Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I went riding the DH track with my 6-pack. On my third run I noticed that the BB had started to back out and to avoid any damage to the threads I had to take it really easy down the track. This meant dragging the brakes all the way down 1200 vertical feet. Afterwards I noticed a distinct lack of power and took the wheel off to have a look at the pads.

Eyewear Product Brown Amber Tan

Judging by the discoloration of the metal I would say they were fairly hot and it seems they are glazed over. It's kind of hard to see in the picture but the surface is quite shiny. So I sanded off the surface layer and put the pads back in. Now the brake is almost too powerful and quite difficult to modulate. It also makes a strange squealing noise. Maybe it will break in again after some more riding as I only took it out for a quick spin.

Has anyone else had similar experience? Is there a better pad than the Avid one?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I've had similar experiences with my Juicys. On long descents with near constant braking I have noticed some brake fade as the pads heat up. Glazed pads are easily restored with some sandpaper as you found out, after you do this you'll have to go through the break in process again.

A few people on this board have mentioned that the Galfer pads are pretty nice, I've got a set that I'll try out as soon as the Avids I've got now wear out.

Another thing to check, make sure your Avid pads are the B4 and not the C4. The designation is stamped on the back of the pad. The C4 is an older compound which I have found doesn't perform as well as the B4, more prone to glazing and fade as well.

Hope that helps.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
What size rotor ?
Wouldn't be fair to find out that you took a 160 rotor down a long DH run.

I've never toasted the pads on my 180 rotors doing 3000' DH in Vail.

Those pads are salvageable. Just do a few figure 8's lightly over medium grit sandpaper and they'll be good as new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
What size rotor ?
Wouldn't be fair to find out that you took a 160 rotor down a long DH run.

I've never toasted the pads on my 180 rotors doing 3000' DH in Vail.

Those pads are salvageable. Just do a few figure 8's lightly over medium grit sandpaper and they'll be good as new.
Fair point, I'm running a 203 mm rotor up front and a 185 mm in the rear. Both brakes were cooked. I'm a bit surprised because it's not that long of a descent. I was however going very slow staying seated for most of the way down. I already sanded the pads and the brakes seem to be working again.

Bonus picture of bike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.