Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished an exchange of messages with the people at Specialized. I'm looking for something to replace my two year-old Hardrock Comp, and naturally went to them first. Unfortunately, I don't grok marketroid. Tell me, if you had a choice between these three bike models, which would you pick?

"Whether you're winning sprint finishes, dropping your friends on a climb, or just trying to better your best lap time on a favorite off-road loop, the Model A is the bike for blazing speed and ruthless efficiency."

"If you need an animal that will take you deep into the mountains or through your challenging local trails (and home again), then check out the Model B, bikes that spell fun, durability and true off-road performance."

"Every Model C is a competent rig for true trail riding, but they're light and versatile enough to also handle more all-purpose duties, like riding around town."

The people at Specialized say that they want me to "have an idea of what kind of experience the bike may offer." I'd be happy to have an idea of what the hell they are selling. And, as long as they don't mind divulging their trade-secret crank lengths and seat angles, why not tell us something useful, such as bike weight?
 

·
Who's that guy?
Joined
·
233 Posts
Crusty Oldman said:
The people at Specialized say that they want me to "have an idea of what kind of experience the bike may offer." I'd be happy to have an idea of what the hell they are selling. And, as long as they don't mind divulging their trade-secret crank lengths and seat angles, why not tell us something useful, such as bike weight?
Whaaaaaat??? And waste a 4 year marketing degree???

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,464 Posts
Crusty Oldman said:
"Whether you're winning sprint finishes, dropping your friends on a climb, or just trying to better your best lap time on a favorite off-road loop, the Model A is the bike for blazing speed and ruthless efficiency."
Light weight hardtail will evil handling only suited to racers and serious recreational riders

"If you need an animal that will take you deep into the mountains or through your challenging local trails (and home again), then check out the Model B, bikes that spell fun, durability and true off-road performance."
Heavy Full suspension bike built to outlast a sherman tank.

"Every Model C is a competent rig for true trail riding, but they're light and versatile enough to also handle more all-purpose duties, like riding around town."
Even heavier commuter class bike with cheap parts and probably a kick stand with built in lock so it's not appealing to get nicked...

The people at Specialized say that they want me to "have an idea of what kind of experience the bike may offer." I'd be happy to have an idea of what the hell they are selling. And, as long as they don't mind divulging their trade-secret crank lengths and seat angles, why not tell us something useful, such as bike weight
I always thought that we made our own experiences.

Ride the bikes and buy the one that makes you happy dude :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
Well I'm not as crusty as you...

Crusty Oldman said:
I just finished an exchange of messages with the people at Specialized. I'm looking for something to replace my two year-old Hardrock Comp, and naturally went to them first. Unfortunately, I don't grok marketroid. Tell me, if you had a choice between these three bike models, which would you pick?

"Whether you're winning sprint finishes, dropping your friends on a climb, or just trying to better your best lap time on a favorite off-road loop, the Model A is the bike for blazing speed and ruthless efficiency."

"If you need an animal that will take you deep into the mountains or through your challenging local trails (and home again), then check out the Model B, bikes that spell fun, durability and true off-road performance."

"Every Model C is a competent rig for true trail riding, but they're light and versatile enough to also handle more all-purpose duties, like riding around town."

The people at Specialized say that they want me to "have an idea of what kind of experience the bike may offer." I'd be happy to have an idea of what the hell they are selling. And, as long as they don't mind divulging their trade-secret crank lengths and seat angles, why not tell us something useful, such as bike weight?
being only 51, but I understand it. 1) Hardtail/lightweight 2) Fullsuspension bike 3) Either an entry level hardtail, or a hybrid.

As for crank arm lengths if you do a search on the computer you wrote this on you'll get a simple answer. I use a fairly standard 175mm crank arm length. The seat angle depends solely on you. So quit your whining, start researching. You're old enough to know better.
 

·
They say I have a problem
Joined
·
460 Posts
For once Fred is right....

Hit the Specialized website and have a look...All the specs are there for your viewing...nothing is hidden, you just need to search...

Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
I can decode that.

Crusty Oldman said:
"Whether you're winning sprint finishes, dropping your friends on a climb, or just trying to better your best lap time on a favorite off-road loop, the Model A is the bike for blazing speed and ruthless efficiency."

"If you need an animal that will take you deep into the mountains or through your challenging local trails (and home again), then check out the Model B, bikes that spell fun, durability and true off-road performance."

"Every Model C is a competent rig for true trail riding, but they're light and versatile enough to also handle more all-purpose duties, like riding around town."
A = Singlespeed
B = Shuttle Pig
C = Cross Bike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate Fred's interpretation of the models--much more understandable--but think he missed the point in my last sentence. Brad's is even better. I wonder if Babelfish could offer translations like this!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top