Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
fun things are fun
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So iv'e decided to join the corp

just a couple of questions i know i can't bring my bike to boot camp :D
But i was just wondering where all of you are stationed at and where you ride and where do you store your bikes on base.

also any advice before i go to boot camp

·
Registered
78 Posts
OORAHH! Devil Dog,

I got out of the corps about a yr and half ago, I was station all over, NC, SC, Spain, Japan, Some of the best riding i had was in NC, did some road riding in Japan too, but if you go there make sure you do some scuba diving, on of the top spots in the world for scuba

You'll see when you get there though, owning a bike in the Barracks is kind of tough!

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
M.A.R.I.N.E.--Muscle's Are Required Intelligence Not Essential. :D I was NAVY so I HAD to say something. Congrats on your enlistment. I'm glad I did some time in the service myself and the benefits help when you're done. Hope you do well and be careful if you head to Iraq or someplace like that.

Some advice:

1) In bootcamp, be like Forest Gump. You know NOTHING! PAY ATTENTION! You're an empty vessel to be filled. Do NOT question you're DI. If he says the sky is green and the clouds purple, then they are. You WILL do lots of push ups because of someone else's screw up. I know we did.

2) Save your cash when you can. I blew alot of paychecks drinking. I'm not saying not to have fun, but set some aside.

3) Sign up for the GI BILL. You might not plan on using it but you never know. I never planned on attending college but signed up anyways. They take out a certain amount for your first year and you have like 10 yrs AFTER you get out to use it all. Trust me, it's worth it. I used mine up in trade school and college. I've known a few guys that told me they wished they had when they had the chance.

Good Luck dude!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I always wanted to be a Navy... but shortsight didn't allowed me to.

I should've been a good soldier/sailor... my parents thaught me to obey and keep my mouth shut. Obviously I never learnt but I still recall my grand ma saying to me "Look, Listen and Shut up!"

ne uncle of mine is a Captain at the Mexican Navy, now out of Sea Duty but he always took me to his ships when I was a kid and taught me to use the Sextant, the Radar and then some.... I hardly remember any of it, but I always wanted to be in the Military Navy.

Now it's too late... I'm 30, I'm an ME...

Any pics you can share???

Best Wishes to you all!!

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Was A Squid

I ride with a couple of Jarheads. Both Aholes! and cant ride for Sh!t :D Sorry Mike and (Tim)Chick Just kiddin' ! these guys are good peeps! yeah they're both down at the AirSta in Beaufort workin f18s
i was in the navy for almost 7 years Claim to fame, puked in 2/3 the worlds continents! Sweet! got out in 93

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Army,but took basic training with marines at ft.maclellan alabama.Them guys could march.
ADVICE.
I worked out hard before i went in,it made basic a breeze.Stay organized as bed making,shoe shining,and dress code are big deals.
Don't be intimidated,your so motivated that you will surprise yourself.
Alot of people get home sick the first week or two,rise above that and you'll be fine.
Overall i had a great time and made alot of really close friends and like another post said,drank alot of beer.

Goodluck

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
I'm going to Navy OCS in a few months. They got Marine Drill Instructors there. I'm really looking forward to someone yelling at me again for a few months :D (I was already in the Army).

Since I've already been through basic training with harda$$ drill sergeants, I couldn't help but laugh during the OCS video I was required to watch a few days ago. The drill instructors put on a huge show and that is really all it is. It's a serious show, and you better take it serious, but I couldn't help buy laugh when they were yelling at people. It brings back memories....

Boot camp will suck like nothing else for the first 2 weeks or so. That is the most critical time period and that is when the most people will wash out. It will involve little sleep, lots of PT, lots of yelling, and so on. After those first 2 weeks they back off a little bit, not much, but enough to make every day a little less than a living hell. After enough time it gets to be a comedy show when the drill sergeants start making fun of stupid people. You'll get some memorable quotes and lines from the experience.

Best advice; Do what you are told. When you get to an actual unit, the enviroment will be completely different than boot camp. You just have to endure boot camp and remember that the military and marines are not like boot camp. Remember that one day you'll be out of there and you'll go on to do different things. Practice your PT as much as you can before you get there. They will push you hard and being in shape will make all the difference. You have to run, do pushups, situps, and pullups. Don't waste your time with other phsyical fitness regimens, those are the critical things for the PT test and you'll be wasting time doing other stuff (working with weights, riding bikes, etc). I'm not saying you shouldn't ride your bike, but understand that riding your bike doesn't make you a faster runner, you have to run to do that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't say anything. Don't volunteer for anything. Don't try to fix anything.

No one gives a rats behind what you did in boot camp, so it's not important to be a superstar at that point. If you try to stand out, you may end up getting the wrong kind of attention. If you're going to walk on water, do it when your out of basic and into real schools, or at your final command.

Congratulations and good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Been there, done that.
My best advise came from a Vietnam era Marine....
Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut!

As already mentioned, don't even think twice about signing up for the GI Bill. It finished my college and beyond. Very well worth it and you'll thank yourself in the longrun.

