Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard if Santa Cruz is planning to make any changes to the 5010 or Bronson similar to the new Nomad? Specifically:

• 1x only
  • recessed lower link --> shorter chainstay length
  • moulded internal routing
  • longer reach

I really like all of these features of the new Nomad but for my personal riding style I'd prefer something a bit steeper with longer reach. I realize that the Bronson and 5010 are relatively "young" in terms of product life cycle but it would be great to see these features make it to the shorter travel brethren.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I cannot see them changing the Solo or the Bronson to the newer lower link unless they can incorporate a front mech. If they cannot then they are cutting off a lot of the reach for a new frame as some people still run front mechs and moving them to 1x is not likely to happen soon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I read an interview with the SC designer (maybe on Sicklines?) and he mentioned that they had no intention of changing their shorter travel bikes (Bronson, Solo, TB, etc) to the new lower link design or switching them to 1x only configurations. I can't see why they wouldn't incorporate some of the other features like the internal cable routing though. The Blur TRc was updated with a 142mm reared and internal dropper post routing about 1 year after it debuted I think.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I believe that front derailleur support will remain in xc, trail (5010), and light enduro (Bronson) bikes for the foreseeable future. Nail in the coffin is the 2015 XTR groupset which still pushes front derailleur for the majority of people and only provides half-assed 1x support. However, 2015 XTR has a new front derailleur design which allows chainstays to be shortened! Maybe that will open the way for SC to implement the new raised lower link in 5010 and Bronson in future? However, with the ~3 year product cycle I wouldn't hold my breath. Nomad update took 4 years to materialize...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I was hoping they would do a Tallboy TR like a 120mm rear travel bike, internal cable routing, shorter chainstays, etc. THey told me that no plans for the Tallboy is in the works like this. Yet, even if there was plans they wouldn't tell me. I will say this, it looks like SC is evolving their bikes into some really outstanding things, based on the new Nomad. Not that their current bikes are not outstanding cause they are.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the replies. It makes sense that for the Bronson/Solo that they would keep the ability to run a front derailleur to give the option of a 2x setup. A minor thing but I would love to see that exposed lower link tucked up like on the Nomad. Perhaps with the new XTR mounting options will make this a possibility. This said, given the average 3 year product cycle, I won't hold my breath on a mid-model change. All I can say is that Santa Cruz sure is making some amazing bikes these days that it's hard to choose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.