Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kona Kula Deluxe vs. the Kona Kula Supreme? Looking into one of these bikes and would like to know if it is worth spending the 4k for the supreme if i can get the deluxe down to the same weight without spending the $$. Please advise.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I looked at both of these bikes but never actually priced them with my local store. It says on the site they sell for $2500 and $6000. Is that how much you'll actually pay for these bikes? I think the Rocky Mountain Vertex 70 is a better deal at $4000 or maybe buy the Kona frame and build it up yourself.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
In looking at the component differences, the big question is "do you want the parts spec on the Supreme?" because you likely couldn't go out and buy all those same components retail for the difference between them. But that only matters if you actually want those exact components. It would like cost you at least $2500 to do a similar level of upgrade with some different components.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I dont want the exact parts spec but would upgrade the wheelset and probably a few other things but i dont think my upgrades would total the difference between the 2 bikes. I am just curious to see how much of a weight difference it is going to be. On another note how does riding on Scandium compare to riding on Steel? Much of a difference is ride is the scandium harsher?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I have a scandium cyclocross bike and I love it. Feels way better than my steel road and mtn.bikes. I bought a Salsa scandium/carbon Moto Rapido but haven't built it up yet. That bike will feel awesome when it's done.
I know Rockyuphill loved his scandium Vertex but he likes the new carbon Rocky even more.

·
At Work
1,852 Posts
I have a Ku that is similar, Buildup came in around 25 lbs but I have heavier parts on it. The ride is stiff, but not harsh. Need to start riding it more. Always grab the FS instead.

·
Registered
105 Posts
2008 models were 23 and 20lbs respectively.

If I were you I'd go for the cheaper of the two, and upgrade with the spare money to make a far lighter bike. I wanted a 2008 supreme frame, but by the time it came to ordering it from the rep, they had sold out on my size. Ended up getting the whole deluxe bike for not much more money. All the parts went on the GFs bike, and all the stuff from my previous (2005 scandium) went on the Deluxe frame.

Lovely bike, pics here... http://flickr.com/photos/douglasfshearer/sets/72157604743045799/

No idea on weight, 19lbs or so, I'm not anal enough to think it worth weighing it.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
limba said:
I know Rockyuphill loved his scandium Vertex but he likes the new carbon Rocky even more.
Yep it is true, the scandium frame Vertex Team was like riding a stiff cloud compared to my Easton Ultralite Vertex, and the new carbon Vertex is even more comfy and stiffer. If you're not having to ride a Kona because of sponsorship, I'd lean towards looking at the Vertex 70 or 50 carbon as well, they are going to be a really good bargain for an upgradable race ready bike. The carbon frames only weigh 1300gms in a Large.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I am currently racing on a jamis dragon that rides very nice for an HT but the cost of lowering its weight got me thinking on another bike instead. If what Dougal says is true 23lbs is not bad considering it is only going to cost around 2k for the bike, say I throw on some SLR's or some American Classics on it, the weight will drop and should still only cost me around 2700 complete.

I like the Rocky's but the carbon scares me.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
jgarcia0816 said:
No I dont want the exact parts spec but would upgrade the wheelset and probably a few other things but i dont think my upgrades would total the difference between the 2 bikes. I am just curious to see how much of a weight difference it is going to be. On another note how does riding on Scandium compare to riding on Steel? Much of a difference is ride is the scandium harsher?
Go and ask your dealer/local bike store for a price on the frame only for the surpeme version. You can buy Kona's as frame only. Then you can piece together the spec list to your heart's desire. Buying a new bike only to upgrade all the parts over is not cheaper but more expensive. With people flooding ebay with new parts (seems to be a lot of bicycle stores with lots of inventories, or the guys from hong kong ebay with stupid cheap XTR parts), now is a very good time to be piecing together a build.

Examples of good places to buy XTR or high end parts
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/
http://www.probikekit.com/
The USD versus the British Pound is stellar right now.
Ebay (look for ebay sellers from Taiwan or Hong Kong).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.