Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Is anybody on an XL Nomad? Wanted to hear your thoughts on sizing...

I'm 6'4" and 225lbs., and looking for a good all-mountain bike. I already have a North Shore bike, and am not planning on going huge on this bike. Will be hitting the odd drop up to about 3 or 4', but mostly doing epic back-country rides (and whatever that entails).

Am planning on spec'ing it with a Lyrik, 8" rotors, and 2.35" tires. I'll probably start with a 70mm stem, but adjust depending on fit.

According to the SC site, the XL is the right size for me but I wanted to hear the thoughts of other tall riders.

Thanks.

·
COLT 45
11 Posts
Xxl

I am on my second Nomad, I went from a medium to a large to gain some room. I have a all mountain build with the Lyric...works great. I have ridden a friends XL and ride it comfortably. Oh yea I am 5'8" with short legs. If they had a XXL that would be a good fit for the over 6' crowd. Good luck yoy cant go wrong with the Nomad!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have had my XL for about a week. I switched from a Large Turner 6 Pack-which is virtually identical to the XL Nomad (1/4 longer toptube). I am about 6'2" and 200lbs with gear. With your height you will benefit from the position of the taller headtube vs. the large-no need for spacers to raise your stem. I loved my Turner, but for me the Nomad is a better ride. Does drops, dirt jumps, and hauls the mail on downhills and singletrack with ease. Have fun on your new ride.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm 6'3.5" I have a shortish 34" inseam, so longer torso and Love my XL. I tried a Large at IB and am glad that I went with the XL. I originally had a 70mm stem on it but wasn't crazy about the handling although I had a tall 05 66VF 150 mm fork on it, switched to a 100mm and all is good. I have now switched to a 07 66 SL ATA 140 - 180 mm and it is 8mm shorter ATC than the old fork with 150mm so I may try it again with the 70mm as a taste test (besides its a Thomson, can't let it gather dust too long) in the spring. Too much snow to test it now, that and I just had a plate removed from my tibia last week.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Stick with the XL!!!

I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam and long arms. I've got about 8-9" of post stickin out of the frame and a 110mm stem hangin off my Mav. I have no problems getting behind the seat or positioning myself over the front for climbs. The tall head tube allows me to run my bars level with the seat, which positions me well balanced for agressive XC.

I'm used to long bikes and even the XL feels a little short to me. I think if your lookin for a good all-around bike that can climb, I'd stick with the XL.

Take a look at my ride, I know I need to get some updated photos, but this will give you an idea of my positioning.

Best-o-luck!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All righty! XL it is. Thanks for confirming what I figured, everyone.

BMJ - that's one seriously sweet ride. I was leaning towards the white frame, with ano black as my second choice, but that kind of tips the scales towards ano black. Match that up with a diffusion black Lyrik and it should be a stealth ride. :D

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
I'm 6'2" and ride an XL

I've had an XL Chamelion, Heckler, and now Nomad. It fits me comfortably and I love it. I rode the L, but it just didn't feel right.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. I've ordered a white XL. Should be here soon, hopefully. Then I just have to wait for the parts. I don't have the right wheelset for it, and have ordered a set of the white Syncros all mountain wheels.

The plan is to build with a matte black Lyrik, a Truvativ Stylo AM crankset, SRAM drivetrain, Saint brakes, and various other parts as the budget permits. Will post pix when it's built. Am really excited!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.