Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone know a good rod to use to stick-weld al cans...

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  edoz 
#1 ·
I wanna make a beercan frame.

#3 ·
Forget stick welding aluminum. The selection of SMAW aluminum rods is very limited, don't work very well, and are only appropriate for materials 1/8" and thicker.

GTAW (tig) on the other hand, could easily make a "frame" like that shown. I'm not sure of the alloy used in cans, but a 5356 filler rod would be a good place to start experimenting.

#4 ·
MichauxYeti said:
GTAW (tig) on the other hand, could easily make a "frame" like that shown. I'm not sure of the alloy used in cans, but a 5356 filler rod would be a good place to start experimenting.
Easily? Are you crazy? Do you even realize how thin al cans are? Not to mention Al cans have this nasty plastic coating on the insides of them that totally mess up welds. I've tried, albeit only on a can bottom, never even considered welding to the walls of a can.

The guy who built the one in that pic has mad skills. Skills I could only dream of attaining.

BM

#7 ·
I haven't done it yet, but here's how my attempt would go..... 1/16" filler rod added rapidly to act as a heat sink, 3/32" 2%thoriated tungsten run on DCRP pulse, also to reduce the heat input. I'd run a quick initial pass of the electrode over the can to help clean off any remaining contaminants, then proceed to add filler on the second pass.

#8 ·
I too have tried this - the lining on the cans makes it damn near impossible - all you get is black schmutz. I've heard of people treating the cans beforehand with something to remove the coating, but I'm not sure with what.

On a similar note, I've also heard that the ultimate thing to prove your mettle as a TIGger is to cut a can in half and weld it back together seamlessly. Doesn't really seem humanly possible though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.