Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone who is between 6'3 and 6'5 has ridden an XL Mach 6? I have been waiting on a frame for the last couple months and it should show up this week but I'm getting kind of nervous about the fit. The reach on it looks so short. I have such an awesome build kit waiting to go on it with full XTR with the 987 brakes a pike and a debon air rear shock but now worried it's not going to fit me right. I am 6'4 and currently riding a 650B trek slash which has a reach of 18.9 and the mach 6 XL is 16.7 which is pretty significant. Just looking for some input from anyone who has ridden one?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hey, I have to say that I think this is a legit concern, and something I've been struggling with. I'm 6'2.5", so shorter than you, but I'm not in love with the geometry on the XL M6. The issues I have are 1) slack seat angle, which, when coupled with a high saddle really puts your butt over the rear hub. This makes the bike very playful, but also tough to keep the front end down when climbing steep tech. And, 2) When standing, I feel like the bars are very close to my knees, which makes it tough to stay 'behind' the bars on steep/gnarly descents. I sometimes feel like I'm in danger of going over the bars when bashing down rough steep stuff, unless I really focus on bending at the waist.

I recently rode a Kona Process 153, which has a long/low geometry similar to your Trek. I found this bike to be much more confidence-inspiring on fast rough downhills. It is, however, a bit less playful and maneuverable. I mean, your Trek has a wheelbase over 2" longer than the Pivot. That's a lot!

I think bottom line is that you can fit on a M6, but it'll ride very differently than your Trek. The M6, particularly in the XL sizes, feels very compact and maneuverable; it's not unlike my Ibis Ripley in this regard, it's an agile and flickable feel. So I'd consider how you like the fit of your Trek, and what kind of riding you do. I think the Pivot is AWESOME as a trail bike, fun and maneuverable on flat terrain, and the DW link is the best suspension I've ever ridden. But when things get steep and rowdy, I think the geometry lets it down somewhat, at least for tall guys. Bottom line, I think the Pivot will ride like a trail bike that descends very well, while your Slash will ride like an AM/light DH bike that works OK as a trail bike. So up to you in terms of what you're looking for...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm 6'6" and have a mach6 XL. To me the buje feels great, I haven't had any issues climbing or descending. My previous bike was a Gary fisher cake dlx2 and that thing is very twitchy and nervous feeling going down the hills in Laguna. I have an 80mm stem with a 5mm rise and have the seat all the way forward to get my knees in the right position on the cranks. I guess it all depends on what you're used to riding.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 6'6" and have a mach6 XL. To me the buje feels great, I haven't had any issues climbing or descending. My previous bike was a Gary fisher cake dlx2 and that thing is very twitchy and nervous feeling going down the hills in Laguna. I have an 80mm stem with a 5mm rise and have the seat all the way forward to get my knees in the right position on the cranks. I guess it all depends on what you're used to riding.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
This makes me feel a little better, I was getting pretty worried for a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I have to say that I think this is a legit concern, and something I've been struggling with. I'm 6'2.5", so shorter than you, but I'm not in love with the geometry on the XL M6. The issues I have are 1) slack seat angle, which, when coupled with a high saddle really puts your butt over the rear hub. This makes the bike very playful, but also tough to keep the front end down when climbing steep tech. And, 2) When standing, I feel like the bars are very close to my knees, which makes it tough to stay 'behind' the bars on steep/gnarly descents. I sometimes feel like I'm in danger of going over the bars when bashing down rough steep stuff, unless I really focus on bending at the waist.
Drewbird, have you demo'd or sat on a Large? I am thinking about buying a second one for my dad for fathers day/his birthday and he is 6'2 and wondering if I could get him on a Large because my lbs has one available in Large immediately. He has only been biking for a month or so on a hardtail i got him for Christmas and he is unbelievably fit on the climbs but is very timid going down so I wanted to get him something that will descent well.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Drewbird, have you demo'd or sat on a Large? I am thinking about buying a second one for my dad for fathers day/his birthday and he is 6'2 and wondering if I could get him on a Large because my lbs has one available in Large immediately. He has only been biking for a month or so on a hardtail i got him for Christmas and he is unbelievably fit on the climbs but is very timid going down so I wanted to get him something that will descent well.
I'm 5'11" on a large M6 w/ 65mm stem and 740mm bars. Fits great, but I would size up ASAP if I was any taller in the upper body/arms.

Unless riding with a 90mm stem appeals to you.

I find the Mach 6 is a great bike for balanced up and down techy riding.

The slack front end and stiff frame is great for picking your way down steep narrow tech lines.

Be ready for him to climb even better! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts