Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Living the Dream
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Z1 light RC2 cartidge. Looking to make a frakenfork out of my Am1 and change to the RC2 cartidge--Ya I know I should have gotten a z1 light to start with. If prices for the lowers & cart are to hight I'll probably just run this fork till prices drop on the z1 light. Any info/help is greatly appreciated.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,877 Posts
The lowers should be around 120-140 retail.

The damping cart will be a little bit more expensive than the years past, so possibly like $150 or even a bit more. This is due to the new features of the RC2 cartridge.

That said, the RC2 cartridge was not available seperately as of a few weeks ago. They don't have any in yet, and they said they did not know when they'd have it in.

I bought a Z150 cartridge for my AM1 recently. This made a big improvement on square and sharp-edged bumps IMO. This cost around 100-130 bucks.

I employee-purchase most of this stuff, so my prices are different, I've adjusted the prices to what they should approximatly be.

·
Living the Dream
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My issue is brake dive

I am happy with my plushness it's just that it seems like I need to run 45-50 psi in 130mm mode and 40-45 psi in 150mm to keep the from dive. I also don't like it when I lift the fromt wheel off the ground to wheelie or for a drop/obstacle etc and the fork has a sharp jerk feel as it unloads/fully extends. I tend to run my rebound fast so i know this contributes. I'll probabply get the RC2 cart when it comes available for the extra tuneability. I'm suprised you switched as I thought you really liked TST.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Alpenglow said:
I also don't like it when I lift the fromt wheel off the ground to wheelie or for a drop/obstacle etc and the fork has a sharp jerk feel as it unloads/fully extends..
..the 06 Z1 light still exhibits this trait. I don't really like it either, but at least it's at the top of the stroke. It seems like the travel adjust forks had/ have this issue. Almost like there is a dead spot in the rebound near the top of the stroke.

·
Living the Dream
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if there is a term for this?

My Reba doesn't do it all--no matter how plush I set it. I might be leaning towards a Pike if I don't figure out how to get rid of it or used to it.

jncarpenter said:
..the 06 Z1 light still exhibits this trait. I don't really like it either, but at least it's at the top of the stroke. It seems like the travel adjust forks had/ have this issue. Almost like there is a dead spot in the rebound near the top of the stroke.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,877 Posts
Alpenglow said:
I am happy with my plushness it's just that it seems like I need to run 45-50 psi in 130mm mode and 40-45 psi in 150mm to keep the from dive. I also don't like it when I lift the fromt wheel off the ground to wheelie or for a drop/obstacle etc and the fork has a sharp jerk feel as it unloads/fully extends. I tend to run my rebound fast so i know this contributes. I'll probabply get the RC2 cart when it comes available for the extra tuneability. I'm suprised you switched as I thought you really liked TST.
TST was ok, but I never used any of the settings except DS. I like to tinker and try out stuff anyhow.

IMO, you'll never get a real plush feel from a fork that resists brake dive, unless it's some sort of linkage driven fork or fox "inertia valve" type system, but even those seem to have limitations.

The reason is that what resists diving is low speed compression damping.

What makes a fork plush on lots of impacts and ripples is very little compression damping.

These are opposites and after riding all of the different kinds of forks and suspension designs and shocks that I have, I have come to understand that these two things are opposites. You're going to have a compramise, either more brake dive, or a harsher ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.