Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
whatever she says gueuze.
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this was my baby many years ago but with a family, blah, blah, it hasn't been ridden in about 5 years. I did break down the fork a couple of years ago to tune it so everything is pretty much smooth as can be. Everything is in great/perfect condition with some things being brand new (dropper post). Just want to see how much I can get for this because it's a joke when people sell their 1999 Mongoose for $5k. Main things:
1. '12 Ibis HDR Medium - currently with 26" setup but have links and extra rear shock for 27.5" setup. Rock Shox for 26" and Fox Float for 27.5"
2. Fox Float 130mm fork
3. Enve AM 26" wheels
4. DT swiss 240 hubs
5. Carbon pretty much everything else......SIXC handlebar, SIXC cranks.
6. LEV dropper post (brand new, never used).
7. XTR brakes, X9 shifter, XO derailleur.

Bike cost me an arm and leg when new with mostly top of the line parts. Obviously, it's older so I'm not expecting much but I'm sure with all the high end parts, it's worth something. Bike was used very little when I was riding, maybe 10-12 times/year for about 2 years, so it's in pristine condition. Thx.

Attachments

·
trailpimp
39 Posts
Probably wouldn't be worth selling. Around here you might get 1000, but there are not many folks looking for 26" stuff. Might be better off parting out on ebay.

Sure, you might see someone asking 5k for a 99 mongoose, but they aren't getting it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I recently sold my 2014 HDR (650b) for $2,500 here in Alaska. I upgraded several components on it (X01 Eagle drivetrain, Fox Transfer dropper, Zelvy carbon wheels). I kept the bike in excellent condition.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,580 Posts
You could get $1500ish for it, but it's going to be hard to sell for much more than that. I have a 2007 Blur XC carbon with similar specs and it's not worth selling. I would rather have it for the memory's and as a backup bike. Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'd keep it unless you really need the cash. Ive got a 2014 Kona 134 I put a small fortune in it and I'm not going to just give it away for $1500 so its a backup bike now. Have a friend flying in on the 15th and it works out as she has a bike to ride while here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What? A Kona and a 2007 Blur??? No comparison. This is a Ibis that appears to be in pristine condition. And you have the parts (minus the wheels) to bump it to 650b, right? The Procloset doesn't even list Ibis bikes. I ride with several people who are running 26" wheels. There are folks out there still ripping on those wheels. If you truly want to part ways with it, try to sell it. It's worth more that $1,500.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Procloset doesn't even list Ibis bikes.
You are daft.

Send them two pics of the bike and they'll make a cash offer within 24 hours. Then you know the wholesale value and can gauge local offers via CL or other venues and have a reasonable idea of what's fair. They move enough high end used gear for it to be a pretty solid index of the market.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
It's worth what someone pays

It's worth more that $1,500.
It's worth whatever the market says it's worth. If someone is willing to pay something for it, then that's what it's worth.

Items like high-end bikes etc tend not to hold their value over time. Sucks, but that's the truth of it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You are daft.

Send them two pics of the bike and they'll make a cash offer within 24 hours. Then you know the wholesale value and can gauge local offers via CL or other venues and have a reasonable idea of what's fair. They move enough high end used gear for it to be a pretty solid index of the market.
Wholesale lowball offer? The OP is right, the bike isn't worth $5,000. But it is worth more than $1,500. I just sold my HDR for $2,500. This bike is in as good, if not better condition and with everything for a 650b conversion except the wheels. Anyone who knows anything about Ibis bikes would tell him that. Wholesale quotes/offers are a waste of time. Bicyclebluebook would be a better place to start if looking for a baseline price. Ibis bikes hold their value well, especially ones which have been taken care of or lightly ridden.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's worth whatever the market says it's worth. If someone is willing to pay something for it, then that's what it's worth.

Items like high-end bikes etc tend not to hold their value over time. Sucks, but that's the truth of it.
I agree about high end used bike values. However, Ibis bikes aren't just high end. Ibis is a iconic boutique bike brand which tends to cater to a certain demographic because of the way they look, ride, company culture, etc. As a result, if a person is willing to take the time and be patient, then he/she can be rewarded with a sale that is higher than that of other comparable bike brands. That is all I was trying to convey to the OP.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I agree about high end used bike values. However, Ibis bikes aren't just high end. Ibis is a iconic boutique bike brand which tends to cater to a certain demographic because of the way they look, ride, company culture, etc. As a result, if a person is willing to take the time and be patient, then he/she can be rewarded with a sale that is higher than that of other comparable bike brands. That is all I was trying to convey to the OP.
While I'm an Ibis fan, that was a load of...... it's a 7 year old bike. He'd be lucky if he got $1500.

Alaska pricing isn't the lower 48 pricing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.