Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early morning ride, starting at 7 am, riding for about 4 hours.

Many trails at New Hogan, thinking of riding coyote point.

Anyone interested?

It is located couple miles from highway 12 and highway 26 intersection in valley springs, ca.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the one trail coyote point (95% singletrack, strenuous climbs) is supposedly a type of trail where 'if you can ride this you can ride any trail', however the ranger informed me that it is not technically open yet.

The trails I usually ride are gravel trails (marked mtb trail/hiking trail), not as wide as fireroads. I usually do a there and back for 4 miles, then go on the road for a couple minutes to another gravel trailhead for another 4 mile there andback, and just rotate between the two. No harsh climbs, couple short steep ones, though if you are advanced they are probably easy to you.

We can try coyote point if you are up for an advanced ride, or we can just stick to the mellow trails. It's up to you. I have a map of all the trails too we can look at when we meet up.

I meet in the wrinkle cove day use area, at the end where the trailhead is.

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
Huh?

cmktech said:
Well the one trail coyote point (95% singletrack, strenuous climbs) is supposedly a type of trail where 'if you can ride this you can ride any trail', however the ranger informed me that it is not technically open yet.
I don't know which Ranger you talked to, but Coyote Point has been being ridden continuously. We were just out there last weekend. Just park at the overflow parking for the campground and ride through the campground to one of the 2 trailheads. It's not one trail really. There's the lower, beginner/intermediate trail and the higher, advanced trail. The upper trail tends to go up and down the mountain sides, branches out into several trails, and meets up with the lower trail farther out.

The trails I usually ride are gravel trails (marked mtb trail/hiking trail), not as wide as fireroads. I usually do a there and back for 4 miles, then go on the road for a couple minutes to another gravel trailhead for another 4 mile there andback, and just rotate between the two. No harsh climbs, couple short steep ones, though if you are advanced they are probably easy to you.
Are you talking about Bear Creek or the bike path near the dam?

We can try coyote point if you are up for an advanced ride, or we can just stick to the mellow trails. It's up to you. I have a map of all the trails too we can look at when we meet up.

I meet in the wrinkle cove day use area, at the end where the trailhead is.
If you need more info. try looking at Ogrehut.com. We've been riding out there for about 4-5 years.

Fiona

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,904 Posts
Lots of water

fuenstock said:
I would really like to come out to for this morning ride, so if every thing goes as planned for me I will be there! Is there drinking fountains or should I bring plenty of water?
Bring lots of water, it gets hot. I'm debating hooking up at least for part of this ride. I really want to go to Demo Forest but I'm technically on-call so should stay close to home. If you want to ride Sunday Morning around 7:30AM I'll hook up wit you.

All of the Coyote Point trails are very rocky. The upper trail is challenging for intermediate riders and has enough to keep advanced riders attention, there are quite a few technical sections both uphill and downhill. The lower trail is fairly flat but rocky, it keeps beginning riders on their toes and intermediate riders can really haul ass on this trail. I've been wanting to map all of the trails at Hogan so I might just bring the GPS and try and get the all the trails in. If you stick to the lower trail as an out-and-back there is about 6 miles of singletrack to the gate then another couple miles past the gate which is pretty beaten up due to abuse from cattle ranchers (which is sad because this was a nice part of the trail). So 12 miles out-and-back on the lower trail. You can ride the upper trail as a loop with the lower for about the same mileage but more challenge or you can mix up the route... I have some choice routes where you ride the better downhills twice. It's hard to get more than 15-18 miles of riding out of this place but the mileage is a little rougher than it is at New Melones.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
0gre said:
Bring lots of water, it gets hot. I'm debating hooking up at least for part of this ride. I really want to go to Demo Forest but I'm technically on-call so should stay close to home. If you want to ride Sunday Morning around 7:30AM I'll hook up wit you.

Great minds think alike. I'm going to try and adjust my schedule and make it. It will probably be earlier for me. I'll need a 7AM start and bail early. I'll get ahold of Dave and Ralph too.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so Ogre you said Sunday but we are riding saturday, Fred you are riding saturday? I guess we could switch it to Sunday if we can get a good group ride. I will take anything since I ride alone always.

I am kind of confused by the trail map I have for coyote, and would like to do the lower loop but if I am with you guys I will do the upper loop, just as long as I have people in front of me so I don't get lost. Will be great to have a guide as it will be my first on this trail.

So Saturday or Sunday?

·
2,546 Posts
cmktech said:
ok so Ogre you said Sunday but we are riding saturday, Fred you are riding saturday? I guess we could switch it to Sunday if we can get a good group ride. I will take anything since I ride alone always.

I am kind of confused by the trail map I have for coyote, and would like to do the lower loop but if I am with you guys I will do the upper loop, just as long as I have people in front of me so I don't get lost. Will be great to have a guide as it will be my first on this trail.

So Saturday or Sunday?
No worries. You live there. Do both Saurday and Sunday. :D

Sat for me

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok good, I will do both but I really wanna go Saturday so cool Fred, hope you make it out. Where would you like to meet, the parking lot just past acorn west? :0 im excited to ride with you guys.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,904 Posts
Oak Knoll

cmktech said:
Ok good, I will do both but I really wanna go Saturday so cool Fred, hope you make it out. Where would you like to meet, the parking lot just past acorn west? :0 im excited to ride with you guys.
There is a parking area right outside of the Oak Knoll campsite which is the eastmost campsite I think. You can't really get lost at Coyote Point, If you get really mixed up just head downhill and towards the lake then turn right onto the lower trail to get back to the car.

I'll see if I can get Char (Fiona) to come with us. It's hard enough to get myself motivated to leave the house at 6:15 though. At least it will be cooler at 7AM.

I'm just trying to figure out a route so I can hit every single trail out there so I can map it. Usually I miss some of the lower trail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey guys i was wondering what kind of riding this will be... i wanna come out and ride but i wanna make sure everyone is ok with having me there. the basics im a 16 year old female and i ride a rockhopper fsr xc, nice bike but i have to admit im pretty much a beginer in every aspect. climbs are my major weekness and im sure u will find me in the rear somewhere, all in all i still wanna come out and give new hogan a try so let me kno if you think someone like me would last out there thanks.

·
2,546 Posts
mtbmel said:
hey guys i was wondering what kind of riding this will be... i wanna come out and ride but i wanna make sure everyone is ok with having me there. the basics im a 16 year old female and i ride a rockhopper fsr xc, nice bike but i have to admit im pretty much a beginer in every aspect. climbs are my major weekness and im sure u will find me in the rear somewhere, all in all i still wanna come out and give new hogan a try so let me kno if you think someone like me would last out there thanks.

I've shuffled some stuff around. I'll see you at the trailhead near Coyote Point at 7AM Saturday. Looks Ogre et al will be there on Sunday.

mtbmel, come on out. The lower trail near the water should be perfect.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I don't think there'd be a problem.

mtbmel said:
You could ride the lower trail while others rode the upper. The 2 parallel each other for most of the route, so you'd always have them in sight. If you couldn't see them, you'd hear them. You may hear: "FOCK, it's HOT," or "AUGHHHHHH!" or "I'm turning back for beer" (this wouldn't happen until after 8 a.m.), or "Who made these [email protected] trails??" or something along those lines.

Watch out for the 0gre- he'll probably try to get you to drink beer & then take pics of you hucking.

fp

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.