Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this for little money.. Its rattle can black and has 26 inch wheels with a bitex hub in the front and shimano 100gs derailleur on the back the rest is painted over. No model nothing. Is it just a Chinese import or something good?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It's a bike, a step above a BSO (bike shaped object). I see nothing to indicate anything special, but its marginally better than a dept store bike. All the parts are low end basic stuff. Good town beater, grocery getter, beer run bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought this for little money.. Its rattle can black and has 26 inch wheels with a bitex hub in the front and shimano 100gs derailleur on the back the rest is painted over. No model nothing. Is it just a Chinese import or something good?
You might see if it has a serial number engraved on it - see Bike serial numbers and see if you can use that to find more info...

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
that is from the 80's for sure...but too vague.
serial number and

better picture of rear dropouts help mystery bike searches
but it does look like generic dept store model based on parts

[however the welds look better than garbage bikes from the 80's]

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
I take back what I said about the welds.

it looks weird for sure...someone has to know that dropout style

·
since 4/10/2009
37,115 Posts
Maybe you could sand the black spray paint and see what's underneath?
about as good as anything.

start with the headtube area with a really fine sandpaper. if you're lucky, the head badge was painted on and you can recover enough to see what it was. the sides of the downtube are another possibility, but you'll have to get more paint off to see. plus the model name, which is probably on the top tube somewhere.

·
ACHOO
4,508 Posts
I think the OP is hosed regardless. If it is some valuable bike (which I have no idea about), it has been ruined by that paint, and any attempt at removal or sanding would ruin it further, killing the value.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.