Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone interested in a SS specific stainless 1/8" chainring?

• 104bcd x 32t

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • 104bcd x 33t

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 104bcd x 34t

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 104bcd x 35t

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 104bcd x 36t

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever run into the issue of wanting to run an 1/8" chain but all you can find in a stainless steel ring is a ring made for 3/32" chain? Sure the 3/32" chainring works but why not run the same thickness ring?

I am looking at a startup company producing a singlespeed specific 1/8" stainless chainring to use with 1/8" chains only and have made a few prototypes (see link below for pic of a 104bcd x36t ring). These rings are heavier duty than another brand you can think of so you should get more life out of them also without the worry of a foldover as I have heard happens with "that other ring". I haven't decided on whether to do the engraving (as shown) or laser etch the parts instead. These rings will be priced a bit higher than "that other company" due to the thicker material and the custom engraving but overall, it should offer a longer life span due to the thicker ring.

If you are interested, please take the poll or post up a size other than listed that you would be interested in. I would guess the most popular bolt pattern would be the 104bcd 4 bolt pattern. I am curious to see the market interest in something like this prior to doling out a bunch of cash for equipment, inventory, etc.

Full size image link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4EPXLBubDT6WR92R4dSH7w?feat=directlink

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
i already make them, and i'll tell you right now, i barely sell any 1/8" rings. 99% of singlespeeders prefer 3/32" as the chains are generally better, so not much of a market or the 1/8" stuff, i'm afraid.

EDIT: i don't make them in stainless (or any stainless chainrings for that matter)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ISuckAtRiding said:
i already make them, and i'll tell you right now, i barely sell any 1/8" rings. 99% of singlespeeders prefer 3/32" as the chains are generally better, so not much of a market or the 1/8" stuff, i'm afraid.

EDIT: i don't make them in stainless (or any stainless chainrings for that matter)
On edit: I am targeting the singlespeed and fixie crowd with these parts. There is WAY too much competiton out there to start producing 3/32" thick rings.... Plus, with rings as nice and "blingy" looking like yours, why buy anything else in a 3/32" ring.

·
2,419 Posts
mntn-biker said:
I had message'd you and replied in your thread months ago about if you still made 1/8" thick stainless steel rings for singlespeeds and I never heard anything so I took matters into my own hands ;)
It's posted in my FAQ section on my website and in several places in the thread.:p
yea, i don't make stainless. What alloy are you using? If you can source 17-4ph for cheap, i'd suggest going with that, and i'm sure you'll sell a ton of them if you offer them in both thicknesses. Looks like a nice ring! Are you going to CNC mill them or stamp them like surly? I'm guessing mill, judging by the pic. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ISuckAtRiding said:
It's posted in my FAQ section on my website and in several places in the thread.:p
yea, i don't make stainless for several reasons. A good stainless is about as expensive as ti, so didnt seem worth it to me. The cheaper stuff like 300 and 400 series has a very low yield strength and tends to bend too easily, so i stay away from that. If you can source 17-4ph for cheap, i'd suggest going with that, and i'm sure you'll sell a ton of them if you offer them in both thicknesses. Looks like a nice ring! Are you going to CNC mill them or stamp them like surly? I'm guessing mill, judging by the pic. :thumbsup:
Not stamping them, it would be too costly for the tooling due to the different size/configuration rings. If I could sell about 100,00 of each ring size per year, then I would go that route otherwise the payback would not be there. I have another method I am using for getting the main profile machined and then cnc mill cleanup and engraving.

All your products look very nice! They have the cool "bling" look to them. I am keeping mine more of a functional part as most of my ss friends are into durability for their singlespeeds.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
p nut said:
I've mainly used 3/32" with zero issues. Unless there is a stastical data showing significant failure rates of 3/32 vs 1/8, I'm going to stick with 3/32.
I have a couple of friends that have each folded over a S***y ring. I am addressing more of a longevity and fit issue but at the same time, addessing the foldover issue as well by beefing up the rings. These rings are not for "weight weenies" :p

·
2,419 Posts
mntn-biker said:
I have a couple of friends that have each folded over a S***y ring. I am addressing more of a longevity and fit issue but at the same time, addessing the foldover issue as well by beefing up the rings. These rings are not for "weight weenies" :p
that's more of an issue of the alloy used. i've folded one as well.... even aluminum has a much higher yield strength than that stuff.

·
max_29
265 Posts
mntn-biker said:
All your products look very nice! They have the cool "bling" look to them. I am keeping mine more of a functional part as most of my ss friends are into durability for their singlespeeds.
i'm running 1/8" chainring made by ISuckAtRiding, and it's very functional :thumbsup:

it's not just a "bling", it's also a quality and precision of components.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I think 3/32 does fine, and I'm a tough rider. 1/8 would be overkill for a singlespeed. Although I do have a 1/8 on my fixed gear road bike (came stock with it). I think 1/8 would be great for dirt jump bikes, but I think bmx has that covered since everything is microdrive with bmx style cranks.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
I don't really get what you're going after. I don't think there are many fixed riders to begin with at that BCD and tooth count and with your name being "One ****ing Gear" you are targeting your product at ******bags and people who don't care.

Obviously, I probably don't now what the hell I'm talking about. I don't care for 1/8 chains, cogs or chainrings and I use aluminum chainrings on my fixed gear without problems.

Good luck. It is nice when a start up succeeds.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,341 Posts
I run a 94bcd 5-arm "compact" spider so I'm out. But don't make 94bcd 5-arm rings for me anyway... cuz my bikes employ 3/32" running gear.

As for the name, if you're looking for an edgy name that comes close to pissing people off without coming quite as close as the one you've got stamped into the pictured ring (nice looking ring, BTW), you could go with "Middle Fin Gear" and show a graphic of a smiling / winking shark with a big dorsal fin.

Kinda like a mascot.

Hello, I'm in marketing.

And I have a big dorsal fin.

--sParty

P.S. You forgot to include "None of the above" as a poll option. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I run 1/8" on my single speeds. I am currently waiting on a set of homebrewed 1/8" front and rear sprockets. They should be in the mail right now. But they are alum, I would need to see how fast I wear these out to see if I would need to go stainless or Ti.

Are you going to make rear sprockets too or just front?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
brent878 said:
I run 1/8" on my single speeds. I am currently waiting on a set of homebrewed 1/8" front and rear sprockets. They should be in the mail right now. But they are alum, I would need to see how fast I wear these out to see if I would need to go stainless or Ti.

Are you going to make rear sprockets too or just front?
Just fronts for now but my goal is to go 1/8" front and rear once I get up and running....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
asphaltdude said:
Actually I would like a 47 or 48t 130mm 1/8" stainless ring, but you're not gonna make those, are you?
It's not out of the question that I make a handful of the 110 and 130 sized rings when I run my initial batch so thanks for posting up the size you were looking for. I'm thinking I will sell a lot more of the 104bcd rings since it is the newer std and most common for most of the SS'ers I know in the area.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.