Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gonna go explore the ditch trail? tomorrow ( actually today since it's AM)
I dunno where I'm goin, but it'll be a cool ride for sights (bringin the SLR) and beers and maybe safety breaks.
I'm just cruisin easy so if anyone wants to roll with, ...do it
I'm leavin at? 11 at the latest
k

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ditch Trail?

highdelll said:
I was gonna go explore the ditch trail? tomorrow ( actually today since it's AM)
I dunno where I'm goin, but it'll be a cool ride for sights (bringin the SLR) and beers and maybe safety breaks.
I'm just cruisin easy so if anyone wants to roll with, ...do it
I'm leavin at? 11 at the latest
k
Are you going out to whiskeytown? Thats the only "ditch trail" trail I can think of.

I would love to go for a ride, but I'm stuck at work. :madman:

·
Registered
760 Posts
I rode pretty much all the ditch stuff in Peltier Valley yesterday. There is more water than I expected. Probably best to aim elsewhere to let the ditches dry out.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loki said:
Are you going out to whiskeytown? Thats the only "ditch trail" trail I can think of.

I would love to go for a ride, but I'm stuck at work. :madman:
The Sacramento River Ditch trail.
There's a trail (and several offshoots) that goes from ~west Oasis/north Quartz Hill that goes up to Shasta Dam. (See MAP)
It looks really mellow, but kinda cool - I've never been and I thought I'd do some exploring.
You can cross at the dam (I think) and return down the rail trail along Keswick and ultimately join the river trail for a pretty big loop.

Lower Sac. ditch trail (not my pic):

I may have to delay my start time (bummer) as my sis is supposed to be coming by @ 11.
But not bummed either because she always brings smokeables ;)

Anyways, it looked fun for a mellow time - beer and some photography and some pedalin :D
I normally don't get to do that type of thing because beer and SLRs (camera) are bulky and heavy - this seems like the perfect trail for it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
That trail takes water really well, so no problems there. The trek back on the west/south side of Keswick Lake (old rail bed) is not terrible, but not great either. It does go thru an old tunnel which is kinda fun. You could add in a trip to Chemise Peak. There are some cool loops up there too (the envelope), but they aren't on the map. Feel free to join us some time. We could show you around a bit. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Gotcha

highdelll said:
The Sacramento River Ditch trail.
There's a trail (and several offshoots) that goes from ~west Oasis/north Quartz Hill that goes up to Shasta Dam. (See MAP)
It looks really mellow, but kinda cool - I've never been and I thought I'd do some exploring.
You can cross at the dam (I think) and return down the rail trail along Keswick and ultimately join the river trail for a pretty big loop.

Lower Sac. ditch trail (not my pic):

I may have to delay my start time (bummer) as my sis is supposed to be coming by @ 11.
But not bummed either because she always brings smokeables ;)

Anyways, it looked fun for a mellow time - beer and some photography and some pedalin :D
I normally don't get to do that type of thing because beer and SLRs (camera) are bulky and heavy - this seems like the perfect trail for it.
Your perfectly accurate about that trail. It will be great for what you are wanting to do.

If your back up this way again and want to ride. Post up again. I'm pretty much limited to afterwork rides, or weekends.

Nate

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Loki said:
Your perfectly accurate about that trail. It will be great for what you are wanting to do.

If your back up this way again and want to ride. Post up again. I'm pretty much limited to afterwork rides, or weekends.

Nate
I'm up here for a while.
I'm not goin back to Chico till late July-ish

I'd love to tag along w/ one of you guys sometime.
There's a bunch of trails I haven't been on - Swasey to Whiskeytown for example.
Or south of the dam to clearcreek rd
(I've done a bunch of whiskeytown, tons of unmarked stuff in Shingletown area)

I'm kinda busy too and It's almost always spur of the moment type riding - ahh, you know how it goes;)

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
skip canfield said:

These pix were taken on Upper Salt creek/ Lower Springs trail right at the log rides.
There's a pair that nest in the high tension line towers not too far from there, just past the bridge and launch ramp. Well, Im kind of assuming its the same pair. Ive seen a nest a few different years there.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Highdell, the ditch line is a nice ride. If you are going to cross the dam, may as well include dry creek trail and maybe 76 at the OHV park. I have ridden the ditch line you talk about many times, qtz hill to the dam and back is 26 mile or 3.5 hours or so if you don't stop. I got some super secret singletrack that is close to that area, but you have to have a high pain tolerance and a willingness to get off the groomed track. Once things dry out, I will show you what I know, which aint much. try to hook up with skip, we rides well for an old guy, as soon as spring hits, i wan't to take a run up to weaverville and catch the basin system before it turns to powder.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ZEKEDAWG said:
Highdell, the ditch line is a nice ride. If you are going to cross the dam, may as well include dry creek trail and maybe 76 at the OHV park. I have ridden the ditch line you talk about many times, qtz hill to the dam and back is 26 mile or 3.5 hours or so if you don't stop. I got some super secret singletrack that is close to that area, but you have to have a high pain tolerance and a willingness to get off the groomed track. Once things dry out, I will show you what I know, which aint much. try to hook up with skip, we rides well for an old guy, as soon as spring hits, i wan't to take a run up to weaverville and catch the basin system before it turns to powder.
cool, maybe we can try to get together after these storms pass

*bummer, I didn't get to go riding friday - time got all use up :mad:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hey Z, thanx for the kind words. Lets ride some of that secret singletrack you speek of when these storms get done with us. Don't kid yourself, you know your way around this area pretty well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.