Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten a positive Effective Rim Diameter of the Light Bicycle 27mm hookless rims?

bead hook-less rims carbon 29er light bike rim tubeless compatible Light-Bicycle

I ordered a pair and want to start shopping for spokes. They say 592, but I know this can be off.

What number have people had success using?

I don't even know if I trust myself to get it withing 1mm using my tools and measuring methods, I would prefer to know what people have used on their builds.

Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Are you lacing the wheels up yourself? If so I recommend downloading Roger Musson's digital book:

Wheelbuilding book for building bicycle wheels

It has a detailed and easy method for measuring ERD. I've used it a few times and combine with the spoke calculator on his site, have always come up with the right lengths.

I just laced up a set of the LB hookless 27mm and the ERD was not close to their listed 592 on the pair that I received. I measured 3 spots on each, and came up with an ERD of 596.

-Gabe

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Looking at their drawings, they don't include the nipple heads in their ERD measurements, which should be included according to Sheldon brown. That would explain the "missing" 4mm.

I have these same rims on the way and am hoping to do a lace-over onto my sun ringle charger pros, which have an ERD of 596 according to Hayes...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looking at their drawings, they don't include the nipple heads in their ERD measurements, which should be included according to Sheldon brown. That would explain the "missing" 4mm.
Just got my pair yesterday and crudely measured without spokes or nipples (used a shift cable stretched through opposing spoke holes and marked with tape to measure both ID and nipple bed thickness) and came up with ~593, which is close to the drawing and quoted 592. It makes sense that adding a couple mm's to account for the nipple heads would explain the difference. I was planning to use 595, which seems to be a general consensus.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
15,699 Posts
Just got my pair yesterday and crudely measured without spokes or nipples (used a shift cable stretched through opposing spoke holes and marked with tape to measure both ID and nipple bed thickness) and came up with ~593, which is close to the drawing and quoted 592. It makes sense that adding a couple mm's to account for the nipple heads would explain the difference. I was planning to use 595, which seems to be a general consensus.

592 would definitely not work, but I like your ingenuity in getting the measurement.

Built 2 more today. 595.5 seems to be the sweet spot.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
592 would definitely not work, but I like your ingenuity in getting the measurement.

Built 2 more today. 595.5 seems to be the sweet spot.
Mike what's your opinion on the quality of the LB rims ?
I got mine awhile back.
I think they look awesome but I have no where near the experience you have with rims.
Still waiting to get mine built so I can ride them.

·
15,699 Posts
Mike what's your opinion on the quality of the LB rims ?
I'm really impressed with the build quality of the rims. Equally impressed with how well they balance out tension-wise.

Kinda perplexed on the tubeless thing. They take air and the beads seat as easily as any rims out there, Stans included.

* BUT *

I'm running tubeless-ready tires--Bontrager up front, Maxxis out back. I can ride for ~2 hours with no (or very little) air loss. Get home, park the bike, come out in the AM and both tires are 100% flat. Pump them up again, go ride, same result--fine on the ride, flat the next AM.

Running sealant, of course.

I've sprayed the rims/tires with soapy water and I get *zero* bubbles, anywhere. No indication of leakage. But they are emphatically leaking.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
I'm really impressed with the build quality of the rims. Equally impressed with how well they balance out tension-wise.

Kinda perplexed on the tubeless thing. They take air and the beads seat as easily as any rims out there, Stans included.

* BUT *

I'm running tubeless-ready tires--Bontrager up front, Maxxis out back. I can ride for ~2 hours with no (or very little) air loss. Get home, park the bike, come out in the AM and both tires are 100% flat. Pump them up again, go ride, same result--fine on the ride, flat the next AM.

Running sealant, of course.

I've sprayed the rims/tires with soapy water and I get *zero* bubbles, anywhere. No indication of leakage. But they are emphatically leaking.
Thank you Mike.
Are you using Stans tape or Rim strips ? and what valves ?
That's interesting can't wait to get mine built and see if they do the same.
I haven't heard of anyone having this issue I hope you figure it out.
I check the air in my tires before every ride and normally have to add a few pounds so this isn't the end of the world for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Subscribed.

@Mikesee - What layup is coming in at the sweetspot 595.5 erd? Standard or HD? I'm wondering if the added material in the HD layup ends up in the spoke bed.

Thanks for all the info. I just ordered a set of these in the HD layup. I'm really looking forward to getting back on some carbon rims. The aluminum noodles (DT XR400) that came on my new bike have proven that the carbon rims of my last bike spoiled me rotten.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine were the HD (~400g) version, and seemed to have measurements similar to the standard version.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Ted. I'd love to order the rest of the build now. I wasn't even going to contemplate the spokes until I saw this thread. Good to see the positive feedback on these rims so far. I guess i'll wrestle with the tubeless staying inflated overnight too (unless someone tackles that too).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Mikesee. I'll probably still just wait and measure in hand like I should. You never really know, especially with a handmade product like these rims.

Strange you're having the deflation issue. Please chime in if you find the culprit. Your obvious experience is priceless. Stunning pictures on your blog - BTW.

·
15,699 Posts
Strange you're having the deflation issue. Please chime in if you find the culprit.
Dunno what the culprit was. Fixed itself. Just rode it 3 or 4 times, adding air before and letting it hang overnight. Stopped leaking down after the 3rd ride.

·
15,699 Posts
Thank you Mike.
Are you using Stans tape or Rim strips ? and what valves ?
That's interesting can't wait to get mine built and see if they do the same.
I haven't heard of anyone having this issue I hope you figure it out.
I check the air in my tires before every ride and normally have to add a few pounds so this isn't the end of the world for me.
I used skinny yellow tape with WTB alu valves.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks to everyone, I just got my rims and the ERD appears to be right at the 595ish area as well. I got 1 rim in regular and 1 in HD and they appear to have the same ERD.

I'm using King hubs and have a question regarding the DT spoke calculator. When using the DT spoke calculator they refer to the "Pitch Circle Diameter". Is this the same as the 57.40 "Flange Diameter" that's on the hub spec portion of the King site? I've done a couple of google searches and can't seem to get a clear answer. BTW, the DT calculator is showing me 287 & 288 spokes using 3X and 12MM nips. Does that sound right for the experts in here?

·
Registered
160 Posts
My rims showed up today, 4days shy of a month after placing my order with Light Bicycle. Not bad. I now have two of the "HD" versions of this rim. They are both measuring a very consistent 596 ERD. I measured in multiple points with Roger Musson's method with the spokes at the bottom of the slot in the nipple.

Thanks to everyone who contributed here. I couldn't stand waiting and rolled the dice on picking up the spokes. Can't wait to lace these up!

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
They are both measuring a very consistent 596 ERD. I measured in multiple points with Roger Musson's method with the spokes at the bottom of the slot in the nipple
Ditto this AM. Standard XC 27/22mm (OD/ID) measuring around 595. Good thing I didn't buy spokes off of the listed ERD!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts