Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AT $30 more than the SL model it may seem like a better fork given it's external floodgate control. In reality the RACE is identical to the SL. The only difference is that it has an extra $0.50 (fifty cents) cap that has an extended allen through it for adjusting floodgate. The SL model has the same cap, minus the hex bolt. I was able to easily cut down an allen wrench and custom make my own external knob and took about 20 minutes.

If money doesn't mean anything to you, then just get the RACE and save some time. I would personally put that extra $30 into getting a nice 20mm front hub.

Rumor has it that you can order the RACE cap for the SL. I wonder if they plan on charging $30 for it!?! There's no way in hell it costs more than $0.25 for them to make it.

The marketing gurus over at RS have once again fooled us. They don't tell you that the SL model is really the RACE without the same cap. Internal floodgate control sounds to me like MArzocchi's idea of internal adjustments (taking fork apart), but I think they were just trying to fool people into paying an extra $30 for a $0.25 piece.

BTW, the rebound knob comes off and acts as an adjuster for the floodgate on the SL model, so no extra tools required.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
BudhaGoodha said:
AT $30 more than the SL model it may seem like a better fork given it's external floodgate control. In reality the RACE is identical to the SL. The only difference is that it has an extra $0.50 (fifty cents) cap that has an extended allen through it for adjusting floodgate. The SL model has the same cap, minus the hex bolt. I was able to easily cut down an allen wrench and custom make my own external knob and took about 20 minutes.

If money doesn't mean anything to you, then just get the RACE and save some time. I would personally put that extra $30 into getting a nice 20mm front hub.

Rumor has it that you can order the RACE cap for the SL. I wonder if they plan on charging $30 for it!?! There's no way in hell it costs more than $0.25 for them to make it.

The marketing gurus over at RS have once again fooled us. They don't tell you that the SL model is really the RACE without the same cap. Internal floodgate control sounds to me like MArzocchi's idea of internal adjustments (taking fork apart), but I think they were just trying to fool people into paying an extra $30 for a $0.25 piece.

BTW, the rebound knob comes off and acts as an adjuster for the floodgate on the SL model, so no extra tools required.
It probably does cost .25c to make, but they will most likely charge $30 or even slightly more for the part. Marzocchi does the same thing with their dropoff/Jr T models compared to the normal Z1/Super T models. You can get the Jr T for around $500, and it's the exact same chassi as the Super T, but if you want to upgrade it with a HSCV cartridge to in effect make it a Super T, it costs just about the exact price difference between the forks, so in the end you definitely don't save any money. Usually one finds out that the fork-makers have "done their homework" in this respect. They usually close any loopholes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pike Mod

BudhaGoodha said:

Any chance of seeing a pic of your modification?

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Jm. said:
It probably does cost .25c to make, but they will most likely charge $30 or even slightly more for the part. Marzocchi does the same thing with their dropoff/Jr T models compared to the normal Z1/Super T models. You can get the Jr T for around $500, and it's the exact same chassi as the Super T, but if you want to upgrade it with a HSCV cartridge to in effect make it a Super T, it costs just about the exact price difference between the forks, so in the end you definitely don't save any money. Usually one finds out that the fork-makers have "done their homework" in this respect. They usually close any loopholes.
Is it just me or is this BuddhaGuddha guy pushing RockShox a little bit hard on these boards? Anyone care to do an I.P. check?

-TS

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not Quite

BudhaGoodha said:

The Race actually has a wider floodgate adjustment range than the SL. So there is a little bit more of a diiference.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
TheSherpa said:
Is it just me or is this BuddhaGuddha guy pushing RockShox a little bit hard on these boards? Anyone care to do an I.P. check?
Two weeks ago he seemed pleasantly and harmlessly clueless. Now he is Dr. RS.

BudhaGoodha (two weeks ago) said:
Of course [Rockshox] don't have any forks that compare to a Zoke.
Now a week into Pike ownership he can't stand Zokes anymore. I'm all for being excited about new toys, but give it 6 months to recognize the warts at least . I thought being fickle and changing one's mind was a chick's prerogative. :rolleyes:

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
it's to stabilize the universe...

tscheezy said:
Two weeks ago he seemed pleasantly and harmlessly clueless. Now he is Dr. RS.

Now a week into Pike ownership he can't stand Zokes anymore. I'm all for being excited about new toys, but give it 6 months to recognize the warts at least . I thought being fickle and changing one's mind was a chick's prerogative. :rolleyes:

I think the board needs some overly enthusiastic some-shock-company-other-than-marzocchi fans to balance things out. Or maybe we just need a couple companies to step it up and actively challenge the big Italian M. If it creates some zealots, so be it. I'd like to see RS be a legitimate force in the mtb world again, kinda like how I enjoy seeing GM put out some cars that rival BMW. Think of it this way: RS is now part of the anti Shimano movement... ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
While I wouldn't say its the best ever, I am impressed with the feel of the Pike. I like it far better than the Minute it replaced. Its been a while since I used the Marathon I had so tough to directly compare, but the Marzocchi wasn't all that in my opinion anyway...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I'm not knocking RS. That was all I rode between '91 and 2001, the Reba was the best air fork I tried at Interbike, and I think it is a good thing to get some info out on new products for people to base buying decisions on. I'm toying with getting a Pike myself. I guess what makes me roll my eyes a little was the profoundly newbie flavor of BG's barrage of questions until recently, and now... ?

