamp kit. one also get the 420m fork in a 1" steerer.

i just bought a new pace rc31 from star bike. i have heard great things about them. price was ok, $310US shipped to my door here in los angeles from germany. i got the 440mm version. it will be going on a steel 29er ss. i think i should have ordered the v-brake kit too.

as for the fork, it's a damn great rigid fork. there is for to aft flex, that's the way this fork works. there is no lateral flex, it is one of the stiffest fork i have used (and i've used fox and marzocchis, and i am currently on a reba).

i can't wait to get back to rigid with this fork...it is that good. i should have based my cx frame on the 420mm version of this fork too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.