Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a service tech in Pittsburgh, and work has been super slow for like the past 2 years. Just wondering if it seems to be any better anywhere else?

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
Gotta go where it's blazing hot! Probably most large city's in the southwest. I'm an hvac contractor in So. Cal., always have enough to keep busy & still find time to ride.
Course, I've been doing this since before recorded history began.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear that it's kind of consolidated in parts, not too widespread. Seems like everything really went downhill after the whole 9/11 thing, and after Heinz field and PNC park got done. From what I understand, there's not too much work going on anywhere in the East really. Sory if I didn't mention before, I was thinking commercial, not rezzie.

·
The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
The Few, The Obscure

I'm a HVAC controls tech at a big pharmacutical research joint in CT. Pretty much busy all the time, I usually can't get to all my work, so I have to prioritze what I do. This environment is fairly demanding, each season has its own unique "character" (for lack of better words). There is also a lot of emergent work, so things can change in a heartbeat. Definitely not a desk driving job. I deal mostly with Honeywell DDC's. Oops, there goes the pager, gotta' go..............

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
If you want more work.....

KrisJ said:
I'm a service tech in Pittsburgh, and work has been super slow for like the past 2 years. Just wondering if it seems to be any better anywhere else?
I'm a semi-retired contractor in Norcal. Early on, when I ran the HVAC only business full time, I had the same problem with slow times between seasons. I branched out to light commercial refrigeration and ice making equipment, restaurants and small mom and pop grocery stores. I ended up with more work than I knew what to do with. Be careful what you wish for:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some of the programming and most of the checkout of the Excel5000 control system here at Heinz field. There's just not a whole lot of new construction going on in this area right now, and thats what my employer relies on. I've got an offer on the table go go to Scottsdale, AZ next year once I finish my apprenticeship, if it stays like this here in Pittsburgh much longer, I think I'll explore my options with that one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
rumour has it that Vancouver is good for HVAC right now, but that's based solely on whisperings among a bunch of recent grads. Anyway, if you can get work out there, you'll be taking a pay cut but you'll be right by some of the best riding on the continent. I'd be jealous...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just another 17 months

well, its just another 17 months until I graduate from the apprenticeship and will be able to take a travel card to any local in the US or Canada. I was kind of thinking somewhere with better weather than Southwest PA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.