Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
HUSKERS said:
I'm thinking about going with a 29er for the 09 race season. Is anyone racing a 29er?
OK. Yes. Anyone who owns/rides a 29er...and races..... Races a 29er....

HUSKERS said:
What I wanted to know is how it handles compared to the 26...I thought I'd see what others think about the 29er.
You're joking, right?? I mean, you are F'ing KIDDING??

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
HUSKERS said:
I'm thinking about going with a 29er for the 09 race season. What I wanted to know is how it handles compared to the 26. It might be a while before I can test ride so I thought I'd see what others think about the 29er.

Thanks
After seeing the "Huskers" - I checked your blog and see you also race in the Psycowpath series. Lots of 29"ers in that series. The most I've seen, in fact, when compared to Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois. The 29"er is an ideal platform for the Nebraska trails. Matt Gersib lives in Lincoln and rides the big wheels. I'm sure he could hook you up with a test ride or two.

Here's a few 29"ers racing in Nebraska:

Me at Tranquility...

Same corner, same photographer, same big wheels, different rider with better legs:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...

Me at Ponca...

Matt Gersib flying at Swanson (I think it's Swanson)...

The big wheels taking me over the technical at Lake Manawa...

and...

You could go to Tom Winfield's photo web site and check out all his pictures. You'll find lots of 29"ers racing in the Psycowpath series.

But no matter what wheel size, this guy - Cam Kirkpatrick - on his small wheels wins...

But I'm pretty sure Cam would have the same results on 26", 29" and 650B wheels. As we all know - it's the engine that matters.

You can dial in your handling and fit so well that you'll not miss your 26". A lot of the initial "negatives" have been overcome such as light wheelsets, racing tires, gearing choices, tubeless choices, fork offsets, fork travel, etc... making the big wheels a nice platform choice for midwest XC and endurance racing. The only course I struggled on was the flat Lake Manawa course as I am just too damn tall in those low hanging branches and tree lined twisty turns. It wouldn't matter if I was on 26" wheels or 29" wheels, I would still be on a XL size frame and banging my head on stuff.

Now if you just talk Harp into trying out some big wheels with you....:nono:

BB

·
Registered
430 Posts
I ride a 29er but race a 26er. My over all times are still faster on my lighter 26 inch bike. It could have something to do with the weight difference between the bikes.

Brian

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I raced a 26er for the majority of the races this year. Once I built my 29er I only raced the 26er once and that was at lake manawa. The reason I raced the 26 was because I only had one ride on the 29er and didn't really want to get used to the bike in a race situation. After getting used to my 29er I will never go back to racing my 26" bike for many reasons, the 29er just works a lot better for me. I'm 6'5" so that probably has something to do with it. The big wheels just roll over stuff and hold momentum FAR better than my 26" bike ever did. I honestly haven't noticed many drawbacks of the big wheels other than possibly a little more deflection when hitting a rock/root at the wrong angle and that's nitpicking. The wheel size increase actually helped with gearing as well, now the little ring in front is actually usuable on fairly steep hills without feeling like I'm crawling.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But I'm pretty sure Cam would have the same results on 26", 29" and 650B wheels. As we all know - it's the engine that matters.

You can dial in your handling and fit so well that you'll not miss your 26". A lot of the initial "negatives" have been overcome such as light wheelsets, racing tires, gearing choices, tubeless choices, etc... making the big wheels a nice platform choice for midwest XC and endurance racing. The only course I struggled on was the flat Lake Manawa course as I am just too damn tall in those low hanging branches and tree lined twisty turns. It wouldn't matter if I was on 26" wheels or 29" wheels, I would still be on a XL size frame and banging my head on stuff.

Now if you just talk Harp into trying out some big wheels with you....:nono:

BB

Yeah I'm not sure if Harp will ever change but he does want to try one out sometime.

I'm going to be riding sport this year so I'll get to see Cam and Kent in action. In other words I'll see them pass me 5 or 6 times before I'm done. I like to see what they have for a training program.

Thanks for the pictures and info. I might talk to the 29er guys at the Monkey Wrench and see what they all got to say.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
HUSKERS said:
I'm going to be riding sport this year so I'll get to see Cam and Kent in action. In other words I'll see them pass me 5 or 6 times before I'm done. I like to see what they have for a training program.

