Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1998 or 1999 18inch Stumpjumper M2 that has served me well and weighs 22lbs, but I've been itching for carbon. I'm trying to rationalize buying a new frame, but don't want to tear down my bike to weigh the current frame.

The only weight I've found online is Nino's wife's bike, but that is a very small frame.

So, has anyone weighed a Stumpjumper M2 or S-Works from this year range?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I think I remember now, Specialized only made odd sizes, so mine is a 19in. With many good frames available under 3lbs. now, I think the Stumpy will become a city bike.

I do remember reading that the beatiful paint weighs >100g, so maybe I'll strip frame and check. Bare aluminum may be a little less attractive to thieves.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
M2s weren't aluminium. They were a Metal Matrix Compound of aluminium alloy and a ceramic particle (can't remember which it was, but there are several that have been used for MMC bike frames, boron carbide was used on Univega's Boralyn frames). You might wanna ask specialized which MMC they used and then look up the data chart for it on matweb.com to see if they list its corrosion properties/resistances.

Brushed finish or Polished alloy frames were all the rage in the late 80s/early 90s, but as the two common Al alloy series actually tolerate the most common corrosive that most vehicles see differently (which is salt, either from the air from living near the ocean, or on roads from living in areas where they use rock salt in the winter) and also for aesthetic reasons, most brands switched to painted frames (and now they're only seen on department store bikes because its cheap, or on super boutique models because of the weight savings). But even in the heyday of bare frames, the M2 Stumpjumpers were ALWAYS painted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.