Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i like the design a little better. one of the posters...outlander something has the 11 black and white that looks sweet.

I think Trek's color combos are much better, but i want a specialized.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got the 10 model, do you know what changed on the 11 aside from the color? I have to admit the black white looks so much better than the black red, but I ended up with a yellow/black.....

·
2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
596 Posts
Thats my LBS dannys. The mechanics are good, but you have to prove yourself to the sales people to even talk to them which can be a real bother.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats up with their prices being over the MSRP on specialized bikes on the website?

where do you ride beaver? I'm across the river in bergen county, but work in Tarrytown. I'm lookin for some good beginner trails.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ripthruster said:
I just got the '11 in the same black/white scheme, but I gotta' admit the red looks really nice too.
Did they have it in stock or did you have to order it? I'm thinking bout going to get mine today. MY lbs is having a 10% off sale on all bikes including 2011's.

·
596 Posts
flashme18 said:
Whats up with their prices being over the MSRP on specialized bikes on the website?

where do you ride beaver? I'm across the river in bergen county, but work in Tarrytown. I'm lookin for some good beginner trails.
They are a volume operation. They just want to sell, sell, sell. I mainly ride in Van Cortlandt park or Sprain Ridge. Thats as far as I can ride to trails, as I dont have a car. The Van Cortlandt doesnt allow biking, but I still do it anyway, just at times when there are no rangers.

As for prices, maybe its just an error. When I bought my Rockhopper they charged me MSRP and wouldn't budge on price.

They are a decent shop, they at least let you try out the bikes, unlike a few other shops. But they are expensive and sometimes rude. Service at the shop is ridiculous in price.

There are some other shops around like Sierra Cycles in scarsdale http://www.sierracyclesny.com/Frans_Website_v92/Sierra_Cycles.html

Ive never been but they are supposed to be more performance driven rather than sales driven, but they dont sell specialized. I suggest if you have a car to look around and go to the shop you feel best with. I didnt have a car so it was Dannys or another shop closer to me which didnt let people test ride bikes. I didnt know about the sierra cycles at that time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BeaverTail said:
They are a volume operation. They just want to sell, sell, sell. I mainly ride in Van Cortlandt park or Sprain Ridge. Thats as far as I can ride to trails, as I dont have a car. The Van Cortlandt doesnt allow biking, but I still do it anyway, just at times when there are no rangers.

As for prices, maybe its just an error. When I bought my Rockhopper they charged me MSRP and wouldn't budge on price.

They are a decent shop, they at least let you try out the bikes, unlike a few other shops. But they are expensive and sometimes rude. Service at the shop is ridiculous in price.

There are some other shops around like Sierra Cycles in scarsdale http://www.sierracyclesny.com/Frans_Website_v92/Sierra_Cycles.html

Ive never been but they are supposed to be more performance driven rather than sales driven, but they dont sell specialized. I suggest if you have a car to look around and go to the shop you feel best with. I didnt have a car so it was Dannys or another shop closer to me which didnt let people test ride bikes. I didnt know about the sierra cycles at that time.
Beaver..thats ridiculous that they are rude. Bad business all the way around. I guess they figure they can be jerks if there isn't much competition in the lower westchester market.

I've gotten nothing but good service at the lbs's ive gone too. They spend the time to explain things to you...some try and sell you on a better bike, but there wasn't any pressure to buy a bike. I was able to test ride anything I want and they even gave me a helmet to try out for the ride.

One lbs offered to call me to go bike riding if they could find an extra bike last sunday.

·
596 Posts
flashme18 said:
Beaver..thats ridiculous that they are rude. Bad business all the way around. I guess they figure they can be jerks if there isn't much competition in the lower westchester market.

I've gotten nothing but good service at the lbs's ive gone too. They spend the time to explain things to you...some try and sell you on a better bike, but there wasn't any pressure to buy a bike. I was able to test ride anything I want and they even gave me a helmet to try out for the ride.

One lbs offered to call me to go bike riding if they could find an extra bike last sunday.
Well its just Scarsdale, so their customer base is the richy type, which I am not. Most folks go in and don't question a $90 tune up or a week turn around time, I know better and my money is short. Not that id ever pay for a tune up there. But you do get free tuneups/maintenance for 13 months which is a perk. They arent all bad, they can just be a little rough. Its the only specialized dealer in the area as far as I know, except in nyc.

Im not sure if Id buy from there again, but I may. I dont really have many other options.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
If you work in Tarrytown, then take a short hop north on the NYS Thruway and take Route 17K Newburgh exit west to #20 Rt 17K, "The Wheel & Heel"...nice knowledgeable staff and they will work with you. Oh, and they carry Specialized.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
And one of us in NYC are much more pleasant and considerably less expensive on all S and T bikes ;) None of this long turnaround time, out average is 25 minutes due to NYC rents and subsequent lack of storage space. 25-30 minutes on the train and 15 minutes on the subway puts you at our front door.

We also are getting all of the '11's in as they become available to ship.

I can't keep spamming the board so pm for details please.

·
596 Posts
gravitylover said:
And one of us in NYC are much more pleasant and considerably less expensive on all S and T bikes ;) None of this long turnaround time, out average is 25 minutes due to NYC rents and subsequent lack of storage space. 25-30 minutes on the train and 15 minutes on the subway puts you at our front door.

We also are getting all of the '11's in as they become available to ship.

I can't keep spamming the board so pm for details please.
what shop is this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just bought the 2011 HR sport disc in black and white.. seems to be the trend!

After buying it I saw the 2010 sport disc that someone else had bought the day before in red and black and its a sweet color combo except for the white rims and red fork. Unfortunately, all the 2010 17" sport disc's are sold out..

I paid a little more for the 11 but i got 10% off b/c they were having a sale. So basically no tax. And they are throwing in 2 water bottles for free..woo hoo...I really worked them over on throwing in the water bottles with their LBS name on them! haha..

·
Registered
32 Posts
flashme18 said:
Did they have it in stock or did you have to order it? I'm thinking bout going to get mine today. MY lbs is having a 10% off sale on all bikes including 2011's.
No, they only had the '10s in stock, but not in y frame size. They said If hey had to order it it would be an 11, which they won't actually sock in their 2 stores for another month. I ordered it last Tuesday so hopefully this week it should arrive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
flashme18 said:
just bought the 2011 HR sport disc in black and white.. seems to be the trend!

After buying it I saw the 2010 sport disc that someone else had bought the day before in red and black and its a sweet color combo except for the white rims and red fork. Unfortunately, all the 2010 17" sport disc's are sold out..

I paid a little more for the 11 but i got 10% off b/c they were having a sale. So basically no tax. And they are throwing in 2 water bottles for free..woo hoo...I really worked them over on throwing in the water bottles with their LBS name on them! haha..
I was in the same boat. I needed the 17" but they were oos so I had to order an 11. I'm happy. I ordered the Black and White, but I must admit when I saw the Red later, i liked it too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts