Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to ask this question as the 29er forum may be a Little biased. I have sold my 26 carbon HT Scott Scale and plan on purchasing a 29 HT. Of course I have read of many satisfied 29er customers but is there anyone who has purchased a 29 then reverted back to a 26?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I sold mine (Sultan). I just like the way my Flux, 5-Spot, and 6-Pack handle better. There are some cool 29ers out there, but there are better 26ers imho.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not completely. After going 29er for a year, I decided to get the best of both.
I now use a 69er. I like my 29er HT better than my friends 29er FS.
I think if your going 29er you must keep it light to take advantage of the large wheel.
JMHO.

·
Relax. I'm a pro.
1,464 Posts
The Gary Fisher 29er that I tried was slow and boring. I still prefer my 26" HT. If you need bigger wheels to roll over stuff better, you need to upgrade your skills.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I tried a few suspension 29r frames

and decided to keep my 26rs. My feelings might be because I'm a short guy with short legs but thats how I felt. I liked the DW Sultan best and then the Ventana El Rey, possibly due to the great standover and small sizing available, but I'm sticking with my old bikes.
I have however been considering a 29r SS custom built for my shortness.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i've ridden a 29er for about a year, and all i can think about right now is getting a 26er DJ/Urban bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
29er

I was very hesitant about the 29er thing at first. I had a FS 26er at the time. My LBS had to offer a 29er HT demo to try for me to even consider one. Well, long story short, I was blown away. I for one would NEVER go back to a XC 26er. I might, on the other hand, consider a 26er DH bike in the future.

I can't wait to try a 36er !!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I tried a GF 29'er once that the shop had as demo. To be frank, I really wasn't impressed. Didn't like the turning and it seemed to be more work than it was worth. OTOH I'll admit that I didn't spin out as much and was able to clear some sections that I usually had trouble with but it felt like cheating.

I know during one of the races I did, I had an advantage w/ my old GF Sugar 4+ as I was able to handle the turns and numerous switchbacks MUCH easier than those on the 29er's.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't rush out to buy one unless you're already in the market for a new bike. I don't feel there's anything special about them.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,285 Posts
Vlad said:
If you need bigger wheels to roll over stuff better, you need to upgrade your skills.

You better be riding a fully rigid SS then, cause the same could be said of gears and suspension:p

The thing I find with 29ers and test rides, is that you discover the differences, and never get to get past them.

First few rides go something like this, "man, this bike is more work... my little wheels are quicker in tight turns, etc" Ride it for a month, and that chorus fades, and is often replaced with "wow, I can pick a totally different line now, huh, I didn't pedal through that whole section, the bike just seemed on cruise control, etc" Once you stop comparing (the sole purpose of a test ride) you realize the larger benefits, and also, much like a SS, you just get stronger. If you simply trained with the same weight, all the time, you'd never get stronger beyond a certain point. Up the weight though, and you gain strength.

I never understood the whole "29ers are more work" arguement. So? It just makes you stronger. Do a dedicted two month 29er stint, go back to your little wheels, and tell me I'm wrong :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
You better be riding a fully rigid SS then, cause the same could be said of gears and suspension:p

The thing I find with 29ers and test rides, is that you discover the differences, and never get to get past them.

First few rides go something like this, "man, this bike is more work... my little wheels are quicker in tight turns, etc" Ride it for a month, and that chorus fades, and is often replaced with "wow, I can pick a totally different line now, huh, I didn't pedal through that whole section, the bike just seemed on cruise control, etc" Once you stop comparing (the sole purpose of a test ride) you realize the larger benefits, and also, much like a SS, you just get stronger. If you simply trained with the same weight, all the time, you'd never get stronger beyond a certain point. Up the weight though, and you gain strength.

I never understood the whole "29ers are more work" arguement. So? It just makes you stronger. Do a dedicted two month 29er stint, go back to your little wheels, and tell me I'm wrong :thumbsup:
They aren't more work ... overall. They are more work in some situations.

