Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am breaking the arms where the pedals thread in. Aluminum is the case no doubt, plus my phatass. Does anyone have any recommendations.

One option that I purchased was a BMX 3 piece, 19mm, 8 spline, 25T with cups and bearings for euro.... total cost at bike shop was $200cdn. But I want to use gears.

Which DH cranks are steel?
Willing to go the new fancy setup cranks, 2 piece etc.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Shimano Zee cranks are very stout, I would be impressed if you could break them. They are also reasonably priced. Steel spindle, with a longer splined section than the trail and XC Shimano cranks, with thick aluminum arms and they have steel inserts for the pedal threads.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations.
Thread in your pedals to the correct torque. Which is tight AF. Unless you are 400lbs dropping to flat all day, every day then a pedal socket is very stout.

The last crankset from Shimano which had both steel pedal inserts and possibility to run gears ( or a granny, to be exact ) were Saint M810 which have been discontinued 8 years ago. I gather its the same story for all other manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been through several cranks now. The last crank, I tightened tight AF and put blue loctite on it, I do no dropping, no jumping. But the alum never holds it and the pedal begins to bend. I bought Sunlite triple steel crank, and will see how that goes. Returned the Euro BMX because it was too expensive locally. Ebay has one for $100 but I dont want single speed. Plan B will be steel vintage trips or road dubs. There is a website https://www.steel-vintage.com/parts/cranks/
Stronglight 100LX Crank Arms

170 mm length. Small 86 mm BCD. However they are Alum arms
Stronglight 5-arm crankset timeline
Model 100 - 86 mm BCD - having a smaller 86 mm BCD in common with the Stronglight models 99 and 80 allowed for consequently smaller inner chain rings apropos the mountain bike crowd. The anodized aluminium crank arms themselves were decidedly smooth and rounded with an imprinted logo and were made available in 167.5, 170 and 172.5 mm lengths. Although visually similar to its model 80 contemporary, the model 100 featured a laterally stepped crank arm profile producing an intentionally wider Q-Factor, similar to the model 103. Intended for use in mountain bike applications, the model 100 had an effective chain ring capacity of 28 to 54 teeth, and it can easily be configured as either a double or triple crankset.
Mavic 631 Starfish Cranks

unknown crank arm material
in my searches to find out, I found this, its probably a 48 spline axle, but look its a double chain ring. The picture lower down, shows its actually a triple. And most likely not a euro bb shell.
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-044/000.html

That is what I need, because the BMX crank arms are tubular steel, the ultimate in strength!

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Have you looked into cranks like profile or odyssey?
Maybe check a site like Universal that has a pretty comprehensive inventory. With that I think the Zee's are about as good as of a suggestion as any.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
With that I think the Zee's are about as good as of a suggestion as any.
When I suggested Zees I didn't think the desire for running a multi gear crank through enough, that does make it tougher. The Zees are sold as a single but will take two rings, with the obvious significant limitation of the 104mm BCD. I am running a set 1x with a 46t!! NW in the outside position. They do however have the bare undrilled bosses forged in for a 64mm ring, but you would have to get crafty to use them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.