Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
dude, make more of a post that that. dont bother doing it, and riding it. stps are dirt jump/urban/ trials bikes. 5 inches is queer for that because u get more than u want going on in the front.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys

Thanks, I am looking to use it as a freeride hardtail hence the more than 5" question, I was just wondering if anyone else had done it and what their impressions were. Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
its a street bike!

crazyfreerider said:
my friend has a 7 inch fork and it is really nice
dont bother freeriding with it, dont let the raked out frame confuse u. when you brake it off a drop or snap something, giant will laugh at you and not warrantee anything. but its your choice i guess..

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
JBsoxB said:
ask zerosix, i think he has a 150mm z1 on his stp.
nope, HAD an older z1 with 130 and it was too much

now i got a pike at like 110, right where it was designed around.

funny how those professional frame manufacturers know what they're doin when they design geometry around a certain height fork...

so yeah, dont put more then 130 on it. my 130 was fun but now that i got it back down to 110 i definlty like it much better. ive never understood the huge fork on a hardtail thing. if you want alot of suspension, buy a full suspension bike. dont think that just by adding more travel your gunna become a better rider and all that bs, in my oppion more travel (in most instances) makes you a worse rider. no one can deny the sh!t that bmx'rs pull is fvcking stupid. and what do they ride? full ridged. but yeah, i just think a dual crown on a hardtail is stupid as well as more then 130mm...ok fine 150. thats just me though.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if u want a hucking hardtail, someone pointed u at the wrong bike. if you have an stp1 and want to huck with it, sell it.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
skatetokil said:
try it and let me know. i have an stp 1 with the stock drop off on it, but i've been thinking about getting another fork so i could let my broke ass freinds downhill on it every once in a while.
so you wanna get a new fork so your friends can ride it? dont bother. im telling you kids, dont bother putting a huge fork on these bikes (any street bike or hardtail that isnt designed specificly for a huge fork) its dumb and its not gunna make you a better rider what so ever. MORE SUSPENSION DOESNT MAKE YOU MORE SKILLED.

if u want a hucking hardtail, someone pointed u at the wrong bike. if you have an stp1 and want to huck with it, sell it.
the bike can be hucked it'll just feel aweful with a big for on it. if your man enough to take the drop with only alittle travel then you'll be fine.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update

Ok, so after a mixed response, I found a really good deal on some '04 Jr T's. I am going to put them on the STP, I will post pictures once they get here and I get them mounted. The plan is to use it as a hardtail for the winter. Could be interesting!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
KevinM[Freerider] said:
the what would u suggest for "hucking" bike that isn't amazingly expensive?

·
Registered
294 Posts
canada17 said:
Thanks, I am looking to use it as a freeride hardtail hence the more than 5" question, I was just wondering if anyone else had done it and what their impressions were. Thanks for the replys
too short of a wheelbase for this...it's going to feel quite twitchy with anything more than 5 inches. For my DJ/street/4x purposes a 4 inch fork does more than it's job and IMO more accurately fits the geometry. With that bike the lowa' the BB the betta' but to each his own, give er a try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.