Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know Mike Olsen? (Serious carnage content)

I non-cycling friend just told me about a serious crash/injury involving Mike Olsen, who lives near me, but who I do not know.

Here's how the story goes. I don't know how far removed from the truth this gets. He was riding supposedly in or near South Mountain and crashed while maneuvering to avoid hitting a rattler. He went off the trail into the rocks, taking a bad fall. Apparently, his injuries were such, including a broken leg, and with his position in the rocks, he was not able to move. His cell phone ended up about 8 feet away, where he could not reach it. He was alone. Some 3+ hours passed when an ATV rider who was lost came upon him. The ATV rider was unable to move him, so he rode up to the top of the nearest hill for phone reception and called 911. A helicopter recovered the injured rider and took him to a trauma center where he is today.

If he waited 3 hours before someone came by, and that person could get to his location on an ATV, I wonder where the heck this actually happened. It does not seem to be a great place to have been riding alone.

Hopefully the injuries will heal with no long term damage.

Anyone know Mike?

·
Registered
691 Posts
pedalAZ said:
He was riding supposedly in or near South Mountain and crashed while maneuvering to avoid hitting a rattler. He went off the trail into the rocks, taking a bad fall.
A good reminder that there is no particular good reason to swerve to avoid a rattler.

John W.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
papajohn said:
A good reminder that there is no particular good reason to swerve to avoid a rattler.

John W.
I ran over a rattler Sunday afternoon at McDowell Mountain Preserve. It was pissed off, but I did not swerve to miss him. I did'nt purposely hit it either.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Sound advice PJ.

papajohn said:

John W.
However easier said than done.

Even though I am comfortable in their presence, I still cannot avert myself of the instinctual primal fear reaction and gilrly boy gasping when I initially come across one while riding the trails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.