Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of converting a cheapie bike with skis and hitting the slopes. I did a search and theres a few companies that make little skis with fork mounts on them. It looks simple enough to DIY with some old small skis from Goodwill or something.

Anyone try it before?

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
I did something like this in the early-90s. Goodwill skis hacked down and then mounted to a junk hub. It worked OK, nothing special. Of course back them you couldn't get huge 3.0+ tires which will float about as well as 2' long skis.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
emtnate said:
I have some 150 cm Dynastars in the closest you can have. Probably wouldn't be worth shipping them unless you live close to Fort Wayne and can pick them up.
Oh, nice. Thanks so much for offering those. If were close there I'd take those.

Hmm, 3" DH tires. Then I'd have brakes too...I guess. Dont know how well brakes would work on snow/ice.

This is just a thought, not sure if I'd actually take the time to do it though.

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
I have made a couple but do not have any pictures of the builds. You can use old skate board trucks mounted upside down on to the skis and then through the axle on the back of the bike. An old tube kept the ski tip up while still allowing movement. The front end of the bike needs to be higher so on the first quick build I just remounted the bindings on a shortened ski, stuck a 2x4 in a ski boot and then mounted the skate truck to that. It was very heavy. The second time I used shelf brackets with a truck. Always trying to use left over parts. Trial and error is part of the fun. Not sure any of them would be ski area worthy but they work great around the snowy roads here and the dog on a leassh added to that Iditarod feel. Have fun and post up pics on the passion page please.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This sounds good too. I'm trying to get a build done for a snow run tomorrow. So I'm thinking fast!

I'm thinking about using a fork mount for the front. I need something to hold up the front of the ski too, like you mentioned. Maybe some kind of spring or something.

A BMX bike would be perfect I think. Small, light for hauling back up the hill, easy to remove parts and not too many parts to remove (no derailleurs,shifters, only one brake), and higher bars than mtn bikes.

Now I need to find some old cheap skis.

Wish me luck on getting this done today!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.