Discussion Starter #1
Feedback? Thoughts ?

My brother is looking @ them vs the Farley 9.6

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
31 Posts
i got the double stout a few months ago. Awesome bike and the guys at Growler are awesome for customer support. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Best damn choice I made! I've clocked my fastest times on my local trails on my Growler fatbike; faster than my 29er full-susser and faster than my 26 hardtail. Love my Growler! #GrowlerFamily

·
Bipolar roller
1,292 Posts
i got the double stout a few months ago. Awesome bike and the guys at Growler are awesome for customer support. Highly recommend.
That bike looks awesome and I would have bought one instead of the hardtail fat I went with, but way too small for me at 6’4. Biggest size they make is a large :( There XL hardtails are a bit small as well for me, but look awesome. Hope they start marking bigger bikes for us clydes as I would love to get one.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That bike looks awesome and I would have bought one instead of the hardtail fat I went with, but way too small for me at 6’4. Biggest size they make is a large :( There XL hardtails are a bit small as well for me, but look awesome. Hope they start marking bigger bikes for us clydes as I would love to get one.
They make a double XL American stout

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kona fat bikes are the biggest well find - I’m 6 “4” plus 245 - they are hard to find .

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Bipolar roller
1,292 Posts
Crap. Read your post wrong. Thought you said they made an XL double stout, not double XL stout.

I saw the XXL stout, but reach is too short for me at only 470mm which is a large for other fat bike companies. I would need to run a 70mm stem to make that work. But the seat tube length at 558mm is what really threw me off. I run a 170mm dropper on my xl fat with a 490mm seat tube. I will transfer that to my XXL frame I have on order that has a 520mm seat tube. At 6’4, it will fit just fine. But with a 558 seat tube I would only be able to run a 100mm drooper or so, and the seat would be way too high when dropped which is not good for my balls :nono: I would actually like a much shorter seat tube, something like on the XL blizzard at 480mm, so I could run a 200mm dropper.

Kona fat bikes are the biggest well find - I’m 6 “4” plus 245 - they are hard to find .
Rocky Mountain and RSD are two companies off the top of my head that make bikes just as big, but with modern geometry. The Kona fat bikes haven’t had their geometry updated for half a decade. That is a looooong time in the mountain bike world. Plus, I have enough vintage/retro bikes in my shed for whenever I am feeling nostalgic about mtb and want to re-experience the thrill I had in the 90’s of riding bikes with super quick and sketchy head angles. It keeps you on your toes that’s for sure, especially after riding a modern bike.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crap. Read your post wrong. Thought you said they made a XL double stout, not double XL stout.

I saw the XXL American stout, but reach is too short for me at only 470mm. That is a large for other fat bike companies. But the seat tube length at 558mm is what really threw me off. I run a 170mm dropper on my xl fat with a 490mm seat tube. I plan to transfer that to my XXL frame I have on order that has a 520mm seat tube. At 6’4, it will fit just fine. But with a 558 seat tube I would only be able to run a 100mm drooper or so, and the seat would be way too high when dropped and that is not good for my balls :nono: I would actually like a much shorter seat tube, something like the XL blizzard’s 480mm one, so I could run a 200mm dropper.

Rocky Mountain and RSD are two companies off the top of my head that make bikes just as big, but with modern geometry. The Kona fat bikes haven’t had their geometry updated for half a decade. That is a looooong time in the mountain bike world. Plus, I have enough vintage/retro bikes in my shed for whenever I am feeling nostalgic about mtb and want to re-experience the thrill I had in the 90’s of riding bikes with super quick and sketchy head angles. It keeps you on your toes that’s for sure, especially after riding a modern bike.
So what fat bike do you ride? I’m as big as you - you think the xxl stout still too small ?
RSD bikes are ugly imo

·
Bipolar roller
1,292 Posts
So what fat bike do you ride? I’m as big as you - you think the xxl stout still too small ?
RSD bikes are ugly imo

Hey now!!! Your talking about my girl there ;)

