Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has managed to get a dropper post to fit on an older Karate Monkey?
It looks like a new frame will be out of reach for the moment, so I was looking at the Brand-X/Tranz-X/One-Up style posts, in 27.2 x 105mm.
On the face of it though, it looks like I might just have enough standover, but wondered if the brace tube on a 2011+ KM might interfere with the cable guide/box/thingy.
If not, are they easy to add some sort of spacer to bring the height down on?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh I hadn't noticed that. I believe the PNW/BrandX/TranzX/One-Up are all basically the same post. Measuring up where my seat is at the moment, I'd probably have to raise it at least 30mm.
For clarity's sake, it's a 2011 KM, the one that still had canti bosses, but the dropped toptube and brace-tube. I don't think it'd be too difficult to open one up and add a reduction spacer in there.......

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ahh I hadn't noticed that. I believe the PNW/BrandX/TranzX/One-Up are all basically the same post. Measuring up where my seat is at the moment, I'd probably have to raise it at least 30mm.
For clarity's sake, it's a 2011 KM, the one that still had canti bosses, but the dropped toptube and brace-tube. I don't think it'd be too difficult to open one up and add a reduction spacer in there.......
So far I've been blown away with PNW customer service - they've been amazing. Plus 3 years warranty

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll bear that in mind. I actually ended up buying a KS ETen post yesterday. the deciding factor was that the actuator is at the top, rather than at the collar. I'm sure I'll have to make some alterations, but I'll post them up here for posterity.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'll bear that in mind. I actually ended up buying a KS ETen post yesterday. the deciding factor was that the actuator is at the top, rather than at the collar. I'm sure I'll have to make some alterations, but I'll post them up here for posterity.
Interesting - for me actuator at the collar makes for cleaner setup on frames without dropper routing plus no cable hanging from the saddle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh I think the Krampus might have had a bit more standover than the old KM. I got the KS and I couldn't really get it anywhere near where I needed it. I was expecting to have to do a little modification in perhaps making internal spacers to limit the stroke, but it would have ended up with about 50/60mm of stroke, which wasn't really worth it I thought.
It's a size L and I'm 6', so it may have worked better with the next on down.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ahh I think the Krampus might have had a bit more standover than the old KM. I got the KS and I couldn't really get it anywhere near where I needed it. I was expecting to have to do a little modification in perhaps making internal spacers to limit the stroke, but it would have ended up with about 50/60mm of stroke, which wasn't really worth it I thought.
It's a size L and I'm 6', so it may have worked better with the next on down.
My Krampus OG is Medium and I have ~2007-2008 KM in Medium. Krampus has about 23 cm of straight seat tube before the bend and KM is at around 19. I test fitted Krampus dropper in the KM and it was fine as well. The one I got is TranzX Remote Seatpost YSP19 390x27,2mm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.