Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm trying to find out what type of plastic clip this is for my Avid Elixir R's, as when rebuilding the lever, that weak-as-hell plastic clip is the thing that ALWAYS breaks, having a couple hundred replacements would be nice,

anyone know the type of clip it is or where to find some, like aliexpress and such?

here's a photo

It's the clip on the bottom left.

· EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,333 Posts
it's a proprietary clip, methinks you aren't going to source one alone unless someone has parts laying around.

the internals kit is sold an integrated unit.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Makes it very infuriating to service my levers, $50 per lever rebuild kit, when the clips are probably worth 5 cents.
Add me into the group that likes to rebuild old brakes. I've actually never had a single issue with a rebuilt Avid brake, most recently some 2007 Code's. I would see if you can find a local machine shop that would replicate the clip you want, take them a brand new one and see if they could match it?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm definitely gonna hit up high-end shimanos for my next brakes on my bike, however my avid's are still going strong, only thing is my rear lever's circlip snapped off, so i super-glued the **** out of it and it seems stable, wonder how long that'll last, lmao

One thing i've learnt, shimano just seems better in every single way, avid's are a total pain to get right with clearance, and the quality is "questionable" to say the least, shimano all the way for my next brakes!

· Registered
1,310 Posts
I'm definitely gonna hit up high-end shimanos for my next brakes on my bike, however my avid's are still going strong, only thing is my rear lever's circlip snapped off, so i super-glued the **** out of it and it seems stable, wonder how long that'll last, lmao

One thing i've learnt, shimano just seems better in every single way, avid's are a total pain to get right with clearance, and the quality is "questionable" to say the least, shimano all the way for my next brakes!
Can you hack something with a metal circlip that "sorta fits"? Most hardware stores and big box home stores will have a drawer full of circlip sizes.

· Registered
2,098 Posts

You might want to spend the $ and get Hope brakes, or something you can rebuild. You won't even get as far as you did with Shimano. You fix them buy replacing them.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.