·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Always ask google

ArmySlowRdr said:
wtf is celiac?
I mainly eat Clif and gels.
In google type "celiac definition"

Celiac disease occurs when the body reacts abnormally to gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and oats. Gluten causes an inflammatory response in the small intestine, which damages the tissues and results in impaired ability to absorb nutrients from foods. The inflammation and malabsorption create wide-ranging problems in many systems of the body.

·
Registered
95 Posts
jim-nc

I am a "celiac" as I was diagnosed with this disease in 1995. (although I probably have had the disease all my life without knowing it).

I have spent the past 10 years researching this disease and have found that there are different degrees of "celiac" and many different triggers that can cause an "outbreak".

If you wish, contact me privately, and I will be happy to share my information with you, as I feel it not necessary or proper to post a medical dissertation here.

RE: sports bars;
You can check out a local "health food store" and see what types and brands are available.
You can make your own, yes, shelf life is severely limited, but you can make them in small quantities and eat what you bring.
You can bring a substitute on the trail.

Pending on your "level" of "celiac" you may be able to tolerate a small ammount of gluten without any adverse reactions, there fore a few "sports bars" might be acceptable/tolerable to your digestive tract.

Again, you are more than welcome to contact me privately on this issue, and I will be happy to discuss it with you in more detail.

Good to see another "Celiac" MTB'r,.....

Live Long,....Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Celiac....long

jim-nc said:
need to know what kind of sport bars you eat?
I was told that I had celiac since I was 2. Way back when I was a child, I couldn't digest bulgar (wheat products). I ended up in the hospital and almost died. My doctor, at the time didn't understand the issue and had me on a diet of pure cream of wheat.....pure death to a celiac patient. Another doctor was going by my room and stopped in to talk to my parents. After talking to them and reviewing my chart, he immediately took over my care which included removing all bulgar products from my diet. I immediately started to recover.

Fast forward a few decades. I was getting a physical and happened to mention, to my new doctor, that I had celiac. He asked me how I knew and I told him the story. He told me that there was no blood test for celiac back then. The only way to diagnose celiac then was to put the patient on a bulgar free diet and see that the symptoms went away...then go back on a bulgar diet, and see if the symptoms return...then biopsy the intestines....then go bulgar free again...and one last biopsy. I asked my folks if that had been done....and they said no.

My current doctor told me, about 10 years ago, that they had just developed a blood test for celiac. I took the test and got a negative result. I didn't have celiac. Celiac is a life-long condition and there is no cure. I must have had something else..whew.

Did you take the blood test to prove that you have celiac?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Blue Shorts

Greetings fellow Celiac MTB'r

I had an endoscopy performed in 1995, a biopsy of the "villi" concluded a positive result for the celiac-spru condition.

Yes, there is a current blood test available that unfortunately is only only 90% conclusive.
An endoscopy is the ONLY 100% conclusive procedure available to those that suspect the disease.
The only other option is to go on a total gluten free diet, (a test period) and see if conditions improve.

Celiac-spru is an often mis-understood disease and is usually mis-diagnosed.
Celiac-spru is an intolerance to gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and oats.
Those that have the disease, and ingest gluten, will find that the protein gluten will deform, retard, and in severe conditions destroy the "villi" in the small intestine. "Villi" are small hair like/finger like projections that cover the lining of the small intestine.
"Villi" are regenerative, and can re-grow with the removal of gluten from the diet.

(gittin' off my medical dissertation soap-box)

Yes, those with "celiac-spru" have this disease for life, as it stands now the only cure for "celiac-spru" is to go on a 100% gluten free diet.

However, through my research there are "levels" of celiac and many different triggers, stress being one, and others.

Therefore different "celiac-spru" patients will have different levels of tolerance/intolerance to gluten.

Here in Memphis in 1995, I helped to establish a "Celiac-Spru" support group, as we share recipes, relay information on gluten free products, continue to research this disease, as well as promote physician understanding and proper diagnosis of those suspected with "celiac".

If anyone with this disease will contact me, I will be happy to share information, and support my fellow "Celiac-Spru" MTB'rs.

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

·
Registered
31 Posts
I dont have cieliac, but i do have asevere wheat intolerance. Woe to me and anybody around me if i have had wheat ;)

I generally use the gel type stuff, as well as honey soaked seed bars that you can buy at health type stores. They taste great and are packed with energy. You could also try honey stingers - or just take honey along with you in squeeze packs.

Phill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.