QUOTE]

If you're talking about the Kent from Des Moines he's a local and rides a 29" vassago jabberwocky rigid. Not sure how he handles the rigid in all the races but he's definitely MUCH faster than I am or probably ever will be. I actually built a jabberwocky myself to try singlespeeding. Seems like it'll be a good way to train if nothing else.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tiflow_21 said:
HUSKERS said:

QUOTE]

If you're talking about the Kent from Des Moines he's a local and rides a 29" vassago jabberwocky rigid. Not sure how he handles the rigid in all the races but he's definitely MUCH faster than I am or probably ever will be. I actually built a jabberwocky myself to try singlespeeding. Seems like it'll be a good way to train if nothing else.
Kent McNeil from the Omaha area. Kent and Cam tied for first in the final standings in Nebraska.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
tiflow_21 said:
HUSKERS said:

QUOTE]

Yup. Kent C. is a beast on his SS and the big wheels.

I think Huskers is talking about Kent McNeil. These guys (Kent McNeil and Cam) battle it out at every Psycowpath race over in Nebraska:

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Been rac'in one for over a year so here's my take.

Negs,
1. Longer wheel base so tight switches are a bit harder
2. It's a bit heavier
3. If your short you may find it more difficult to reach over the bars and remove the front
wheel..... looking for more negs
Poss,
1. Rolls faster over most any course
2. Bigger wheels just flat climb better
3. Greater control in fast drops
4. You can see better from up there
5. You get a new bike, best of all!

I wouldn't race my 6 as lone as my 9 rides and races as well as it does. Kind of like asking someone to race a 24" wheeled bike when they have a 26 in the garage... Good luck. Happy Trails

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
BruceBrown said:
tiflow_21 said:
Yup. Kent C. is a beast on his SS and the big wheels.

I think Huskers is talking about Kent McNeil. These guys (Kent McNeil and Cam) battle it out at every Psycowpath race over in Nebraska:
Ah, gotcha. I was only able to race one of the psychowpath series races this year (lake manawa) so I'm not very familiar with the Nebraska guys. Cam is a local here in DSM and all I can say is that guy is fast. I think he must train more than I work in a day, the guy is dedicated. I see him out on the trails occasionally and he's usually pushing himself pretty hard. I imagine if he were taller he'd be more open to the 29" wheels, but is always on that orbea FS.

BruceBrown, I take it you're from the DSM area too? Wondering if I've seen you out on the taco ride at times.

Back on topic, 29" wheels compliment the midwestern terrain very well. If you're considering it and race in the midwest I'm guessing you will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I race Dirt Crits (short circuit) and Enduros.

With the Crits: the biggest difference is annoying people that can't ride up steep pitches. When I haven't gotten the hole shot off the line and get stuck behind people and am forced to brake going up hill, I know I use more effort to get the bigger wheel moving again (common sense). Other than that, on the start line, I diddn't notive anything. In terms of the rest of the race, well all the other bits and pieces you know about 29er wheel handling work out in my favour.

With Enduros: Normal stuff, better fit, better ride, more grip in corners/climbing.

PS: My avatar is me racing in one of the crits.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This was my first year of MTB racing. I raced a full rigid Karate Monkey all season. I wasn't competitive (and I don't think I would have been on a 26" bike) but I had a lot of fun. I would say that it was a little slower in tight single track, but on slightly more wide open flowy stuff, it was nice.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
tiflow_21 said:
BruceBrown said:
Ah, gotcha. I was only able to race one of the psychowpath series races this year (lake manawa) so I'm not very familiar with the Nebraska guys. Cam is a local here in DSM and all I can say is that guy is fast. I think he must train more than I work in a day, the guy is dedicated. I see him out on the trails occasionally and he's usually pushing himself pretty hard. I imagine if he were taller he'd be more open to the 29" wheels, but is always on that orbea FS.

BruceBrown, I take it you're from the DSM area too? Wondering if I've seen you out on the taco ride at times.

Back on topic, 29" wheels compliment the midwestern terrain very well. If you're considering it and race in the midwest I'm guessing you will not be dissapointed.
No Taco rides for me. I'm usually working too late to make it to the rides - or one of my kids has a sporting event. My dentist, Al Boone, usually goes to those Taco rides and has invited me several times.

BB

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.