·
1,535 Posts
If you simply trained with the same weight, all the time, you'd never get stronger beyond a certain point. Up the weight though, and you gain strength.
maybe for weight lifting. but this is cycling. you get stronger the more you ride. you don't need to add weight to make you stronger....you just try to go faster and that makes you stronger.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I bought a 29'er rigid SS 3 years ago. Wanted to try out the big wheels and see how they worked for me. Only place that I have found them to be a disadvantage is in REALLY tight switchbacks. Virtually everywhere else, the larger wheels are an advantage IMO. Better climbing/braking traction, better cornering in most places, they blaze through sand and loose stuff almost like it isn't there. I'm just about 5'9" with semi-short legs, so this isn't a "bigger wheels fit my body size better" thing - I really like the feel of being in between the wheels more. When I get back on my 26" I feel like I am "on top of" the bike much more, and they feel like they are much more influenced by the ground than a larger diameter wheel. FWIW, I had close to 30 years on 26" wheels before I tried the 29", and I really don't think I'll go back - at least I won't buy another 26" bike. I have sold most of my 26" stuff off, keeping one just because it is my only FS bike. While my skills aren't as sharp as they were a number of years ago (riding a bit less, living in a place with less technical obstacles, and - ahem - a few years older too...) The big wheels feel to be to be better in the techy stuff - and I am still a pretty good technical rider, but my style has changed with the bigger wheel.

All of that aside - you need to make your own opinion. I would highly recommend that you don't do it in one or two rides. The bigger wheels demand a slightly longer wheelbase that can hinder you in tight turns a bit, and the feel is different. I ponied up and bought, and took a few weeks to really get the feel of the bike. It is a little different. After about my 6th or 7th ride, I had decided that I really liked the big wheels A LOT. After a few more rides (going back and forth between my $700 rigid 29" SS and a $7000 CF Scott Ransom LTD) while in Arizona for a winter break, the big wheels won me over. The next year I didn't even take the Ransom - rode every ride on the rigid SS. I have seen people make the decision to go 29" or not on one test ride - I think that is a mistake, but it can be hard to get a bike for more than a short ride. See if you can borrow a friend's or some other connection to get a few rides in. That way, if you think you like it you will know, and if you don't like it you will really have made an informed choice. Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy your rides!

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Do a dedicted two month 29er stint, go back to your little wheels, and tell me I'm wrong :thumbsup:
i did a stint somewhere around 2 years on a 29er. they are fun bikes... but they aren't for everyone. IMO, they are great fun on the ground. in the air they are inferior to a smaller wheel. for climbing i did notice a difference at first with hooking up on loose stuff, but that's also affect greatly by technique and tire choice, so i think most of my first impression was based on new bike stoke. 29ers do roll longer than 26" wheels so that's cool i guess, but if i'm coasting, i'm usually about to pedal. in serious rock gardens i see no difference between the two wheel sizes - getting through the hard stuff just requires ability and committment whether you're on a 29" or 26" wheel.

i don't think 29ers are a crutch or any more work for that matter, i just don't think they are amazingly awesome for everything. x/c riding, yes they are great fun and i think everyone should give them a shot because it is a different bike and new bikes are fun, but anything beyond that x/c/agressive x/c level of riding, i think 26ers are a better fit.

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,104 Posts
ATBScott said:
The next year I didn't even take the Ransom - rode every ride on the rigid SS.
I've got a friend who's got a 29er, and he rides it rigid as well, w/ a carbon fork & bar. He's one of the fastest riders I know- he just hammers ups as well as downs on that thing.

He's a short little fokker, too, rides a small Niner. :)

·
SS Pusher Man
7,590 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:

Agree'd.......too many people go out on one short demo ride and immediately dismiss the 29er. It does take a few rides to adjuct to it. Once you do......most would be hard pressed to back to 26" wheels.

I have been ridiing 29ers since 2004......but I have always kept a 26er as a backup. I ride my Tallboy 29er most of the time.....but have my Heckler for the days that I want to play around a little more.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I like mine quite a bit. Sucks to hear I have no riding skills because I ride a bigger wheel though. Tough news to hear :(

·
Registered
498 Posts
Better w/Slicks?

My 97 DB w/slicks is my only bike. I don't ride anything technical, just roads and bike paths. I do love passing roadies.
All else being equal, would a 29 be any faster thana 26"? TIA

R

1 - 20 of 45 Posts