Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting rigid carbon fork on my Paragon and am thinking about getting a 45/46mm offset for rather than the G2 Bontrager.
Anyone do it?
My brother has a Raleigh XXIX+G and I like the handling better than the Paragon, I would at least like to try it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been planning on setting up a spreadsheet to check the calculations, but less offset will increase your trail and theoretically make your steering feel more sluggish. Not sure how much you would notice this in "real world" riding. A shorter axle to crown measurement would steepen the head tube angle and could bring the trail measurement back to "stock", but would also lower the bottom bracket a bit because the front end would be lower. I would like to crunch the numbers, realizing that this only tells half the story (materials used, shape, personal preferences, etc will all effect how satisfied an individual is part performance).

I have been thinking about getting a rigid fork for '08 Paragon, but haven't finished researching the options. I am interested in following this thread hoping that people running non-G2 forks (especially rigid) on G2 bike are running, and what they think of their setup.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
One rider's "sluggish"

...is another's "stable". You will notice 5mm of trail difference in the real world, and if your terrain rewards less twitchy handling (as ours here in the front range does) you'll like it just fine. Not a great mod if you live in Vermont, on the other hand.

JHK and many other pros ride higher than normal trail numbers because a quick-handling bike is your enemy when you're exhausted. For most XC racing (though certainly not all), stable ("sluggish" to some) is a benefit.

-Walt

Duvers said:
less offset will increase your trail and theoretically make your steering feel more sluggish. Not sure how much you would notice this in "real world" riding.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I have.
I put a regular F29 on my 08 HIfi 29 while the G2 fork was being serviced.
I have a Lenz Lev4 that I have a DT XMC29 on that I have tried the G2 F29 on also.
the answer is , yes, it will steer and handle a LITTLE different...but all of the above experimenting made NO ground shaking differences. Go figure.
The biggest differences were made when dialing in sag and how the fork worked( which won't effect a rigid fork)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
RPtheFP said:
I am thinking about putting rigid carbon fork on my Paragon and am thinking about getting a 45/46mm offset for rather than the G2 Bontrager.
Anyone do it?
My brother has a Raleigh XXIX+G and I like the handling better than the Paragon, I would at least like to try it.
I would ask what year Raleigh your brother has. '07-'08 XXIX+G bikes had 38mm offset forks so the trail was even more than newer ones. Just curious.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guitar Ted said:
I would ask what year Raleigh your brother has. '07-'08 XXIX+G bikes had 38mm offset forks so the trail was even more than newer ones. Just curious.....
He has a 2009 Raleigh. I know I won't be able to get it to handle exactly like it but I feel that it was more stable than the 'Gon. It could have been the steel ride over the aluminum as well. I may just try the "standard" offset for and sell it if I do not like it. Not a big deal to me.

I could need to adjust the sag. I am not sure were to find the sag measurements for the Fox Shox. I will have to snoop around on the site a bit. I may very well have too much pressure in the fork. I have noticed that the suspension does not do a lot on my bike. So that could be the problem too.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
RPtheFP said:
He has a 2009 Raleigh. I know I won't be able to get it to handle exactly like it but I feel that it was more stable than the 'Gon. It could have been the steel ride over the aluminum as well. I may just try the "standard" offset for and sell it if I do not like it. Not a big deal to me.

I could need to adjust the sag. I am not sure were to find the sag measurements for the Fox Shox. I will have to snoop around on the site a bit. I may very well have too much pressure in the fork. I have noticed that the suspension does not do a lot on my bike. So that could be the problem too.
Well, you'll have an easier time matching that geometry since the '09 Raleigh XXIX+G would have a 46mm offset Rock Shox on it.

As for the Fox forks, I found that getting all the travel out of the previous to 2010 models was not all that easy to do. Seemed like I was always just shy of getting everything out of it. That said, what travel I was getting was good, quality travel which never left me for wanting more. Just that it seems that if you buy an 80 or 100mm travel fork, you should get all the travel you are thinking you should have.

2010 Fox forks with the FIT damper seem to have solved this issue from the little bit of time I got to ride them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Walt said:
...is another's "stable". You will notice 5mm of trail difference in the real world, and if your terrain rewards less twitchy handling (as ours here in the front range does) you'll like it just fine. Not a great mod if you live in Vermont, on the other hand.

-Walt
I noticed going from a 38mm offset to a 44, so that's definitely true.

However, I must be a spaz, because the steering got too fast, and most of the trails I ride here in WI are like trails I've ridden in VT. I liked the slow and stable better, so I've gone the other way on my latest frame/fork purchase.

Less thinking involved with a slacker setup for me. And the less thinking I have to do, the better for me and those riding around me.

PS -- My new frame is not the WW I would love to have some day. Just not a good fiscal year to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.