Another thing I always remind those that ask my opinion....
Remember that your going into a fighting force and that it's purpose is combat. It's always bugged the crap out of me that people that volunteer complain that they are sent into harms way. No, it's not fun and noone in their right-mind ever WANTS to get shot at, but it is your job and purpose for being part of the greatest fighting organization in the world!

To all you squids, dogs and fly-boys that replied, there is nothing that even comes close to comparing to the Corps! Now that was said in kidding as we all know that when the crap hits the fan, there's no finer friend either.

SEMPER FI to all those faithful!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not a Marine...

I served The Queen in Infantry and Special Forces Group, so these bits of advice will help you out.

Rest. When you are told to rest, rest. The DI will tell you when you should maintain your kit and when to run around playing "Silly Bugger".

Care for your feet. As a Marine you will do a lot of walking, running, marching, crawling, more running and jumping. Keep your feet dry as much as you can, bring spare socks in unlubricated condoms (Trust me on this).

Watch out for "buddy". You are going to be part of a team, watch your fellow Marine's back, 'cause if you don't and he dies, who's gonna watch yours when your number's up? I am serious.

While you don't want to be a "Super Star" you want to do your best. Don't worry, for the first six weeks it won't be good enough, that's the way of IMT. Any body who doesn't do it like they mean it shouldn't f*cking be there.

Watch, listen and learn. Watch what the DIs do in the field, listen to what they say and learn where they hide the booze. Only half joking here. These Marines have been in the service long enough to be trusted with training you lot, so they are switched on.

Good Luck.

When you are ready for the sharp end, drop me a line. I'll give you some pointers on how to make it through a desert war.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been in the navy for 18 years now. 14 of that has been in the reserves. Some bases have a place where you can store bikes. Sometimes you can store them in your room. The marines are very different from Navy. Not sure how they handle things like bike storage on the marine bases.

When I was on the USS Nimitz we just found a storeroom to keep them in. Or chained them up on the dock during the work day.

I rode my bike to work everyday when I was on the nimitz. I didn't have to fight traffic, fight the parking problems and I got to park right on the pier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Starflyer59 said:
I have been in the navy for 18 years now. 14 of that has been in the reserves. Some bases have a place where you can store bikes. Sometimes you can store them in your room. The marines are very different from Navy. Not sure how they handle things like bike storage on the marine bases.

When I was on the USS Nimitz we just found a storeroom to keep them in. Or chained them up on the dock during the work day.

I rode my bike to work everyday when I was on the nimitz. I didn't have to fight traffic, fight the parking problems and I got to park right on the pier.
He's going into the Marines, so bike storage won't matter. You know what happens when you leave a Marine alone in a room with a rock? The rock ends up either broken or stolen. :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
I remember watching the "Boys in Company C" and thinking "Hey, I stood on those yellow footprints too". Before boot I didn't know the 'F' word was a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, predicate noun, my name, and every other word out of a DI's mouth.

Now you can get that Marines Jersey that performance has in its latest catalog.

OORAH!!! Simper Fi.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If the Marine Corps wants...

you to have a mountain bike they'll issue you one!!! No get down and give me 50 Seabiscut!!!!!!

Man are you in for one hell of a ride and I don't mean on your bike either. Although they do have an exercise or twenty that'll give you that much more energy to ride your bike.....when they issue it younogoodassgrabbinguselesspieceofcrap!!! Just getting you ready junior. Congratulations on joining the finest fighting force in the world cumbubble. :D

You'll hear all sorts of nice nicknames while you're at camp.

If you want to bring a bike you'll pay for shipping. As for storage that'll be up to you too, but you'll work something out. Have fun and never say "I can't". Do it till you pass out.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
jerome_oneil said:
Don't volunteer for anything. Don't try to fix anything.
Unless you're going out to be an officer like JM. Then, the opposite is true.

Edit: thanks for the backup Pacman. I thought the advice sounded strange, but figured maybe regular bootcamp must be different than camp for officers.

You will probably get yelled at more by sticking out, but remember- it is only a game. Just take it and move on to the next thing to make yourself standout. Unless you screw up REALLY bad, you'll be better for this in the end. I was a "stealth cadet". I'd never been yelled at for anything I did like that, and it sort of freaked me out. In hindsight, that was stupid. So I'd have to do a few extra pushups, but would have the chance to get higher ratings (maybe even be a distinguished graduate and have my 1st choice of assignments). Big deal. No brainer. It is just a game you have to play. It is those guy's job to yell at you for anything they can. Don't take it personally.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
jerome_oneil said:
Don't say anything. Don't volunteer for anything. Don't try to fix anything.

No one gives a rats behind what you did in boot camp, so it's not important to be a superstar at that point. If you try to stand out, you may end up getting the wrong kind of attention. If you're going to walk on water, do it when your out of basic and into real schools, or at your final command.

Congratulations and good luck.
Bad advice, do your best every day. Work harder at everything. You could be advanced one grade (E1 to E2) in boot camp. A few dollars more but a step on the ladder to more privileges.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
TXNavy said:
Which community are you going into? I'm an EDO, was a SWO...
NFO

I like to pull Gs, and yes, I've already pulled Gs :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.