B14E8375-6438-4C42-9EE9-0ECAFE3D9B23.jpeg

Ok, she may not be the prettiest bike I own, nothing like my MB1 or Bonty Race that's for sure, but she is a fat bike after all. At least she’s long. Nothing uglier than a short wheelbase fat bike imo

Regardless of that, it’s how she moves that makes her so damn hot! Especially in turns and the berms and the rocks and the drops. Plus, I am a big believer in compatibility and having my needs meet. Doesn’t matter how pretty she is if we are not compatible and she’s not meeting my needs. I think the blizzard is a better looking fat bike, but I am not as compatible with its super short head tube and without sliding dropouts, my needs just aren't going to be meet :rolleyes:

As for the XXL Stout, 470mm reach is exactly the same as my 2004 XL gary fisher. So, I could fit it, but would need to run a long 70mm stem like I do on that bike, and as much as 2020 sucks, I don't want to go back to 2004 bike handling. Plus, like I said, that seat tube length at 558mm is ridiculous :skep:

Here are some turns, berms, rocks and drops that really bring out the personality of my RSD. After all, that is what matters most. Plus, every thread needs more trail pics... imo

D540C7BC-2293-4B8E-BDA3-43F6B6BDF13D.jpeg

Picture1.jpg

5E26236A-2558-4394-87CD-FF5DBEE6609E.jpeg

E4A498C3-D246-4288-B062-5344E300567D.jpeg

845239AE-1986-4CA6-B6E0-23DE1B0D000D.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my American Stout GX

Just got my American Stout GX. It's a great bike out of the box. Only had to put the front wheel on, pedals, and adjust seat height and i was out riding. Everything was already adjusted. The American Stout GX vs the Farley 9.6 are both GX, but the big difference is the suspension fork. For the same price of the Farley 9.6 rigid fork, you can have a Mastadon suspension fork, plus bigger rotors.

If you're looking for customized colors, the Growler is the way to go. They have a ton of colors to powder coat your frame. They give you options for wheel size, tires, headsets, forks, dropper, etc.

I chose the Growler primarily it allowed me to select components that I didn't need to upgrade later.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey now!!! Your talking about my girl there ;)

View attachment 1367511

Ok, she may not be the prettiest bike I own, nothing like my MB1 or Bonty Race that's for sure, but she is a fat bike after all. At least she’s long. Nothing uglier than a short wheelbase fat bike imo

Regardless of that, it’s how she moves that makes her so damn hot! Especially in turns and the berms and the rocks and the drops. Plus, I am a big believer in compatibility and having my needs meet. Doesn’t matter how pretty she is if we are not compatible and she’s not meeting my needs. I think the blizzard is a better looking fat bike, but I am not as compatible with its super short head tube and without sliding dropouts, my needs just aren't going to be meet :rolleyes:

As for the XXL Stout, 470mm reach is exactly the same as my 2004 XL gary fisher. So, I could fit it, but would need to run a long 70mm stem like I do on that bike, and as much as 2020 sucks, I don't want to go back to 2004 bike handling. Plus, like I said, that seat tube length at 558mm is ridiculous :skep:

Here are some turns, berms, rocks and drops that really bring out the personality of my RSD. After all, that is what matters most. Plus, every thread needs more trail pics... imo

View attachment 1367503

View attachment 1367501

View attachment 1367505

View attachment 1367507

View attachment 1367509
Very nice but I’m looking @ rsd mayor geo chart and the reach isn’t over 470?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got my American Stout GX. It's a great bike out of the box. Only had to put the front wheel on, pedals, and adjust seat height and i was out riding. Everything was already adjusted. The American Stout GX vs the Farley 9.6 are both GX, but the big difference is the suspension fork. For the same price of the Farley 9.6 rigid fork, you can have a Mastadon suspension fork, plus bigger rotors.

If you're looking for customized colors, the Growler is the way to go. They have a ton of colors to powder coat your frame. They give you options for wheel size, tires, headsets, forks, dropper, etc.

I chose the Growler primarily it allowed me to select components that I didn't need to upgrade later.
The 9.6 is much lighter tho and carbon

1 - 20 of 38 Posts