Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that there is a new "bargain" bike from Tony E and that it's licensed with Santa Cruz.. True? What's it called? Are there pics?

Am I on the short bus with this one....? Someone , anyone let me know pleeeeeese.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cats out of the bag...

All of our Active Dealers received an update tonight regarding this early 2005 release.
Check with your local Ellsworth shop for details. Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
'05 Dare

Is there any information on the '05 Dare?

I waited on the DHX shock and now there is now more larges til March :(

But now I'm getting to new '05 :D

The questions are:
Will the 135mm Hadley rear hub I have still fit?
Will the BB remain at 73mm, or will I need another set of Saint cranks?
Will the lower shock pivot bolt be turned around to make spring changing easier (the current one requires removal of RH crank and chain device)?
Will there be a REAL large (not just a small and a medium)?

Thanks for putting up with this barage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ellsworth Bicycles said:
All of our Active Dealers received an update tonight regarding this early 2005 release.
Check with your local Ellsworth shop for details. Cheers
Come on !
I called my dealer today, the guys dont know what I'm talking about.
Throw us a bone here...
A picture would be nice.
Some specs maybe...
ANYTHING ....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the one!

Yep, that's the bike I heard about. I thought it started with a "D" and resembled a Joker, or is it the 5" Joker just renamed? Hmmm... Good deal though, having a bike in the 5" realm for us single pivot guys. Good job "E"!!

Wonder what else is coming? I like the fact that the Moment is 6". But aren't we reliving the past building the same bikes that existed before? Wasn't the old Dare 6, then 7"? And it was a perfect bike. Yeah, it was flexy in the corners, but once you got used to the flex you could slide into corners and let it flow, it was bad ass.. The Dare then grew to 9", and it seems like there was a gap. Like Intense with the 5.5 and M3, a very large gap. Now we get the V8 soon. Ok, 5", 8" and 9". No 7"? Santa Cruz did the same when they killed the Heckler and had to reintroduce it when the Bullit grew too much. Now a V10 and they had to build the VP free. What's else does Ellsworth have up their sleeve next year? A 7" Moment? Already have the DHX...could work. And the ID is 5/5.75... If a 7" Moment (1.5) existed, I would trade in my Joker 7 now. Makes sense. 4, 5, 7, and 9 inch travel 4 bar bikes. Hmmmm...

·
wheeler
595 Posts
what does SantaCruz have to do with the above frame??? it's the same design as Ells' been using for years...ATLAS....

As to the "active" dealers being notified :confused: :confused: called both of them in TO and they know **** :rolleyes: :mad: :mad:

Personally I think this is the best place to let riders know about new releases ;) Delears are good too, but not always as helpful and knowledgable as you would like them to be :rolleyes:

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Col said:
Not sure if this is it or not but take a look at this link.

http://www.dirtworks.com.au/site/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=102

05 Ellsworth Distance.
What's the point of adding 30 mm of rear end travel and changing the name of the Isis? Maybe new geometry? When will the maddness end? I think this just plays to the market of people who think more travel is better. There's too much redundancy across the range of bikes.

Hopefully the Joker will still have the 5"/7" travel option...I'd be more inclined to get that than this new, revamped "Isis".

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
chad1433 said:
What's the point of adding 30 mm of rear end travel and changing the name of the Isis? Maybe new geometry? When will the maddness end? I think this just plays to the market of people who think more travel is better. There's too much redundancy across the range of bikes.

Hopefully the Joker will still have the 5"/7" travel option...I'd be more inclined to get that than this new, revamped "Isis".
Looks like a really boring 'new' addition IMHO. *YAWN*

I like the 4 bars, but a bit of innovation would be nice...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are LBS's out there that aren't exactly up with what's going on, so I can see your and many others frustrations about not getting new infor on new releases. But that's where I heard my rumor, in an Ellsworth dealer bike shop. I don't know how one knows more or gets their info quicker, maybe it's by location, they are in SoCal.

