Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
My cousin is a big shot in the C/G. Helicopter pilot and instructor. I'm not real close to him but I know the C/G paid for him to go to Harvard. He has moved around a lot but the service has been very good to him. When I was growing up my buddies dad was the Commandant of Curtis Bay Md. I know he did real well for himself, house on the water nice cars early retirement.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Mighty Matt said:
just wondering if there is anyone who is in the coast guard and ride alot? i am considering joining to pay for college.
talk to mtbr poster "el casitgator" - he can throw down with the best of 'em!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I was in Coast Guard Aviation. I flew search and rescue(SAR) on H-3 Helicopters. I really liked the job. No comparison to the time I did in the Navy.:thumbsup:

Everything about the Coast Guard was better than the Navy. Everything!! The way they treat enlisted personnel in the Navy is like dogs. In the Coast Guard there was much better respect between Officers and Enlisted personnel. More like a team of firefighters.

The Coast Guard was very hardcore about training, and more training. The Navy was more worried about if your sideburn was a quarter inch too low. Anal as hell about things that don't matter.

The Navy is more specialized, meaning you do mostly one thing. In the Coast Guard you learn it all. When I got to my base I had to get qualified on towing H-3 helicopters, and C-130 aircraft. Had to drive a fuel truck, and refuel it, then refuel helicopters. Had to assist refueling C-130's. Had to learn to run the APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) on the helicopter, apply power to it, and to do both Pre-flight, and Post-flight inspections. Then had to complete "Dunker" training on exiting an upside down helicopter, underwater and blindfolded. Worked on Avionic equipment in the shop. Operated "Nightsun" and Forward looking Infrared while flying, and the radios and hoist.

I got to fly in Hurricane Andrew, and Superstorm 93, so got to do some fun and rewarding rescues.

I really kick myself for letting my wife talk me into getting out.:madman: Only thing I did not like was Tampa Bay where I was stationed. Too crowded and limited mountain biking.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
twowheelsdown2002 said:
I was in Coast Guard Aviation. I flew search and rescue(SAR) on H-3 Helicopters. I really liked the job. No comparison to the time I did in the Navy.:thumbsup:

Everything about the Coast Guard was better than the Navy. Everything!! The way they treat enlisted personnel in the Navy is like dogs. In the Coast Guard there was much better respect between Officers and Enlisted personnel. More like a team of firefighters.

The Coast Guard was very hardcore about training, and more training. The Navy was more worried about if your sideburn was a quarter inch too low. Anal as hell about things that don't matter.

The Navy is more specialized, meaning you do mostly one thing. In the Coast Guard you learn it all. When I got to my base I had to get qualified on towing H-3 helicopters, and C-130 aircraft. Had to drive a fuel truck, and refuel it, then refuel helicopters. Had to assist refueling C-130's. Had to learn to run the APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) on the helicopter, apply power to it, and to do both Pre-flight, and Post-flight inspections. Then had to complete "Dunker" training on exiting an upside down helicopter, underwater and blindfolded. Worked on Avionic equipment in the shop. Operated "Nightsun" and Forward looking Infrared while flying, and the radios and hoist.

I got to fly in Hurricane Andrew, and Superstorm 93, so got to do some fun and rewarding rescues.

I really kick myself for letting my wife talk me into getting out.:madman: Only thing I did not like was Tampa Bay where I was stationed. Too crowded and limited mountain biking.
was ther plenty of time to ride and ski?i may go to college first then go in as an officer. it looks fun, i would get to play with guns, boats, guns. Would i be able to keep somewhat of a sideburn? i dont want to look like a jar head.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Mighty Matt said:
was ther plenty of time to ride and ski?i may go to college first then go in as an officer. it looks fun, i would get to play with guns, boats, guns. Would i be able to keep somewhat of a sideburn? i dont want to look like a jar head.
Where I was stationed, we worked 8 hour days, 7am-3pm with an hour for lunch. We had 8 section duty, so every 8 days you had to spend the night on SAR duty.(24 hour duty) One week you would be "line" crew, and would fuel the aircraft, and do pre-flights etc, to have them ready for the aircrew. Then next week you would be "aircrew", and would sit around in your flight suit shooting pool, waiting for the SAR alarm to go off, and go out on a rescue. Some nights you did not do much. Other nights you got no sleep. Kind of like a firefighter.

If you had duty on Saturday, you got Sunday and Monday off, and if you had duty on Sunday you got Friday and Saturday off. In the Navy, you had one weekend you always worked, and you did not get comped for it. I always got 2 days off every week in the Coast Guard. You also get 30 days paid vacation, and could take the weekend off, then use 5 days leave, and take off the next weekend. In other words, 6 vacations of 9 days each year.

How much you can ride will depend far more on where you get stationed. You will have lots of personal time.:thumbsup:

This is speaking from a Coast Guard Aviation perspective. I can't say for sure what duty on boats is like. Go to a recruiter and ask, and do a few searches. Good luck.

·
Registered
544 Posts
twowheelsdown2002 said:
Where I was stationed, we worked 8 hour days, 7am-3pm with an hour for lunch. We had 8 section duty, so every 8 days you had to spend the night on SAR duty.(24 hour duty) One week you would be "line" crew, and would fuel the aircraft, and do pre-flights etc, to have them ready for the aircrew. Then next week you would be "aircrew", and would sit around in your flight suit shooting pool, waiting for the SAR alarm to go off, and go out on a rescue. Some nights you did not do much. Other nights you got no sleep. Kind of like a firefighter.

If you had duty on Saturday, you got Sunday and Monday off, and if you had duty on Sunday you got Friday and Saturday off. In the Navy, you had one weekend you always worked, and you did not get comped for it. I always got 2 days off every week in the Coast Guard. You also get 30 days paid vacation, and could take the weekend off, then use 5 days leave, and take off the next weekend. In other words, 6 vacations of 9 days each year.

How much you can ride will depend far more on where you get stationed. You will have lots of personal time.:thumbsup:

This is speaking from a Coast Guard Aviation perspective. I can't say for sure what duty on boats is like. Go to a recruiter and ask, and do a few searches. Good luck.
Damn I should have joined the Coast Guard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.