Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't decide on what size to get and would like to through a leg over one and if possible, pedal it up and down the street to see how it fits.

I'm 6ft w/ long legs.

thanks,

-Sp

ps, I'll buy you a 6pack of your favorite beer. :D

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Comparing the numbers for the med/large, I'm kinda in between when I look at the numbers for my current bike (large reign x).

I demo'd a large GF Rumblefish and found the fit was pretty close to perfect. I'd drop down from the 105mm stem to a 80-90mm or so. The Rumblefish has a slacker seat angle @72.2 degrees but I do not know how they determine the angle since the seat tube is not concentric with the bottom bracket (sits slightly in front of the bb). This bike has a 45" wheelbase just like the medium wfo. I really do like the seat angle around 72 degrees (vs steeper), hence I was looking at a medium niner so I could run a setback post.

I've been reading over in the niner forum how a lot of people are saying the niners 'feel' big (wfo is what I'm really looking at), but it does seem to be quite a mixed bag between too big and just right.

The other concern is the amount of seatpost I need to run. I had just looked at a pic of the rumblefish setup for me and there's quite a bit of seatpost sticking out. I'm worried about breaking the frame w/ a medium.

-Sp

rensho said:
At that size, no way you're a med.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
SinglePivot said:
Comparing the numbers for the med/large, I'm kinda in between when I look at the numbers for my current bike (large reign x).

I demo'd a large GF Rumblefish and found the fit was pretty close to perfect. I'd drop down from the 105mm stem to a 80-90mm or so. The Rumblefish has a slacker seat angle @72.2 degrees but I do not know how they determine the angle since the seat tube is not concentric with the bottom bracket (sits slightly in front of the bb). This bike has a 45" wheelbase just like the medium wfo. I really do like the seat angle around 72 degrees (vs steeper), hence I was looking at a medium niner so I could run a setback post.

I've been reading over in the niner forum how a lot of people are saying the niners 'feel' big (wfo is what I'm really looking at), but it does seem to be quite a mixed bag between too big and just right.

The other concern is the amount of seatpost I need to run. I had just looked at a pic of the rumblefish setup for me and there's quite a bit of seatpost sticking out. I'm worried about breaking the frame w/ a medium.

-Sp
FWIW, I went from a Large Rip9 to a Large ReignX (as you know, no XL, but I think L is right for me).

For most 26" bikes (XC-AM), I rode an XL, but most 29ers I ride a L.

Just my guess, but I think you could fit a medium, but a L would probably work better.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Niner seems to feel comfortable putting 6'ers on Mediums. That usually requires a bit longer stem than I prefer on a 29" bike AND a layback seatpost which works for some but can make it difficult to get to the standard K.O.P.S. position.

Some think that if they go Medium they'll 1) Save weight 2) The bike will handle better.

IMO this is wrong. A biggish body on a Med frame with a shorter wheelbase is just like putting someone on a 26" bike that's too small for them. The usual longer stem that a 6' person would need would dumb-down the steering imput and the shorter wheelbase would make the bike feel twitchy at speed.

I would recommend a Large frame, a 100mm stem (at the most, maybe shorter) and a non-layback seatpost.

Just my .02$ :)

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
DMFT said:
Niner seems to feel comfortable putting 6'ers on Mediums. That usually requires a bit longer stem than I prefer on a 29" bike AND a layback seatpost which works for some but can make it difficult to get to the standard K.O.P.S. position.

Some think that if they go Medium they'll 1) Save weight 2) The bike will handle better.

IMO this is wrong. A biggish body on a Med frame with a shorter wheelbase is just like putting someone on a 26" bike that's too small for them. The usual longer stem that a 6' person would need would dumb-down the steering imput and the shorter wheelbase would make the bike feel twitchy at speed.

I would recommend a Large frame, a 100mm stem (at the most, maybe shorter) and a non-layback seatpost.

Just my .02$ :)
Yep, well said here. I'd run a shorter than 100mm stem for sure. 60-80 is more like it. You want that to quicken up the steering.

Buying this level of a bike, you are right to try and ride them and buy what best fits you. Your comment about the seatpost length is a good one. If your legs are that long, you may not find a post long enough to run safely. Keep an eye on the headtube length as well, because jacking up the seat, you'll have a large seat to bar drop. You'll want a long HT, as well as spacers and riser bars to help level things out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amen brother! I have always wondered why some bike companies ran short head tubes on their larger bikes. Dave Turner has seen the light although he is getting slack for it. :rolleyes:

Sorry for going off tangent.

Here's a pic of the Rumblefish.

rensho said:
Keep an eye on the headtube length as well, because jacking up the seat, you'll have a large seat to bar drop. You'll want a long HT, as well as spacers and riser bars to help level things out.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm 6'2 and I ride a large 2008 Niner Rip. I think they've lowered the standover height a little bit on the newer models. I think a Large would probably fit better than a medium if you are 6 ft. I felt like I was on the cusp of needing an XL. I run a 100mm stem, a flat bar, and a few spacers under the stem raising the bar slightly. The CVA suspension design is awesome.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.