Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cereal Killer
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in search of a new bike, as my Santa Cruz Blur is too small for me. I have been looking in the Quality book at work (bike shop) and found a brand named BMC. Has anyone here heard of them? How are they? The Fourstroke models have a version of the VPP, but name it something different. Any input? I searched the manufaturer forums, but found nothing. Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't know anything about their mountain bikes, but they make some awesome road bikes ridden by Tyler Hamilton, Floyd Landis and the Phonak crew. The crosslock lugs on the roadies and some of their hardtails look downright amazing. Check out their website here

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Chad,

I just rented a BMC Fourstroke 03 this past weekend at Tsali and can offer some impressions of how it rode, etc.

First of all, the bike seemed to be solidly built, with clean welds, smooth matte black paint, and a stiff rear end (no flex). The particular bike I rode weighed about 28.5 pounds and was equipped with some fairly heavy components: LX integrated cranks, SRAM X9 Drivetrain w/X-Gen F.D., Rockshox Reba SL fork, FSA stem/bar/seatpost, and Cane Creek Terros wheels.

On the downhills, the bike felt rock solid and super stable. You didn't have to worry much about picking the right line as the bike would just float over rocks and roots. Very confidence inspiring. Also, in rooty sections, the bike felt like it tracked very well, and I was able to stay in the saddle the majority of the time. On the uphills though, the weight of the bike seemed to hold it back and it just didn't accelerate as quickly as my friend's 24 lb Stumpjumper. The rear end felt very efficient, however, and hardly bobbed even when I got out of the saddle.

The bike steered quickly enough, and was easily able to handle tight woods. Not too fast or slow. Personally, I prefer really snappy handling and an aggressive position, so the bike felt slightly more upright and laid back than I was used to. It felt like it was better suited to a 12/24 hr race than a quick 20 mile race (or cross country/trail riding rather than racing).

Anyways, I thought that it was a great bike and could hold its own against what other mainstream American bike manufacturers has to offer. If you have any particular questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

David

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Ray_from_SA said:
Swiss based company from what I recall, they make some very nice bikes.

Ever heard of Wheeler?
Their another European manufacturer which makes some great bikes but you don't hear about in the USA.
Wheeler is Taiwan based...but is a brand aimed at Europe.

·
Cereal Killer
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kennetht638 said:
For anyone who might still be wondering, the "crosslock" lug is the seat tube/top tube/seatstay lug that BMC uses to distinguish themselves. Here's a pic of their top of the line road racer.

Oh, I see what you're saying about the lugs. Yeah, they are pretty sweet looking. Well, found out I won't be able to get one. The bike shop has to be a dealer, and must order at least 3 or 4 frames/bikes at a time. O'well, at least it was a nice try. Sounds like a pretty nice bike though. Maybe one of these days...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.