I don't mean any disrespect, I just think it's a bit funny.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,923 Posts
tscheezy said:
Now he is Dr. RS.
He's certainly done more research than any one else on this forum, looks like angryasian has supplied some of his info. I appreciated his breakdown of the workings of the pike, as I said before, the main reasons I got it were, cheap, available, and met my criteria for matching my geometry and intended use.

I'd also mentioned that it is very hard to compare the '05 forks in this class based on all the different A2C's, axles, internals and adjustments, price, availibility, etc. There just isn't much overlap between the pike, Z1, AM1, nixon, fox 36.

I remain content with the Pike, but I do intend to try the Marz. Z1 FR2 (130mm) when it becomes available.

Budha and Jm.
what a combo.
:rolleyes:
:p

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Totally - I think this Budha guy is a mole... I bet he works for either Rockshox or the Homeland Security Administration. Don't be fooled by the misinformation!!

-rob in NY

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rpet said:
Totally - I think this Budha guy is a mole... I bet he works for either Rockshox or the Homeland Security Administration. Don't be fooled by the misinformation!!

-rob in NY
haha! You guys are a riot!

If you actually read my posts, you will see that I constantly state my position.

"I hate rockshox, but the new PIKE is something to look at"

That's pretty much my consensus. I've said time and time again, Marzocchi makes better forks, there's no argueing that! I wanted to point out that the PIKE has performance options that Marzocchi doesn't have.

If any of you chums road the PIKE, you would agree, it performs better than any RS product ever made. I have no problem with people saying Marzocchi makes higher quality forks. I do have a problem with people saying Marzocchi is flawless and can't be touched! The new PIKE offers adjustments that you can't find on ANY 95-140 MM Marz fork, even the AM-1.

PLus, if I worked for RS, why would I be telling people to buy the less profitable model? Some of you guys could use some serious lessons in LOGIC!

YES, it is true, Angry Asian talked with me about some of the details. I emailed him about his source of info and he stated he had contacted the guys who designed the fork.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here's what some of you wanted:

It costs around $0.10 if you already have a 2.5mm hex wrench. All you need is to cut it and put a rubber ring on it!

Here's what to do:

Take your 2.5mm hex wrench (I'm pretty sure that's the size) and measure how far down it goes into the floodgate hole. Cut the wrench so that the -L- section is right above the compression knob, any higher and it might hit your frame or get moved by a branch easier. I have exactly .2mm of clearance forr my frame, so it's tight for sure.

Next you need to cut the -L- section shorter so it doesn't get in the way of the comrpession knob. It doesn't need to be very long, so get it as short as you can without making it too harsh on your fingures.

After getting the size right, take your bike into the hardware store (or just the fork) and find a rubber ring that fits the hex wrench and fits snuggly into the floodgate hole. The rubber ring is important in keeping the hex from falling out, keeps dirt out, and helps keep the floodgate setting with less chance of it moving on its own.

The HEX wrench should cost $2-5 in a set. I don't know if they sell them individually. The rubber ring should cost less than a quarter.

There you go! A $30 part for $0.25!

BTW, the RACE model does allow for more turns in floodgate, but the difference between wide open and closed is the same as the SL. The range of adjustment is the same, the SL just takes less turns to change, that's all.

Edit: you can try wrapping electrical tape around the HEX too instead of a rubber ring. That's what I did until I got a proper rubber ring.

I found that I use the floodgate a lot! It's a great adjustment for people who ride trails to their jumps! Closing down the floodgate is a must do on this fork if you do any good sized jumps, otherwise the damping just let's oil flow without much regulation.

Attachments

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
So is the floodgate the rebound adjustment? No info on it on the RS site.

·
Registered
606 Posts
drum714 said:
So is the floodgate the rebound adjustment? No info on it on the RS site.
the rebound knob is at the bottom of the fork. It pops out and is a hex wrench. The knob can be then used to agjust the floodgate. The floogate is inside a hole at the top that requires a hex. It's more for emergency use if anything. Just use a normal hex unless you want to make a custom knob.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Micro, if you don't have anything useful to add, stfu. What you are doing is against posting policy, which I suggest you read. Here are the highlights as they relate to your behavior:

Gregg Kato said:
Threads that keep getting "bumped" back to the top with "hey, bumping this post back up" type posts will be locked. If you do not have anything new/informative to add to the post, please do not attempt to "bump" a thread just to keep it at the top.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts