Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey now!!! Your talking about my girl there ;)

View attachment 1367511

Ok, she may not be the prettiest bike I own, nothing like my MB1 or Bonty Race that's for sure, but she is a fat bike after all. At least she’s long. Nothing uglier than a short wheelbase fat bike imo

Regardless of that, it’s how she moves that makes her so damn hot! Especially in turns and the berms and the rocks and the drops. Plus, I am a big believer in compatibility and having my needs meet. Doesn’t matter how pretty she is if we are not compatible and she’s not meeting my needs. I think the blizzard is a better looking fat bike, but I am not as compatible with its super short head tube and without sliding dropouts, my needs just aren't going to be meet :rolleyes:

As for the XXL Stout, 470mm reach is exactly the same as my 2004 XL gary fisher. So, I could fit it, but would need to run a long 70mm stem like I do on that bike, and as much as 2020 sucks, I don't want to go back to 2004 bike handling. Plus, like I said, that seat tube length at 558mm is ridiculous :skep:

Here are some turns, berms, rocks and drops that really bring out the personality of my RSD. After all, that is what matters most. Plus, every thread needs more trail pics... imo

View attachment 1367503

View attachment 1367501

View attachment 1367505

View attachment 1367507

View attachment 1367509
The reach on the rsd is 456

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Bipolar roller
1,293 Posts
What year?

The only bike available buy. https://rsdbikes.com/mayor-v5-aluminum/

Not too interested in looking into the geo of a bike not available anymore. What’s the point of looking at the geo of a bike you can’t get and determining it is not the best option available to buy, if it is not available to buy? :skep:

Regardless, the largest size Mayor RSD made before their newest revision, the V5, was the XXL V4 and it had 500mm reach, 67* HA, 73.5* SA, 510 seat tube length, 150mm head tube and sliding rear droppers for 450-465mm chain stay. I have an XL of that year that has a reach of just under 470 and was thinking the XXL would be too big for my liking as I usually like to ride a slightly smaller bike. But after riding the XL V4 for 4 months I have realized I was wrong and before I could buy the old V4 XXL they sold out and came out with the V5.

Are you interested in the geo of the V2 or V3 as well? Those models are not available to buy either however

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The only bike available buy. https://rsdbikes.com/mayor-v5-aluminum/

Not too interested in looking into the geo of a bike not available anymore. What’s the point of looking at the geo of a bike you can’t get and determining it is not the best option available to buy, if it is not available to buy? :skep:

Regardless, the largest size Mayor RSD made before their newest revision, the V5, was the XXL V4 and it had 500mm reach, 67* HA, 73.5* SA, 510 seat tube length, 150mm head tube and sliding rear droppers for 450-465mm chain stay. I have an XL of that year that has a reach of just under 470 and was thinking the XXL would be too big for my liking as I usually like to ride a slightly smaller bike. But after riding the XL V4 for 4 months I have realized I was wrong and before I could buy the old V4 XXL they sold out and came out with the V5.

Are you interested in the geo of the V2 or V3 as well? Those models are not available to buy either however
I’m very close on the V5 xxl - I spoke to rsd today .

I’m 6 4 plus with long legs ...

However I’m also interested in the 9.6 Farley love that color . Maybe add longer stem & surly sunrise riser bars to make up for reach.

·
Registered
210 Posts
However I’m also interested in the 9.6 Farley love that color.
The new 2021 Carbon Blue Smoke?

I found a great deal on a Rage Red Farley 9.8 so tried to pass down my 6 month old Matt Olive 9.6 to the Wife.
She wasn't too excited about the green color so I sold it and picked up the new Carbon Blue Smoke instead. She Loves it!

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The new 2021 Carbon Blue Smoke?

I found a great deal on a Rage Red Farley 9.8 so tried to pass down my 6 month old Matt Olive 9.6 to the Wife.
She wasn't too excited about the green color so I sold it and picked up the new Carbon Blue Smoke instead. She Loves it!

Gorgeous just not sure geo works for me.

·
Bipolar roller
1,293 Posts
Gorgeous just not sure geo works for me.

That is a really good looking bike. My first mtb was a trek and always had a thing for the way they look.

Check out the Norco Bigfoot. Similar lines as the trek, although not a sexy imo, but has more clyde friendly geo.

·
Registered
Dekerf SS...Ridley...Tantrum... Growler...Marino
131 Posts
The bike is a quick and agile ride that really surprised me going to 3.0 tires. I had a first generation frame that did fail but this updated frame looks great. Growlers customer service is top notch...Thank you Ben!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
That bike looks awesome and I would have bought one instead of the hardtail fat I went with, but way too small for me at 6’4. Biggest size they make is a large :( There XL hardtails are a bit small as well for me, but look awesome. Hope they start marking bigger bikes for us clydes as I would love to get one.
It is indeed a ery fun bike...fyi, it's the ***** SNo4 or whatever its called.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I chose the Growler primarily it allowed me to select components that I didn't need to upgrade later.
Just ordered an American Stout. I agree - was able to wrap all the things I would want into one purchase. I didn't think the custom color thing would be so groovy too until I settled on a bike that only came in pink (and now the new color isn't much better, looks like a damn easter egg!) And it wasn't avail until the new year... maybe, so I started to look elsewhere and found Growler...

Helps that they have great customer support too. Very accessible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey now!!! Your talking about my girl there ;)

View attachment 1367511

Ok, she may not be the prettiest bike I own, nothing like my MB1 or Bonty Race that's for sure, but she is a fat bike after all. At least she’s long. Nothing uglier than a short wheelbase fat bike imo

Regardless of that, it’s how she moves that makes her so damn hot! Especially in turns and the berms and the rocks and the drops. Plus, I am a big believer in compatibility and having my needs meet. Doesn’t matter how pretty she is if we are not compatible and she’s not meeting my needs. I think the blizzard is a better looking fat bike, but I am not as compatible with its super short head tube and without sliding dropouts, my needs just aren't going to be meet :rolleyes:

As for the XXL Stout, 470mm reach is exactly the same as my 2004 XL gary fisher. So, I could fit it, but would need to run a long 70mm stem like I do on that bike, and as much as 2020 sucks, I don't want to go back to 2004 bike handling. Plus, like I said, that seat tube length at 558mm is ridiculous :skep:

Here are some turns, berms, rocks and drops that really bring out the personality of my RSD. After all, that is what matters most. Plus, every thread needs more trail pics... imo

View attachment 1367503

View attachment 1367501

View attachment 1367505

View attachment 1367507

View attachment 1367509
The Grower American Stout in XXL was specifically designed for guys that start at 6’4” and taller. The man who designed the bike is 6’3” himself. I would look again at the XXL.

·
Bipolar roller
1,293 Posts
The Grower American Stout in XXL was specifically designed for guys that start at 6’4” and taller. The man who designed the bike is 6’3” himself. I would look again at the XXL.
Just took another look and the seat tube height looks a lot better now at 500mm on the XXL. Does look like a really nice bike, just too short for me with the reach at only 470 for the XXL. That reach number is a size Large for brands like Norco, RSD, RockyMountain, pole and a few others. Also, for me, sliding or adjustable rear drop outs are a must. Not sure if the stout has that or not, but does not look like it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts