Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know when the FSR patent is set to expire? It'd be nice to have more choices in bikes like they have in Europe.

·
Registered
540 Posts
With how stingy Specialized has historically been regarding the Horst Link, I doubt they'd ever just let it run out. I'd say its sure bet that whenever that date gets near, they will submit for a new patent or a renewal of the old one or whatever.

·
Super Moderator
20,807 Posts
US Patent 5509679 - Rear suspension for bicycles
US Patent Issued on April 23, 1996

US Patent 5678837 - Rear suspension for bicycles
US Patent Issued on October 21, 1997

·
dog lover-not in that way
269 Posts
The first patent was filed 9/9/94, the second one was filed 4/16/96.

http://www.uspto.gov/main/faq/p120013.htm

For applications filed on or after June 8, 1995, utility and plant patents are granted for a term which begins with the date of the grant and usually ends 20 years from the date you first applied for the patent subject to the payment of appropriate maintenance fees. Design patents last 14 years from the date you are granted the patent. Note: Patents in force on June 8 and patents issued thereafter on applications filed prior to June 8, 1995 automatically have a term that is the greater of the twenty year term discussed above or seventeen years from the patent grant.
So the first patent is good for 20 years (expires 2016), the second is good for 14 years (expires 2011).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Can they renew that patent then before it expires or will it be an open playing field then?..........that would be the end of spec as we know it surely..........?

·
Super Moderator
20,807 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Dude, instant satisfaction. I could have pulled the same on you and called you out for not posting a link for us ;)

Heading out to some new trails now!
HAHAHA

well.. I did post the numbers and dates about a minute later ;)

enjoy the ride...it is raining here right now :(

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
G4VNJ said:
Can they renew that patent then before it expires or will it be an open playing field then?..........that would be the end of spec as we know it surely..........?
What? The reason spec is so dominant isn't because of FSR, its because they engineer the fyck out of their bikes for a great blend of weight, geometry, and wheel path/shock rates that makes their bikes ride really, really, well. FSR isn't inherently better then plenty of other designs out there - specialized just designs their bikes really well to make it ride well. All it does is reduce brake squat and make the bike more flexy, and specialized has managed to minimize the second.

I'm far from specialized biggest proponent, but even in canada and europe, specialized is enormous, even when other companies are using FSR (norco, nicolai, devinci, and oodles of others). They make great bikes and have incredible support for them. I love nitpicking specialized and making fun of them for their patent and sue happy policies (but honestly I'd do the same thing in their place) and I'm not particularly fond of the way their bikes ride in general because I like different characteristics in my suspension, but they meet a great deal of peoples needs really, really well.

Specialized will stick around once their patent runs out. I doubt they'll even loose any market share.

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
They have renewed it before. They will do it again. They have one of the top 3 best suspension systems ever created. And its exclusive to them. They arent about to let it go.

·
Registered
919 Posts
This will sound a little ignorant, but what exactly makes the "FSR suspension" the FSR suspension?

I love my spec, but I'm not exactly sure what is the unique part of their linkage is (opposed to other brands like Trek).

·
Registered
239 Posts
SurfSailRide said:
They will sound a little ignorant, but what exactly makes the "FSR suspension" the FSR suspension?

I love my spec, but I'm not exactly sure what is the unique part of their linkage is (opposed to other brands like Trek).
It's mainly the location of the rear pivot for four bar suspensions. The FSR (Horst Link) suspension has the rear pivot on the chain stay, in front of the rear axle. Other brands will try to get around this by having the pivot above the rear axle on the seat stay but it doesn't work as well. Trek's current suspension (ABP) has the pivot concentric with the axle. Then there are other designs such as Giant's Maestro which is VPP. It has the entire rear triangle rotating around a vitual pivot point, hence the name. There are a lot more details in the designs but I'm not a huge expert.

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's kinda of stupid of the U.S. patent office to grant a patent to a pivot point.... It's a friggin pivot point for god sake! Where's the engineering? Just because they can describe what it does doesn't make it an invention.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts