Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Call Ibex

Go straight to Jack or one of his staff. This is the quickest, most direct, and accurate way to get an answer to your question. Please let us know what you find out.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the reply I received:

We'll have full final specs in a few days and will begin taking advance orders at that time for shipping.* Bikes will be ready to ship in about 2 to 3 weeks.
Essentially the drivetrain will be the same except for going to a Shimano M440 crankset (instead of TruVativ on the standard model).* Fork will be Manitou Axel Super w/ lockout... brakes are Tektro Io discs... wheelset is Sun Rhyno Lite on XT hubs.* Cockpit items will be a little different from standard 650, too.* But the price should remain the same ($599).

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Thanks for the Up-date...

jschen said:
Here's the reply I received:

We'll have full final specs in a few days and will begin taking advance orders at that time for shipping.* Bikes will be ready to ship in about 2 to 3 weeks.
Essentially the drivetrain will be the same except for going to a Shimano M440 crankset (instead of TruVativ on the standard model).* Fork will be Manitou Axel Super w/ lockout... brakes are Tektro Io discs... wheelset is Sun Rhyno Lite on XT hubs.* Cockpit items will be a little different from standard 650, too.* But the price should remain the same ($599).
Sound like a couple up-grades:thumbsup: But the Tektro Io discs are a bit questionable:nono: But I guess thats a personal thing..:lol:

Jakr Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker: :prft::ciappa: :lol:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Not bad

Upgraded fork and wheelset. I'm a bit disappointed in the brake selection, but Jack seems to believe in the Tektros. Not sure how the cranksets compare. Still a very good bike at this price.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just as I'm planning to head down to Atlanta for a trip sometime in the next month and am thinking of picking up an Ibex from the warehouse.

650 Special Edition or Ignition 2-sigh. Too many choices. Will have to ponder it as I recover from a badly sprained ankle. :(

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Upgraded fork and wheelset. I'm a bit disappointed in the brake selection, but Jack seems to believe in the Tektros. Not sure how the cranksets compare. Still a very good bike at this price. Bob
Basicly the M440 is the little brother to the Deore M510 square taper interface of days gone by..The name Shimano on the crank should draw more attention then the TV's of the 1st bounch of 650's..
Heres a link so as to see what they look like: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=6767&category=380

I still have to scratch my head on replaceing the BB-5's with Tektro's..:eek:ut:

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here..:ihih: :yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker: :prft::ciappa: :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pay Here said:
Basicly the M440 is the little brother to the Deore M510 square taper interface of days gone by..The name Shimano on the crank should draw more attention then the TV's of the 1st bounch of 650's..
Heres a link so as to see what they look like: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=6767&category=380

I still have to scratch my head on replaceing the BB-5's with Tektro's..:eek:ut:

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here..:ihih: :yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker: :prft::ciappa: :lol:
Well if they upgrade one thing they have to downgrade another to keep it at the same cost...at least that's what I think. Shouldn't be a bad upgrade if you don't like the Tektros. Hope the other specs are good!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
OxInYourBox said:
Just as I'm planning to head down to Atlanta for a trip sometime in the next month and am thinking of picking up an Ibex from the warehouse.

650 Special Edition or Ignition 2-sigh. Too many choices. Will have to ponder it as I recover from a badly sprained ankle. :(
Give IBEX a call or e-mail..Iam not for sure, but I dont believe they do drop-in sales..:D

Good luck, buy IBEX..:thumbsup:

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih: :yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker: :prft::ciappa: :lol:

............................:rant: ....RIDE..B:yikes: ..................................

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth, I can also tell you that they will only be in 17, 19 and 20" frames.

They also will not have any more 650's in until November.

They told me this when I asked about upgrading my 550 to the 650.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pay Here said:
Give IBEX a call or e-mail..Iam not for sure, but I dont believe they do drop-in sales..:D

Good luck, buy IBEX..:thumbsup:

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih: :yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker: :prft::ciappa: :lol:

............................:rant: ....RIDE..B:yikes: ..................................
Warehouse pickup although it's probably just as easy to ship it as $35 is a great deal.

Just gotta decide quickly. I hate having sometimes expensive hobbies (reef tanks are the other obession)...

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Almost there!

July 25th, 2006

Hi All,

Just to clarify... we are now taking orders on the 2006 Alpine 650 SE, as well as the Trophy Comp SE and Asta Pro SE. These Special Edition models are being assembled here in the USA and our completion date is estimated for August 10th, though we may be able to start shipping some of them a little earlier.

Sales of upper-end MTB's have been extremely strong for IBEX this year and we find ourselves pretty much wiped out of most models. So, we are building these few 2006 SE models using the existing 2006 frames we have on-hand. That means quantities are very limited. It also means that specs on the SE's are a little different than the standard models they supplant simply based on components we have on-hand and what we can get hold of domestically.

Going forward, we're going to have some early 2007 Trophy and Asta models based on SRAM drivetrains that should be ready sometime in October. Once those are finalized (and likely after the 2006 SE's are all spoken-for) we'll announce specs on them and begin taking pre-orders. I do know this much already... the 2007 models involved will be a Trophy Comp SE and Asta Comp SE, both based on SRAM X7 drivetrains and an Asta Expert SE with X9. We still intend to produce comparable Shimano based 2007 models in these lines too, but those won't be available until after the New Year. Due to lead times on parts at the OE factory level, we just can't get all the 2007's out as early as we'd have liked.

It's also worth noting that the Asta frame geometry is being revised for 2007. The changes are particularly significant on the largest frame size... the 16" and 18" sizes will see minor changes and the 20" will get major revisions to the geometry. This does not apply to the 2006 Asta Pro SE's, so larger riders at the upper end of the fit range for the 20" especially are recommended to wait for 2007. Rear travel on the 2007 Asta moves up to a full 4" of rear travel (a little over 100mm up from 90mm on the 2006's). Our Trophy series will get an all new frame for 2007. While we've been very successful with the current Trophy frame, we felt it was time for an update. The new frame will apply to all 2007 Trophy models including the Fall batch of SRAM bikes, but not the 2006 SE's for August delivery which will have 2006 frames (same frame and color on the '06 Trophy Comp SE as on the 2006 Trophy Pro).

Best regards,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wish I would have held out a little longer. I got the last 650 (I think) its a bit heavy seems heavyer than the listed 28lbs wich I would have gotten a thropy. Is good that you are using different wheels I am not happy with the older style so a smart move there.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Sounds like Jack's got his hands full..

Looks like IBEX is really taking off..I've been reading their web site from the start, and 06' looks like they've gone major league..The early 07's sound like an awesome change is in the works..Bring on the SRAM :ihih: :yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.