As far as my comparison with Santa Cruz, the bike itself has nothing to do with Ellsworth, it's how bike companies approach the growing suspension trend. Add more and more travel then create a gap where there used to be a bike but now isn't. 4 bar is great, and single pivots have their advantages, but I agree with Chad1433, innovation would be nice like how Santa Cruz did with creating the VPP but kept the single pivot. How about some 5th Element or Manitou choices on the Jokers? Is the DHX available in 8.5/2.5 configuration? What's the aftermarket cost for the DHX?

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Innovation is the way, bit maybe huge changes are not taking place because they are onto such a good thing.......... When I was in motocross, frame and suspension changes were not damatic yearly, as were full suspension mountain bikes when I was doing it 9 years back. GT were it really along with Kona for me, got tired they changed them so radically every year, totally different concepts. At least now we can be sure we are onto a supposed good thing.

My 04 DARE makes me smile each time I ride it. Cant get over how well it pedals up hill for a FR/DH bike, am stoked.

It has improved my riding, because believe me it has changed in 9 years. Am way happy with the scooter.

Cheers
Whafe

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
chad1433 said:

Unfortunately, what will probably happen is that two years from now, anyone who has warrenty issues with their isis won't be able to get replacement parts because ellsworth will pull their usual practices of no longer making parts for bikes older than two years.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Renegade said:
Unfortunately, what will probably happen is that two years from now, anyone who has warrenty issues with their isis won't be able to get replacement parts because ellsworth will pull their usual practices of no longer making parts for bikes older than two years.
I can live with that if the changes they make warrant getting the new bike anyway, because, hey, I'm a consumer and I love new stuff. But re-labelling the same bike as something new is just silly. I can't say that they did that for sure, but it seems like it to me. It looks like a Joker frame in the 5" travel setting. Maybe the geometry is diff.

Personally, I'd like to see them change the Truth to make it more competative with the Turner 5 spot - beef it up, add an inch and refine it. But that's just me...

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
chad1433 said:
Personally, I'd like to see them change the Truth to make it more competative with the Turner 5 spot - beef it up, add an inch and refine it. But that's just me...
Turner 5 Spot - Not meant to even compare to Truth

Moment - Ellsworths Take on the Spot - A little heavier, geometry differences etc.

If it wasn't for the horrible reputation I think the Truth would be a much more respected bike. IMHO, its a good bike and suits its intended application well.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
chad1433 said:
Yeah, I thought the same thing, it rides so nice and the 4" travel front/rear is ideal for a lot of terrain. A 5" fork up front is really nice on the drops, but the 4" fork can handle most situations and it definitely climbs better. I guess 5" is becoming standard for trailbikes, but 4" is more than enough for most areas.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New '05 Distance

Here is the new '05 Distance I built up today for my buddy. VERY similar to my Joker, but rides more like an XC bike.

The Fox Float R is "tuned for Ellsworth", and seems good. What I didn't like was how the shock was mounted and where the air valve is in relation to the rebound adjuster. The rebound is upside down on the swingarm side, very hard to access, but easier for the air valve. I mounted it upside down to make the rebound adjustments easier, but the air valve conflicted with the frame. I don't see this as Ellsworth's fault, maybe just an oversight on Fox's location of the air valve. Hmmm... anyway..

I love the way the bike is set up:
21" frame
XT/Singletracks
Truvativ cranks
SRAM X-9's
Bomber Z-1, 2004
Hayes
WTB tires 2.5 Weirwolf, 2.25 'raptor
Thomson,WTB, Answer, Truvativ, King cockpit.

We haven't gone for a ride yet, so I'll update later.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Going the Distance

Nice looking build Sugar Dare. You are spot on; the rebound adjuster is difficult to turn. We just had one picked up by Richard Cunningham of Mountain Bike Action for testing and I noted the same observation. One thing you can do is swap the shock orientation. Put the rebound adjuster end towards the swingarm, with the rebound knob on the bottom.
It should clear the frame no problem but it would be a good idea to cycle the suspension thru its full range of motion with no air in the shock. This gives peace of mind and insures shock fitment is a go. The knob will easier to turn in this position.
We will begin shipping all production 05 DISTANCE frames with this "rear rebound" shock orientation.

Other shock options for the 05 DISTANCE are the ROMIC D, and the 05 SPV Swinger Air 3-Way.

Please let us know how your buddy enjoys his new ride.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts